World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I left Aberystwyth harbour on friday late afternoon, boat was great all the fix's that I had done over the winter was put to the test, everything was going well. I tested the lowrance 4x elite dsi all good.

Tried a few good spots but blanked must still be a bit too early, decided to move out to consti hill but before I did I noticed a boat over the trap, carried on fishing but blanked again. Decided to come back in as it was starting to get dark, on doing so I noticed the boat was still there over the trap so raced over to see if everything was ok, on approaching I could see the owner of the boat waving me down I came round his stern and asked if everything was ok, turns out he is in big trouble his engine has failed and he anchor is not holding. Check the depth under the keel and we only have 8 ft and the tide is turning, I instruct the man to go back into the cab as the waves were throwing the boat around and as he was an elderly gent it was not safe top deck, I came along side and said it was not safe and that I needed to get him help we are both single handed it was too difficult to effect a rescue. I got on the disc..... You would not believe it hit mayday and boom lost power fuse had gone put my replacement in and boom gone again bloody hell, so told owner I would head in and raise the alarm. on way in some rowers were heading back in so as I knew they were going to the RNLI slip asked them to call for help.

I headed back out by this time the tide was making the waves larger and the swell was now starting to pull the boats anchor, I shouted over help was on the way the boat was now moving closer to shore and greater swell I decided that I needed to try and do something to help I got my anchor rope and started to tether to my aft cleats and tried to get along side to give the rope, but things just got worse his boat hit by a wave nearly smacked into my boat so I decide that it is too dangerous to effect a rescue, just as I try again the RNLI boys turn up and I apologise for not being able to assist more effectively but with tide, and his boat size and the gentleman's age plus both being single handled it was just not safe to assist further, I handed over and said I would stand down.

I returned to the harbour berthed up and hung around to offer assistance to RNLI in helping to birth the boat but as the coastguard turned up decided to leave it to the pros, said hi to the guys got my kit off the boat and headed home empty handed fish wise but felt happy that I had been able to. Help if nothing else to offer emotional support, and just having someone close.

As a side note after going back and looking as to why the radio had blown somehow water had got into it over the winter, not sure how as it was stored in the house, still new radio installed new fuses added and spare replaced.

So fishing report was simple nothing to report sadly though I only tried feathers shads and a few sidewinders, this weekend I will try patches and see how that goes

Tarwddu

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Well done Tarwddu. You can catch fish most days but saving somebody's skin is something altogether more important. Good on you.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
unlucky on no fish but wow, that is dramatic. the old guy on the boat in trouble must have been worried sick. well done on helping, some people would just drive past.
thanks for posting
conor

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well done on that mate . Getting the right help . When your single handed and the conditions aren't right you can get yourself in bad trouble . Bad luck on the fish but all in all a more interesting day than watching the telly . Next time you'll nail em .

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
A big well done there fella.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Glad it ended well for everyone. If you are going out, especially alone, you should always call the coastguard for a radio check at the start of the trip. At least then you know the radio works and you won't suddenly get a problem just when you need it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad it ended well for everyone. If you are going out, especially alone, you should always call the coastguard for a radio check at the start of the trip. At least then you know the radio works and you won't suddenly get a problem just when you need it.
Something that I shall now do, I shied away from it before but think I will do for sure now

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Yeah as Cascars said well done for helping the poor guy, he must have been worried.

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Anybody reading this must take their hat off to you, well done mate. Done a couple of similar things years back and also know for fact that there are some that would not help out.

Regards

Harry

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Something that I shall now do, I shied away from it before but think I will do for sure now
Don't be shy, it could save lives. In busy periods some coastguards (e.g. Solent) ask you to use their working channel, otherwise just call up on Ch 16. It gives them something to do when it's quiet ;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I go out single handed a fair bit but never go without a radio check (Dover Port Control) and always take a handheld as well.

Respect to the OP for his assistance, in the old guys position I don't think there is such a thing as "limited" assistance, anything is better than feeling alone out there.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Well done on helping out.

I can't believe there are people out there that wouldn't help someone in need/distress. It is a principle of maritime law that all vessels answer and assist others in distress at sea. Surely as humans it is an obligation on all of us to look out for each other when on the water.

When asking for radio checks you don't always need to ask the coastguard. If your going out of a harbour you can ask harbour control/port control for radio checks or if they are known to be out mates. This will ease coastguards work load in busy times.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all your comments, i have one question that came out of all of this that i am not sure for when i was going to call the Mayday how should i identify my boat? is it a small speed boat or small fishing boat? it is like a Wilson flyer

Thanks Tarwddu

G

·
Thanks for all your comments, i have one question that came out of all of this that i am not sure for when i was going to call the Mayday how should i identify my boat? is it a small speed boat or small fishing boat? it is like a Wilson flyer

Thanks Tarwddu
Small fishing boat:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts