World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to run my 1999 Yamaha 55HP 2stroke this morning ready to go out tomorrow but I couldn't get a spark at either plug? It hasn't run "in anger" since January, but I did run it in a 45 gallon drum about 6 weeks ago for about 20mins or more, & it started no problem. My first reaction was the kill switch clip, but that was in its proper position, & I checked all the connections from control box to engine (because the grandchildren play pirates in it), I also checked all the connections in the engine & all seem fine? I removed both plugs & both were soaking wet as expected, so I cleaned them & reset the gap & turned it over with the plugs out, no spark!
Has anybody got any suggestiions as to what might be causing this total loss of power? Once I check the blatantly obvious I am stumped, but I doubt it is BOTH "BLACK BOXES" could it be a fault or corrosion in the control box?:wallbash:

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Vic, if you get a spark on the engine with the controls unplugged , make sure your kill lanyard end isn't worn or the killswitch nut isn't loose. 703 control killswitches don't take much to stop a spark.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both of you, a little "lateral thinking" always helps, it seems obvious NOW isolate the control box & turn it over by hand:doh: I will try that later on, I have a suspicion it's something dull like the kill switch, but profanity ruled yesterday when it wouldn't fire, & logic went out of the window. I also damaged the newly refurbished prop by hitting it on the wall & taking a bit out of it, so not a REALLY good day! Will let you know what happens later on! :thumbs:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts