World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with lenghtening nights shorter days and an annoying workload, fishing time is now at a premium and will have to include the dark not my bag prefer daylight but beggars cant be choosers., no fear of clambering down the rocks in the pitch but what do I try to get started on this, ive read a few bits and bobs but none the wiser apart from there are experts out there.
want to have a go tomorrow Id expect a fair sized easterly chop and clear water any suggestions.
its average depth tidal and rocky with sand usual s devon place.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
hi mate dont know if u read my bit on old favourites ,the name of the game is paysions,
get there wile its still light enough unless u know the spot well and simply wait untill its 2-3 hrs dark.
i prefer an incoming tide.
im thinking of having a shot at midnight or tomorrow eve same time.
must check the tides first lol. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I do quite a lot of night-fishing. Usually it's because I'm heading out for the first light, but I wake up too early -- then there's not much else to do. I AM leery of too much slithering on rocks in the dark -- I'm a good deal older than you, I suspect -- so I tend to fish only spots I know well.

Best night-time lures for me are shallow swimmers (Wiggle-Stick, Maria Chase Angel Kiss, Fakebait NL, Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow, etc.) or unweighted softies (Hazedong Magnum, Sandra if there's no headwind).

The only thing I do differently is that I fish the lures slower. With the swimmers, I crank one turn, then wait a beat before the next crank. With the softies, I try my level best to do nothing at all, just keep in touch with the lure. On most of my marks, the best fish come from VERY close in (as in a couple of yards at most). At night, this is even more true. If I were to wade, I'd be beyond the fish. Generally I cast from about 10 feet back from the margin.

When nothing seems to be working, or when my back gives me gip from too much standing up and casting, I'll stick on a squid or a big piece of mackerel and let it wash around on a drift-line.

For me, the best things about night-fishing are:
1. Playing a fish when you can't see a blasted thing -- can be very exciting.
2. The weird stuff I get to see. On Monday of this week, a fox was rock-pooling, eating crabs. Then he was robbed by an owl, a HUGE owl. David Attenborough would kill for stuff like that.

Last thing: I reckon people with headlights are poison to night fishing. I don't use one, preferring a pencil torch, turned on only away from the sea, when I need to change a lure or somesuch. Whenever I have fished near one of these beacons of light, I have caught stuff-nothing. I read that red light doesn't scare fish, but I don't believe it.

I'm sure you'll have a load of fun, Matt, and soon be posting great reports of bass-in-the-dark.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Hiya Matt,

I mainly fish wading shallow reefs/broken ground at night........... water depth in front of me is usually 1 to 2 metres at most
My best catches have been on lipless shallow divers worked slow and steady with the rod at 45 degrees to the water surface.
Have tried a lot with toppers (WTD and very slow 'popping') but with little success compared to sub surface
Also clear or dark/black lures have caught most for me.
I use a red headlight......always with back to the sea..so's not to spook the fish.....well.......except for those swimming behind me !?!?!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Good luck Matt...I doubt I can offer up much you don't already know, but in my my limited experience of night fishing, I find it is more effective in high summer. By that I mean, in summer when there are only a few hours of darkness, fishing seems much better after dark and much harder in the day. This time of year it seems to make less difference...and you can catch equally well day or night if conditions are right....

Anyway, fwiw...fish slow and try a komomo II in joker fp if it will cast far enough for your region, cracking night time lure

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Great advice all :notworthy and thanks Matthew for asking the question.

I've read quite a bit of that before but there are still one or two little gems of information in there. Even though similar information gets posted in different places it's still good to have it confirmed and gives me confidence that I'm doing things right :thumbs:.

Good luck finding a Komomo II in JFP too, the words "rocking, horse and s**t" spring to mind :laugh: but if you do find one then can you please give me a shout? :help:

G

·
Fish ninja style

Go quiet, be slow and deliberate

Once on the mark, dont move until you have well and truly fished it out

Dont ignore very very close in

Take two light sources, just in case

Add a whistle and a mobile phone

Its much colder in the evning, even after a hot day - layers can be taken off, not put on if you havent got them

If you are in the water, plan a landing and exit strategy

Listen and focus, if you settle down and reflect on your senses, you can actually hear and pinpoint active fish.

Hit every nudge and touch, fish will still bite shy. Slow retieve, even a dead one can be effective

Overcast nights are far better than moonlight ones

Its a bit weird, I know, but I always do well in a "hunters moon", when the cloud passes quickly and is broken. This gives light and dark in waves and I always fish such an evening.

You can chat all you like if accompanied but scrape a rock and you'll see the fish you thought werent there.

Good luck, I love night fishing and the stealthy approach.

SWF

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone sound proper useful stuff in there, if id not read it Id have gone straight for the top else. never done pitch black dark with lures.

one thing that does puzzle me is seastate. we got bigger Ne winds at the moment, not brilliant anyway but expect the sea to have a chop to it.
is the nighttime blackness suited to a calmer sea.

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,719 Posts
I had my best pitch black session with a sandborer reeled at warp speed , i mean as fast as day ,
maybe faster to , just to prove a point :g:

not so sure about the slow things right down any more if im honest .

Not sure how bait in the dark behave , but im sure they have senses to , and move like lightning with a bass up there jacksy .

That said the best best best , night session i had was years ago , on a bubble float and tiny white red gill , and slow , slow slow , was the only way .

The sand borer session was in the same area they were nailing it during the same day .

So i thought it stupid not to use the same lure they were nailing hard at that time ..

Also it was a bright full moon , loads stars , and still , have tried new moons , pitch black , you name it , lots in very very good spots for big bass ..

few fish here and there , but for effort put in , not even half of what i had hoped for ,

All this , your catch MORE and BIGGER , at night , not a chance on my spots , And white on the belly , just whoops black hands down .

I also like a rattle in the lure , faint but there all the same :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I've had success at night in all sorts of wave -- from flat calm to a crashing hoolie. If it's pretty rough, I generally fish from a beach -- just because I feel safer that way. On beaches, I often have fish from well inside the nearest breaker, using very shallow swimmers, or bouncing a jighead sandeel thing.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
lol, mark forgets me think that he has the best big fish are up his way.
there are big fish down our way but few and far between,i think its all the estuaries that we have hence the amount o scoolies,
the big bass is mainly off shore in deeper water and will venture in at night.but then nothing is deffo with bass.and after 10 jrs over here im still having to rethink what i think i know, lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.