World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went out this afternoon in the fal after giltheads.tring to break a duck same as last year.had rag and peeler as bait.started fishing at low nothing for a hour .then a small rowing boat came long about 500m away.went to the shore a dropped off box and a bloke and precied to row in a arc with a net coming out rowed back to shore.then pulled it in looked like they had small bass in it which they kept.i thought this was illegal but not sure.then the harbour master came up river and total ignored them.while they were still pulling in the net.does anyone know if this is legal? at about 2 hours up had a thumping bite and a hard fight .thought this is my first gilthead but it turned out to be a bass of about 2 to 2 1/2 lb gave hell of a scrap on lite gear.it swam of to grow bigger next cast had another bass a bit smaller.fished til 6 with no more bites

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Sounds a bit dodgy to me :nono:.Bad luck on not getting a bream.Well done on the bass:clap:. All the best marty.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
they were probably sandeeling.
The man is right and if you want live or frozen eels for bait then this is something that you will all have to put up with. They don't magically appear! not that it does any harm, a few pulls on a seine net. There are probably more then 20 folk who do it semi commercially in Cornwall (if not, more) and countless that do it to fill there own tanks...you see the odd schoolie and sea trout in them but they all get released, or should do anyway.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where i was fishing there is not much hope of sandeel as i fishing at the top of an estuary into a channel cut into the mud.

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
The man is right and if you want live or frozen eels for bait then this is something that you will all have to put up with. They don't magically appear! not that it does any harm, a few pulls on a seine net. There are probably more then 20 folk who do it semi commercially in Cornwall (if not, more) and countless that do it to fill there own tanks...you see the odd schoolie and sea trout in them but they all get released, or should do anyway.
Your right there rich,all seatrout and schoolies are released,i too would of said it was a sandeel seine,but dont know anthing bout netting for them in estuarys!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I think there were a couple of people caught netting under size bass and guilts in the fal last year and selling them to hotels, I've fished for them alot over the past 5 years in the estuarys and had have some good fish and lost some monsters to moorings as i only use light gear. It seems if there has been alot of rain they dont feed or thats what i've found. As you said if your fishing where i think you are there would'nt be eel there!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts