World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a sudden influx of sub 1lb codling at the mo.Good to see.Maybe there will be a Cod season next year............

·
Premium Member
9,556 Posts
I hate to be pessimistic ....... but someone said the very same thing this time last year and if I'm not mistaken the year before as well.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Well I thought the same last year, we were catching them left, right and centre.now look at it. And it's not us fishermen that are catching them.

G

·
I was walking the west pier this morning as part of the dog walk:rolleyes:
a seal in the river side was chomping on a codling around 2-3lb

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Theres plenty offshore. Inshore isn't cold enough to bring them in I don't think!
We normally used to start catching cod from the end of August at top of channel often fishing for them in our shorts and "T" shirts ----They certainly not put off by warm water.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
We normally used to start catching cod from the end of August at top of channel often fishing for them in our shorts and "T" shirts ----They certainly not put off by warm water.
I tend to agree, I think we read to much into temperatures, and freshwater.

·
Premium Member
9,556 Posts
I don't want to start discussions that have been done on here already, about the following years prospects.

I hope WISKAS1 is right and next years cod catches are better than this years.

I also believe that as responsible anglers we should take ever care to release with care any fish we catch that are not destined for the dinner table. I also believe that if we are getting a glut of "undersize mini fish " we should consider either changing our fishing method or dare I say it " stop fishing for them ".... rather than put fish back that have little chance of survival. I shudder when I hear reports of 20 / 30 mini coddling being caught.
Controversial ?? ....... Who ME !!!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I also believe that as responsible anglers we should take ever care to release with care any fish we catch that are not destined for the dinner table. I also believe that if we are getting a glut of "undersize mini fish " we should consider either changing our fishing method or dare I say it " stop fishing for them ".... rather than put fish back that have little chance of survival. I shudder when I hear reports of 20 / 30 mini coddling being caught.
Controversial ?? ....... Who ME !!![/QUOTE]
You are 100% right buddy there are "anglers" who defo dont do enough to avoid undersize fish in fact there are even anglers who are targeting the undersize codling and posting photos of their "cod" catch claiming its better than blanking !!!??? Hard hats on prepare for incoming lol

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
It's funny, if I catch a small Ray Bass or hound I never think it's going to be good year for that species the following year so why do people keep thinking this where Cod are concerned ? In fact I can't think of any other immature sea fish where this is said so much.
The next tiny pout I catch I am going to start a thread about how these fish will be back as ten pounders the following season.

·
Premium Member
9,556 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,556 Posts

·
Premium Member
39,074 Posts
It's funny, if I catch a small Ray Bass or hound I never think it's going to be good year for that species the following year so why do people keep thinking this where Cod are concerned ? In fact I can't think of any other immature sea fish where this is said so much.
The next tiny pout I catch I am going to start a thread about how these fish will be back as ten pounders the following season.
I think small bass get the same treatment :eek::eek::D

With bass it is a slow game but with cod they put on weight far quicker so one would think small cod this year good show of in size fish next year :rolleyes::rolleyes:

One of the problems this year has been the weather and actually having some decent shore time and boat fishing, the Belle has not seen decent water under the keel for weeks due to bad weather (wind)

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have never, until reading this thread, given small fish survival rates a second thought. If I've had a hard few days in work, and want to get away from it all, I'll emerse myself in my favourite hobby and depending on the season or my mood, I'll sometimes try and catch as many as I can just to make me feel good. Using size 2 or even size 4 hooks on multi hook set ups.

I'll ALWAYS do my best to return my catch, with minimal handling, a quick measure or photo, as I enjoy watching the kick of the tail on even the smallest fish. I even reel in slower these days to not 'drown' a small fish or whatever it's called.

I won't lie there are casualties (let's say 2 in 10) and I'll try to either use as a dead bait there and then or freeze for use on the boat trips.

I definately fit the profile described above and have never honestly looked at myself that way, only posting on here to stimulate my fellow anglers into going fishing.

That said, I now think that maybe I shouldn't go fishing with small hooks to catch as many as possible. Just to feel good after a hard day. I totally agree with you (Not so, Yatoes) that maybe I should leave the delicate immature fish alone and sit it out with a bigger hook for a fish that can cope with the stress of being reeled in and handled.

This forum has its good uses......

·
Registered
532 Posts
I will add tho, in my limited knowledge, I do believe that the growing localised seal populations are playing their part in fish stock decimation. It's amazing how much weight of fish they need to eat to stay alive.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Hector its good to discuss things with fellow wsf members without trading insults and obscenities your post was a breath of fresh air ---even if someone doesnt agree with summat I post ---I always try to respect other peoples views and discuss it with them ---- sometimes its difficult but I always try :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Cheers. It's all part of the evolution of the fisherman isn't it. The angler of the future will be vastly different to the angler of the past. And this thread may save hundreds of immature fish from their premature death (10 sessions at 10 per session)

Only trouble is now, I'm going to sit it out with a bigger hook for a few sessions, become depressed, and then start believing the grass is greener on the golf course (which of course it is, unless your fishing St Brides).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts