World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start night fishing. I already have a Ron Thompson beach shelter. Is that enough or do I need something more substantial? I will also be getting headlamps, a Coleman lantern and a Coleman stove. What else do you think I need? Do people take along a canister of gas to refuel the stoves if needed?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I want to start night fishing. I already have a Ron Thompson beach shelter. Is that enough or do I need something more substantial? I will also be getting headlamps, a Coleman lantern and a Coleman stove. What else do you think I need? Do people take along a canister of gas to refuel the stoves if needed?
u going fishing or camping m8t??:)
i just have a bag with- rigs,leads, headlamp, reels & a bait bucket & of cause
my rod, thats all u need m8t.
of cause if u want the extra gear thats up 2 u but u make it alot harder on ya self.
:g:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surely if the weather ain't to clever you need something to keep the wind and rain off? Your right about the stove, but surely a lantern in the shelter is handy.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
thats what the floatation suits 4 m8t, keep u warm & dry:)
like i said u can take what u like, thats up2 u m8t, if u r on a beach
no probs but if u r rockhopping u need 2 b as lite as poss.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
If I'm fishing just down the road then I'l not bother with a brolly, I'll just stick the hood up on my floaty.

Further afield then I might take it.

A lanten I only bother with if I'm out with the Mrs or her lad, so they can bait up without nicking my headlamp every 2 minutes. I'll also take it if I'm fishing dodgy ground, so I can see where I'm stepping.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Surely if the weather ain't to clever you need something to keep the wind and rain off? Your right about the stove, but surely a lantern in the shelter is handy.
2 b honest m8t i would'nt b taking no Coleman lantern or Coleman stove
in2 a shelter, if 1 of them goes up u wont get out m8t, safty first. keep them well away from the shelter;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, I will be fishing with a friend on beaches like dungie and reculver, so we will not be rock hopping. Between us we should be able to split the luggage okay.

Thing is, I have a heart condition and I need to be out of the wind and rain and sheltered and warm, otherwise my circulation virtually stops.

A lot of people say I should'nt go night fishing, but I am determined to as i'm damn sure my catch rate will improve fishing in darkness.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Try carrying all that gear along a beach or over a rocky mark as well as your rod, tripod, bait, rigs, sinkers ect. You,ll soon realise youve got way to much kit.

All i have is a 70 liter rucksack with my rigs, sinkers, spare spools of line and bit and bobs. My bait , head torch, rod and reel and tripod. Also wearing a flotation suit keeps you nice and warm

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Ron thompson shelter is fine...invest in a decent floatation suit and headlamp and away you go. No need for a lantern or cooker which is just extra baggage

My tips for night fishing....

Hot soup and a bottle of water are far more effective for keeping away thirst and keeping you warm than tea or coffee which can dehydrate you.

Don't fall asleep unless you are planning on camping and have a sleeping bag etc, if you are tired, go home. Keep a can of red bull in the car for the drive home. As soon as you get on the open road and the heater is on you get drowsy very quickly.

Be organised, try and arrive in daylight if possible to get set up, particularly if it is a new mark for you

Put reflective tape on your rod tips (better, more reliable and cheaper than tip lights) and a little bit of the tape on the handles of things like pliers/knives etc

Always carry a secondary light source light such as a cheap LED headlamp which you can pick up for a couple of quid on flea bay.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
so ,on the way home ,make sure the tent is down ,and lantern is off ,and the lamp too,could dazzle other drivers,oh and the gas is off too ,happy driving

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ok this is what I take with me on a night time sesh....
  • Ron Thomson shelter
  • Coleman Lamp
  • Beta Box to sit on (& carry gear of course)
  • Tripod
  • Either a Camping Gaz single burner or a disposable bbq.. theres nothing like the smell of bacon and burgers cooking on the beach at 3am:)
  • In the winter I also take a Camping Gaz heater which is a godsend when its frosty underfoot.
  • Occasionally take my rods too (b4 someone asks):roll1:
As mentioned above though, dont take lamps, heaters and cookers into the shelter as this could easily cause a fire, I always leave mine just outside when alight and use a light deflector when targetting Bass close in, who maybe easily spooked by an unknown light source.

Dont forget the obliglatory fishing suit, neoprene gloves, hat, flasks etc. Oh and several people to help you cart it all there :unsure:

On beaches like Dungie / Dengemarsh it certainly makes it 'less desolate'

Phil

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
dress warm , take waterproofs and a light
flask of coffee and a bite to eat tackle up as normal
lugging loads of gear and setting it all up can be more hassle than its worth
if the weather turns really nasty think about the time it took to pitch the shelter and unpack the rest of the gear compared to a dash to the car

·
Registered
11,462 Posts
it depends on where your going to be fishing.

looking at the previous threads and where they live/fish you will see that the guys fishing beaches like dungie which are fairly clean and steep where they wont be moving much with the tide, a base camp is a good idea for a long session.

then theres the norheast coast lads where the beaches arnt as deep or fishing from rocks following the tide up or down. in these areas the less you carry the better. even a tilley type lamp is a hinderance.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I generally don't take anything more than I would for a daytime session. I've always got two headlamps in the box (spare, just in case) and they provide all the light I need. I've got a Petzl Myo XP as my main light and a cheap Energizer one as backup which would be fine by itself.

I would seriously advise using reflective tape on the rod tip, I find it much easier on the eye than tip lights and I can see it from 30-40m away if I wander along the beach.

The Ron Thompson is fine, mine has been used in some right gales and on some freezing nights and is spot on. Never had it blow away or leak and if it gets really cold just close one of the doors and it will make a massive difference to the temperature.

My only change would be if it's supposed to get really cold when hat and gloves get added, cos I'm a wimp!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Personal experience of 20+ years of a chronic health problem. It has thrown heart. kidney, skin, breathing and fatigue problems. Fortunately rarely all at once and with breaks between problems.
If you have not far to walk to fish the beach shelter sounds good. Try to split it between friends if possible.
Carry only one food flask for something hot. A small bottle of water helps.
I used to carry 2 steel flasks, a load of food, Coleman lamp, enough spare leads to ballast a cruise ship, 3 rods, spare reels etc, etc........ would kill me now!
Concentrate on keeping yourself warm with modern thermal layers. Keep it all breathable. Buy the best clothing you can afford - there are some wonderful materials available.
Carry emergency medication - and some way to warn helpers of your condition in case you are incapacitated.
Spare tackle, clothing, food etc leave in the car. A walk back unloaded gives you a break and gets the circulation going.
Try to keep your sessions short. I find 4 hours good, 6 is my limit. I have done a few 24 hr+ sessions even in recent years - leaves me unwell for a week. Always seems a good idea at the time but not worth it.
The LED headlamps available now save the weight of a gas lamp or Coleman lamp.
I carry 2 headlamps and a LED torch. The three don't weigh a pound.
The right rod can help, I changed to a 14' Triplex and put the reel down butt. For a while I was really weak - the better balance and slower cast made a big difference.
Good you still get fishing though. If you overcome a problem and get a few fish the problem is history. Takes time to adapt though, patience and imagination required. And hopefully you have a few good friends.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I take exactly what I would take during a day session plus two headlamps, thats it. Just make sure you know where all your stuff is to save you looking for it :fish:

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Down our way we don't bother with beach shelters too much, the tide goes in and out so far that you would have to keep pitching it in a new spot every 20 minutes.

All I use is a waterproof suit, plenty of warm clothing if it's winter, hot drinks, a headlamp, some tip lights, and keep a dry towel in the car in case it rains, you have something to dry yourself with before you get back in to drive home. A base lantern is good sometimes as well, essential if you are on your own, as sometimes you have to walk down to the water to cast, and finding your way back to the tripod in the dark is easier with a lantern hanging on it, it gives you something to focus on.

It's good fun fishing at night, you don't get dopey dog walkers and dweebs on the beach, it's nice and quiet. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts