World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get hold of any peeler crabs frozen or fresh anywhere and I want to target hounds what is my best to use except crabs ? I have some blueys , squid and sandeel in the freezer and thinking of maybe going to the supermarket and getting some frozen king prawns to try ? Any advice please chaps ?.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
On my patch (the Fylde coast) lugworm/squid cocktails, whole squid or ragworm are what works if peeler crabs are scarce. We do get the very occasional one on mackerel or bluey but have found the Hounds don't seem to like sandeel (even in a cocktail) as the odd time one is picked up it's dropped almost straight away.
Rick😜

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks chaps all very Intresting stuff 👍 I was thinking of maybe trying some king prawns too ? Never had a hound so desperate to get one and hoping for a Ray too 🤞 fishing tomorrow and Sunday so will report back

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can't get hold of any peeler crabs frozen or fresh anywhere and I want to target hounds what is my best to use except crabs ? I have some blueys , squid and sandeel in the freezer and thinking of maybe going to the supermarket and getting some frozen king prawns to try ? Any advice please chaps ?.
go get some hard backs ,hounds will take a hard back readily

·
Registered
20,444 Posts
It seems really weird they don't like fish baits ?
In this country they don’t. I know in Australia and other places they do. I suppose it depends on what’s locally available.

Very rarely, including last year, here we had a real glut of medium sized pack fish about 5-7lb and they must have been competing for food because that’s the only time I’d heard of them being caught on mackerel.

But at best it would be a fluke catch - far better to match the bait that works to the fish rather than wasting your time with mackerel etc because ‘it might work’

Imo the order of effectiveness would be peeler, squid and ragworm (which can work well but seems to be a bit area dependent).
Or indeed anything crabby including hardbacks.

I wouldn’t be particularly confident using prawns in this area (unless they were live prawns, which is deadly), but I know people have success on them in other areas.

I’d definitely avoid fish baits though.

·
Registered
20,444 Posts
Frozen raw king prawn from super markets works for hounds , Squid works ive had loads of hounds on squid , as mentioned hard back crab works but probably the best bait other than peeler is live shrimp and its free
I’ve had great success on live prawn but it depends on being at a mark where I can catch them in the prawn trap while fishing. Usually only really seem to pick the prawns up in any number after dark, I’ve found.

Certainly on this coast crab and squid seems to be the best baits although admittedly I’ve never tried raw prawn for them.

Must admit as well, I’m not especially thrilled by hounds these days. Not really sure why as they’re fun to catch but usually after one or two sessions on them in a season I tend to lose interest.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts