World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

May be a stupid question but im heading out to do some night fishing on a boat over some rough ground / anchoring near a wreck and wondered if i should be using the same tactics as if it were day?

cheers for any info

chris

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
Imo you are better off getting a good nights sleep and fishing during the day as far as deep water boat fishing goes. You will probably catch the same amount of fish but will make it more difficult and uncomfortable for yourself.

That said i hope you prove me completely wrong and have a brilliant nights fishing!

Ps if you put a glowstick on your line i hope you like pouting !

·
Registered
194 Posts
A couple of commercial fishermen in my neck of the woods told me that night fishing is rarely as productive in deep water at night as first/last light. They don't get up at an unearthly hour in the morning to be on the grounds for first light without reason......hope you prove us all wrong though :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Expect congers and lots of them, not funny unhooking them at night. Now if you were inshore fishing on sand you may well have a good night sole bashing, maybe even the odd bass and smooth hound on peeler. Check your nav lights, electronics and battery power before your trip.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I say 'go for it' Chris particularly if you're after congers. I love night fishing from my boat and find it very exciting.One important piece of advice that i was given when i first went out, and have found invaluable is;
Go to your mark during daylight avioiding any pots, nets , hazards etc.If you return during darkness, follow exactly the same trail home on your plotter hence avoiding those hazards. However, take it slow and keep your eyes open.I do have a searchlight but find it better on clear nights to allow my night vision to adapt.
The usual advice regrding nav lights, anchor light etc apply.

·
Registered
25,234 Posts
Expect congers and lots of them, not funny unhooking them at night. Now if you were inshore fishing on sand you may well have a good night sole bashing, maybe even the odd bass and smooth hound on peeler. Check your nav lights, electronics and battery power before your trip.
Reg is right,inshore fishing in shallow water may be worth doing,but cant see much benefit in fishing deep water at night,but as reg said check your kit first and give it a go,might be worth squid jigging this time of year.

G

·
We used to fish the Med at night - difference species, though. But I'd imagine the principle is the same. You need smelly, oily baits, as the fish rely on other senses than eyesight to find food.

Remember if you're anchored to show the second all-round white - and the best of luck.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Night fishing inshore can be better than in daylight but the advice from others is spot on, it is more difficult and even simple things are much harder to do. Braid tangles and other more difficult things are a nightmare.

It gets a lot colder at night so take plenty of warm clothing, it also seems rougher when you can not see the waves.
torches/ headlights and spare batteries are also essential

Have fun
Charlie

·
Registered
25,234 Posts
I say 'go for it' Chris particularly if you're after congers. I love night fishing from my boat and find it very exciting.One important piece of advice that i was given when i first went out, and have found invaluable is;
Go to your mark during daylight avioiding any pots, nets , hazards etc.If you return during darkness, follow exactly the same trail home on your plotter hence avoiding those hazards. However, take it slow and keep your eyes open.I do have a searchlight but find it better on clear nights to allow my night vision to adapt.
The usual advice regrding nav lights, anchor light etc apply.
Good advice,keep an eye out for any boats moving the hazards and dont just blast through on your course.We used to leave in darkness in the early hours to catch the macky,we knew roughly what pots/nets were around but i was allways up front on watch for any surprises,getting in trouble at night is very,very frightening!!!!(been there,done it).

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Night fishing inshore can be better than in daylight but the advice from others is spot on, it is more difficult and even simple things are much harder to do. Braid tangles and other more difficult things are a nightmare.

It gets a lot colder at night so take plenty of warm clothing, it also seems rougher when you can not see the waves.
torches/ headlights and spare batteries are also essential

Have fun
Charlie
How about trying just off chesil beach at night for the cod??

·
Registered
563 Posts
There are some good spots to the East of the Bill that I would fish at night, rather than go all of the way around.

Some interesting bits around by the mussel beds, and plent of potential for big eels.

I no longer go night fishing much, but usedto really enjoy it.

I would not advise single handed trips Paul.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. As I said, never been out at night and thought is give it a try. I'll be heading out of shoreham on a charter boat and trip not till mid Dec but will report bk when I've been.
Cheers again
Chris

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.