World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
myself and dave went to steetly for a couple of hours last night from 8 - 12pm.

armed with anoconda rag, clam, crab, mussel and mackerel we thought we were bound to get a couple of nice fish

a few lads walking off as we went on had had nothing but one had had a single whiting.

a few fished the platforms areas and hadnt had a bite.

the end straight on was empty but the rubbish and bait everywhere said it had been busy during the day.

a couple of lads on the concrete had only had one whiting and said that no cod had been cauight all day.

still full of enthusiasm and good bait we set up on the very end. i used 6/0 hooks determined to get that cod and not drop it and hopfully keep the smaller fish off.

as soon as our baits were on the bottom the rod tips rattled away constantly as whiting tugged at the huge baits we sent out. the shear size of the baits meant they wernt getting hooked, but that left them for the cod:)

dave, did however manage a couple of whiting and i had a whiting and dab on the big baits.

after 4 hours and no sign of any cod and the rods still rattling as soon as they hit the bottom we gave up:giveup:

had we set out to get whiting i,m sure we could have had them 2 at a time every cast all night. but that wasnt the plan.

the lads on the concrete left before us and had caught a codling about 8oz. the 4 lads further back near the platforms also had nothing as we left.

we still enjoyed being out though even with the stiff northerly in our faces all night.

going by the numbers of people fishing lately on there i think most have given up on a cod this year. normally with a sea like that it would have been lit up like an oil platform and shoulder to shoulder all the way along.

maby next time.:g:

thats what keeps us going.:)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
well I've just got back in from the jetty & not even a bite in 6 hours so there's no cod down here either bud :schmoll:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Hard luck bill, it seems they are there on one tide and gone the next these days.
Might try early tomorrow. Have to be home by mid day but can probs. manage 6 till eleven. Might be an odd one about with these winds still in right direction.

Cheers. Bob.

·
Registered
122 Posts
my first winter fishing had 3 cod on my first outing at tunstall beach, 2 the next at paull on the river humber last nov but no cod since plenty of whiting but experience anglers i talk to said its been a very bad year for cod now its getting warmer things would not improve

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Nice report Bill as always i got one flatty last night sea wasnt big at all at lynemouth. Think im with you tomoz Dave (j.v) rather stand on the beach fishing light for flattys having a good bit crack rather than try and convince myself that i will catch a biggy as i just dont think its gonna happen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts