World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again, yes this question in sort of based around abbotsbury again but I love da place! Well im gettin a lot of new gear and just wondered how many rods you fish when you fish abbotsbury or chesil?? because

1) i presume close in the surf for bass? - pennel rig??
2) A 2/ 3 hook rig (rag,mack,squid,lug) for the smaller species e.g bream, plaice, pout, pollock etc.
3) what about another rod for long range e.g a 1 hook or mayb 2 hook for like a sandeel bait and maybe a crab bait?? for ray, doggies and smoothounds??

So if you fish 3 rods do you take 2 tripods?? sorry im confused unless you us elike 3hook flapper rigs with a sandeel bait crab and either mack or rag bait. please some info on this thanks matt

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Hi again, yes this question in sort of based around abbotsbury again but I love da place! Well im gettin a lot of new gear and just wondered how many rods you fish when you fish abbotsbury or chesil?? because

1) i presume close in the surf for bass? - pennel rig??
2) A 2/ 3 hook rig (rag,mack,squid,lug) for the smaller species e.g bream, plaice, pout, pollock etc.
3) what about another rod for long range e.g a 1 hook or mayb 2 hook for like a sandeel bait and maybe a crab bait?? for ray, doggies and smoothounds??

So if you fish 3 rods do you take 2 tripods?? sorry im confused unless you us elike 3hook flapper rigs with a sandeel bait crab and either mack or rag bait. please some info on this thanks matt
hello matt
i tend to try and keep it to a mimimun on chesil and stick with just the 6 rods
(1) big bait in the edge for bass
(2) big bait at distance for the conger and smutts
(3) scratching rod for the small stuff while i wait for the for the lunkers on the other
(4) a float set up for the garfish
(5)a plugging rod for bass and pollock
(6) a feathers rod for macky bashing
i have 3 tripods in a row

LOL , Not realy mate
2 rods will be enough for most anglers to deal with and if the fishing is that good you may find your self reeling in one of them and just useing one. Just make sure you have a few different methods of fishing with you in your tackel box and bait bucket.. for example a few different rigs , a selection of weights, some feathers, a few plugs or simaler,and some floats,
Bait wise .... some crabs, worms ,squid, mackeral shrimps
Just 1 tripod will do you fine,
The more rods you use the more bait you will use and the more money it will cost you!
tightlines
slayer

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
i don't fish chesil, but on occasion, i will break out a third rod, usually when smoothy fishing, i'll have two rods at range for the hounds, and often one close in for bass, on rare occasions i've even got the spinning rod out as i tend to leave big crab and macky baits for at least 1/2 hour,

sometimes on the pier (eastbourne) i'll have two rods out, and then whack on a dexter or feathers for a bit of a change of pace ! not often though

·
Registered
432 Posts
I use no less than 3 sometimes four but I fish easy marks, took some advice from two older anglers both have been fishing over forty years they both always fish 4 rods. I use two close in with baited mackie feathers baits of various sizes, and one or two out further with various rigs, if you leave the clutch off then you wont have any probs if you hit into a bigger fish. Personal preferance really.

·
Registered
341 Posts
bloody hell 4 rods!!!!!!!! might aswell just chuck the nets out instead.

to be honest i don't think you need more than two rods. just make sure u have a few ideas and know whats about and when somethings not working don't be afraid to try something new.

if you have two rods out and the fishin is good you will hardly have time to use two let alone three. and if you can easily fish three rods then chances are the sports not to great anyhow.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If I'm catching a couple I use a mackie flapper close in and leave it there so theres only two rods active then. I just dont enjoy casting out two rods and waiting for a bite, I'm sure if two guys in their late 60's can do it anybody can. Them guys catch a lot of fish as well, very nice blokes, hope I'm as active when I'm their age

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
The most I have used is 3 rods on orford, 1 for the codling with a pennel rig, 1 for sole with size 4 hooks and a 2 hook flapper for dabs and whiting. Very hard to use all three at once and I still caught nothing all night.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I use no less than 3 sometimes four but I fish easy marks, took some advice from two older anglers both have been fishing over forty years they both always fish 4 rods. I use two close in with baited mackie feathers baits of various sizes, and one or two out further with various rigs, if you leave the clutch off then you wont have any probs if you hit into a bigger fish. Personal preferance really.
You must have to do a weeks work to pay for a days fishing .you can not put youre full attention to any. why not do patting so you always got a bait in the water and use variety in youre baits and hook sizes

·
Registered
432 Posts
I enjoy what I do and I'm not the only guy fishing more than two rods, maybe you lads should pop down to wales and take some lessons from the old boys, guaranteed to show you a thing or two.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Depends what you are fishing for and how likely you are to be busy. For example, when fishing my local beaches purely for bass on the sandeel, then I will fish up to four rods no worries, becuase from those four rods I am expecting maybe two bites in a six hour session. But Chesil (hopefully!) at this spot on this date, you should be kept plenty busy with one rod. I'm gonna take two and appraise the situation, but I will fish the competition, which should mean just one rod while that is happening (I think, if I followed that particular good natured and friendly debate properly!) If you are full on focusing on catching as many fish as you can, you should find that a second rod will actually be a handicap, and stop you fishing either efficiently!

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
hi yep 3 rods for me also were ever i go ,saves time ,means having at least one rod fishing while baiting others or sorting problems ,can vary stratagies and if one rod is fishing a big bait you can still give the other 2 you full attention so you can fish with 3 propely cheers andy

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
You must have to do a weeks work to pay for a days fishing .you can not put youre full attention to any. why not do patting so you always got a bait in the water and use variety in youre baits and hook sizes

Thats the best advice Ellis could take, especially on his local beach which is steep and not really a long range casting venue for any species. Too much gear in the water will make things messy for you Ellis. You need to have someone take you mate. I told you if you get your parents to call i will take you for the day.

·
Registered
432 Posts
rockhopper1, I'm not having a go at anybody. I've seen young guns fish on the same pier with their very expensive and shiny gear cast out 200yds and catch nothing. The old boys have have had the same gear since before you were ever thought of, which you could probably buy in a boot sale for next to nothing, drop a couple of lines over the wall and cast no further than 30yds and catch fish all day. As far as a match is concerned if you want to come down, I'll just drop a line over the wall and take a chance, and have a bit of fun with my other three rods or maybe two and my prawn net.
You can buy all the fancy gear you like and you wont beat local knowledge and experience

1 - 15 of 15 Posts