World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, If I were to dig red rag in my local estuary, where there are signs clearly stating "No Bait Digging", would I be within the law to continue to dig the red rag and claim they were food for the fish in my marine aquarium? I think I would!

Any views?

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Just do it!! :) Lets us know what happens.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The sign still says no 'digging' with that being the operative word. Still it would not stop me as you have to think how many people are likely to enforce that law. If you were caught out and prosecuted i would think that awfully unfortunate.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sign still says no 'digging' with that being the operative word. Still it would not stop me as you have to think how many people are likely to enforce that law. If you were caught out and prosecuted i would think that awfully unfortunate.
Disagree. "No Bait Digging" means you are not allowed to dig for bait. "No Digging" and I would not have started this thread.

NRA patrols are fairly common in my area.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Disagree. "No Bait Digging" means you are not allowed to dig for bait. "No Digging" and I would not have started this thread.

NRA patrols are fairly common in my area.
I think the only clarity will come from a qualified answer from someone in the legal profession. In my area 'policing' is increasing, but many people still dig and place crab traps where they shouldn't and still come to no harm. I think that it will all depend on land ownership, although i believe the 'wright to dig bait' may be mentioned in Magna Catra. Appropriate etiquette and consideration for others should always be applied though, i would not dream of digging harbour rag near the mourings of somebodys boat.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Personaly define the word "bait" we know what it means but take it to court and see,no doubt you will get done,just cant win in this nanny state. jokeing aside worms is worms bait is bait.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
unless the sign has been put up by the MOD or the area has been officially designated as a nature reserve, or the local bye laws state that the area is for boat mooring, you should be able to dig under the magna carta.

unless you are un able to gain access to the beds, without trespassing.

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
just an alternative view guys, not necessarily my own, but something that did cross my mind,

people are asked not to dig for various reasons, maybe a decline in species, or damage to the banks etc, yet it is considered by many, a 'right' to continue to dig them regardless of the fact they're being told not too, does that not sound a little like our trawling friends ? ie those who continue to rob the natural resources, until one day there'll be none left ? !!

just pause for thought, that's all !

·
Registered
56 Posts
The foreshore is currently about 50% owned by the crown estate and the remainder is the responsibility of the local councils. The crown estate can ban digging on their property and the council can pass a bylaw to prevent bait digging usually at the request of the RSPB or because the site is classified as a SSSI.

In either case the sign should say who is banning digging so as you can be sure that whoever comes along to enforce such a practice are doing so officially.

There is also the factor of who's land you pass over to get to the area you are digging.

The proposals in the Marine Bill White paper are to pass control of the sea up to the high water mark as opposed to the current rule of the low water mark to the local SFC's. This would at least ensure we as anglers are informed via our angling representation on these committees of any proposal to limit bait digging. We would also know who is responsible for the foreshore and who is the enforcement agency.

Cheers
Dave

·
The Bean Counter
44,170 Posts
If you park in an area that has a sign reading no parking, what do you expect to happen?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
basically if it's being inforced by the proper authority(as fastd said) then don't dig. if it's just been put up by any tom, d**k or harry then go for it.

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
If it is lug pump them ..that is not digging.

G

·
0 Posts
Wear bright yellow oil skins work as a pair one of you dig and one hold a clipboard have size weight and number on it. have a letter of permission from some bigwig allowing you to carry out this work towards your phd blaa blaa should work

1 - 15 of 15 Posts