World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on saturday after work i went with my boy and a mate to get razor at oxwich to use at top water ,but one thing led to another and we couldnt go,so after work today i had 4 hours spare, which coincided with low water,so i headed off to the the centre of three cliffs beach with the razors,my boy,the missus and the rod, on the first cast i hooked into something heavy ,i lost it in the waves about 10 feet from the shore, i'd like to think it was a roaming bass, but past experience tells me when fishing with a 3 hook flapper and strips of razor, i'd probably lassood a dogfish and i was hauling him in backwards and hadnt set the hook properly, when at six o clock i saw a nod and by this time it was touch and go to get back across the river safely, so i reeled in and to my amazement it was a plaice!just under 2 pounds! my missus and i both had cameras, but in all the exciement of catching my first fish since christmas, all i was concerned about was getting the lice off him,giving him a spring clean and letting the boy put him back in the water and wathching him swim off , i'm chuffed to bits!! my first visit this year to my mark and it was productive ,watch this space!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my mate, who i gathered razor with went down oxwich the same night with a friend and didn't even get a bite so, its still silly season off the shore, but the chap i'm working for went down the marina yesterday afternoon and saw a couple of trawlers coming in laden with bass!,1sorry to put a downer on things, if i were as eloquent as lendusaworm or blueskip, i'd probably be able to get my feelings across without any swearing, anyway thanks for the thanks ! i'm still chuffed, my boy went to school today and took the trace in, "minus the hooks " for show and tell to say what he'd been doing on the weekend,and said how he let the flatfish go back into the sea , i wander how long stuff like that will be able to happen, anyway you cantcatch fish from a couch.!!!

"it has been calculated that if no accident prevented the hatching of the eggs and each egg reached maturity,it would take only three years to fill the sea so that you could walk across the atlantic dryshod on the backs of cod" ~
~alexandre dumas

le grande dictionnaire de cuisine 1873 !

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
With an imagination like that, he should be writing adventure novels!
Now we know what the pilot whales are chasing do we? they are as bad as the gill netters!
blueskip

·
Registered
129 Posts
Welldone Dog Hop,

Sounds like a corker!!!

Was down there at the weekend myself with the dog on the beach and have always been curious about gathering razor..What am i looking for and whats the secret m8??
Any help would be great as i'm gonna give it a go this weekend!!!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Pottsy you wont collect any this weekend my old son, they are only available at low water on big Spring Tides, they live in the sub littoral zone (the area below low water mark ordinary tides), only exposed on Springs.
Ideally you need a 42ft+ tide at Swansea, & an offshore wind helps, (the onshore wind tends to keep the tide in), take a pot of salt, walk BACKWARDS along the receding tideline, & as the squirt soaks your behind & your crotch, pour a dessertspoon full of salt down the hole! Carry on walking & keep an eye on the holes you have salted, as they come up collect them by GENTLY easing them out of the sand, dont try to heave them out or you leave the foot behind!
blueskip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts