World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These days are there any better non liquid fuel lighting set ups available? If so, what are the pros and cons compared to petrol or parrafin storm lights?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I used to do a mantle most trips and a glass around every dozen! LED headlamp and tip tape is the way forward. The hiss and warmth does remind me of my childhood tho.......comforting on a cold winter beach when the shingle used to freeze.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Are u on fb if so check out tripods lights n rod building I’ve got the tripod light absolutely brilliant but don’t use mine as can’t night fish no more. So will b up for sale

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Lead acid batteries? Why not slip a few bricks in your box too? 😂

Loads of head torches available now that’ll provide plenty of light. Cheap ones direct from China come with risks but are cheap. More expensive ones regulate brightness as batteries drain, and have been heat management. All depends what you want to spend.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
That looks like a good bit of kit. Bit overkill maybe. I certainly wouldnt use it, were I bass fishing in the gutter; way too bright and shining on the water. Heavy as well if you need a lead acid battery as the power supply.

I use one of these or similar and an elastic band:

Dont use an ultrafire 18650 battery though, they have some adverse characteristics that may prove detrimental.

I strap the torch on to the crossbar of the tripod using the elastic band. Lights the rods along the length really well.

If I want better indication or am fishing in the gutter I mount the torch at right angles to the rods on a short section of alloy tubing stuck into the ground at the correct angle. That way the beam lights the tips (and line) rather than the rod spines and sea in front of me.

I find a torch of the type I've posted last about 9 hours on full beam, obviously depends on what light output the torch is rated at but around a claimed 20000 lumens seems fine for my needs.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I've used a Princetec Apex headlight for years and cannot fault it. The thing I like best is the fact that you can use any AA rechargable batteries in them. When the batteries finally reach the end of their life you can replace them quite cheaply. It also means you can always have spare batteries with you just in case they run low. I don't often fish more than 5 hours but you could do a long winter's night by simply changing batteries when the lamp starts to get dimmer. Personally I rarely if ever have it on full beam so it would last a good 6 hours. For the number of years that headlight has been used on a frequent basis the cost per session has been peanuts.

·
Registered
91 Posts
HI All.
I've been wondering about how we anglers use our head-torches in relation to fish welfare. The modern high output LED units can be very dazzling when directed straight at someone, as my father-in-law has proved to me on numerous occasions. This gets me to thinking about fish eyes. They must have evolved to capture as much light as possible, in the relatively murky conditions found in our waters, and they have no eyelids to shut, so should we be more careful about shining a new super, duper head torch directly in their eyes?
I've posted this within this thread as I'm in this area and this thread is on this subject, but I'll also post it on a country wide general thread.
Regards.
Skodabloke.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Lead acid batteries? Why not slip a few bricks in your box too? 😂

Loads of head torches available now that’ll provide plenty of light. Cheap ones direct from China come with risks but are cheap. More expensive ones regulate brightness as batteries drain, and have been heat management. All depends what you want to spend.

Yes I'm with you on that one, Scott. I too simply use a single battery headlamp.

Wearing varifocal spectacles on the beach is a pain at the best of times, but I found that the most difficult factor of fishing with a headlight, was baiting up. To do so I would tip my headlight down so that it was focused upon the hook. This meant that when I wished to look at my rod tips they were of course in darkness and if I tipped my head back so as to put them in to the beam, I could see nothing as I'm looking through the wrong area of my spectacles and it's simply blurred.

So I simply mount a second headlight on an extendable lightweight aluminium pole, the result, I can now view my illuminated rod tips by simply raising my eyes and looking through the distance viewing area of my glasses.

I have a fresh water type rod rest screwed in to top of the pole, which can prove useful to place a rod when moving the tripod up or down the beach.

IMG_20201012_234557.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi - This photo shows light from a cheapo ebay "head light." Strap cut off, bit of velcro for fixing. Get one with a "high low" intensity, as i find the low intensity is about right. I go with the above, a head light, and the single use rod tip light thingies. I wouldn't bother with the expensive headlights, more for safety critical activities like caving. They come with a flashing mode, which should be used if you catch a cod.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts