World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya all

I read the Sea Angler magazine last night and read about the NTZ idea that got stopped in Cornwall...today while i was in town a friend of mine was telling me that a similar plan was being discussed by the Swansea Bay and Gower councils.....can anyone find out if this is correct or not?

If it is correct then we really need to do the same as our Cornish brethern and fight it all the way.

regards
Rukai

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I doubt that this is the case Rukai, it would be impossible to police, the South Wales Sea Fisheries Committee are stretched to try to enforce existing legislation, & I stress TRY, they dont succeed in doing that.
There are small fishing vessels which have rights to fish right up to the HWM ordinary tides (those under 12metres I think) then you have the oyster/mussel dredgers who have similar rights, who would fight this tooth & nail!
SWWASAC come up with similar ideas every now & again, on fishing, licences, bait digging etc, but again that can only apply to their own members. Unless you get some form of local govt or national legislation or bye-law.
Again there is nobody available to enforce it, nor any money to enforce any legislation.
If it did get implemented I like you would fight it tooth & nail, anglers can choose to return undersized (or oversized) fish if they so wish, & can stop when they have enough for their own requirements.
Average anglers get out once every 2.5 weeks, & if they kept everything they ever caught, they would have no significant effect, on the sustainable yield of any target species (this does not include the "bass thrashers" who target the Worm EVERY day). Therefore there is no scientific evidence, or basis in fact, to impose a NTZ for anglers in Swansea Bay, or Gower.
There is however a host of scientific evidence against some methods of commercial fishing, especially against the use of the nylon monofilament gill net!
blueskip

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i agree there skip that gillnetting is just plain wrong whoever invented that one deserves to be given a good education in proper techniques and compassion.....still thanks for the reply on the NTZ...........i agree with you it makes no sense for such things to be implemented....still we'll see what happens

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thats it in a nut shell blueskip, there are however ideas being put forward that if a licence is agreed to for sea fishermen then the setting aside of areas for recreational sea anglers only to use be made available these could be self policing by the use of car wrecks tyres etc made into reefs which would effectivly stop trawling, the N.F.S.A. is fighting our corner as are BASS and it makes me fume when I see so much rhetoric on web sites about our rights etc but no one wants to join the organisations that are fighting for our rights, we have just dropped 120 personal members in the wessex division of the N.F.S.A. and I suspect that a lot of these anglers are the one that constantly complain about trawlers and commercials in general we have a voice lets use it and get behind the guys that are fighting for us , sorry to go off on one but it winds me up,.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Gus, I am, & always have been, an advocate for a Sea Fishing Licence, however I have always been given some very good arguments by the "anti's" who have always come up with the valid point "where will the money be spent". If its going to go on a "jobsworth" who goes around checking licences & nothing else, its no use!
It certainly must NOT be used to implement statutory legislation, thats the job of the Sea Fisheries Committees, The Commercial Fishing Industry, & Government!
If it can be used TRANSPARENTLY to improve the recreational angling in this country by, as you suggested, artificial reefs, enforced "no go" areas for commercial fishing then thats great.
Unfortunately angling organisations like Trade Unions, & Politics, seems to attract people who seem more interested in seeing their own name in the paper, than reading about something worthwhile they have negotiated.
Unfortunately most of the OBEs handed out to these people in the past have often stood for Other Buggers Efforts!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Quite agree blue, but my argument is that if one person shouts nobody listens, if two million shout everybody listens cause they cant hear anything else, but we must all shout the same things and to do that we need one body and everyone behind them you can surf the net to all the angling sites and see the same thing over and over again individuals moaning about everything and anything, "are they members of any organisation that is listened to and has an input into whats going on??? " the answer is no. The reason?? They can't be bloody bothered. if they were then they might have an idea of what is going on and what is being proposed. sorry gone off on another one it's bad for my health.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There is one organisation that is very vocal and fighting like hell for our corner, that is Sea Anglers Conservation Network (SACN), they are standing shoulder to shoulder with BASS and the NFSA and are currently involved with talks at high level with Government. These three are recognised by Government as 'OUR' spokesmen. The beauty of SACN is it's free to join.. The benefit to them of having more members is that the numbers count for clout. The benefit to us is we get spoken for. Have a look at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/sacn/membership.htm for free membership or
http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/index.php to see what they do.
Not a plug for Anglers net but for the SACN. You've got to be in it to win it.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the Links Ray have joined them now....

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the information. Likewise I have also joined, I am a member of N.F.S.A.

Cheers

·
Registered
311 Posts
gusangus said:
Quite agree blue, but my argument is that if one person shouts nobody listens, if two million shout everybody listens cause they cant hear anything else, but we must all shout the same things and to do that we need one body and everyone behind them you can surf the net to all the angling sites and see the same thing over and over again individuals moaning about everything and anything, "are they members of any organisation that is listened to and has an input into whats going on??? " the answer is no. The reason?? They can't be bloody bothered. if they were then they might have an idea of what is going on and what is being proposed. sorry gone off on another one it's bad for my health.
have goto reply to you i was at the maff meetings supporting the N.F.S.A. back in the cod war every proposal was either shot down or lost in paper work and many of us were so gutted that we left the nfsa because it didnt have any teeth and not because we cant be bloody bothered if the nfsa show they have got some clout now i will be first in line to support them and first to put my hand in my pocket to help. and im not going off on one gus

·
Registered
303 Posts
Things have moved on since the cod war harpo, the N.F.S.A., S.A.C.N. and B.A.S.S.are listened to, and one of the reasons is economic, recreational sea anglers put more into the national budget than the commercial fishermen by nearly twice as much and employs directly and indirectly three times as many people (government figures not mine) the other of course is dwindling fish stocks these organisations have a much bigger say in whats going on than most people realise, we have the potential clout to get a lot of things but the apathy among anglers is stifling the efforts of the ones that are fighting, If these three organisations went to a meeting with 2 million signed up members between them that is more clout than the commercials could ever muster.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi gus

call me sinicle ,but if these three parties want to show a united front in changing the way our fisheries are managed would it not make more sense to be one party instead of three ,thus cutting down on admin costs and the like . also making it much more simple for the likes of myself to keep abreast of what the bloody hell is actualy happening.

also do you not think if these three groups ammalgamated you would find it easier to recruit new members other than people looking into being pro-active in the saviour of our fishstocks and finding a complete minefield of duplicated pollitics and giving up (sorry didnt mean to go off on one)

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Well said Fudd, if we cant put up a SINGLE united front we are showing weakness from the start, do we see how much each one is charging for annual subs & go for that, regardless of policies?
There could be a Bass Section ( or a Ray Section) within an NFSA (or whatever), & we could all sing from the same hymn sheet. The old saying of "divide & rule" seems to work, because we have seen no MEANINGFUL movement in favour of angling that I can remember & thats 64 years! We have had some minimum sizes raised, but again most of them are a joke, & it still doesn,t stop the undersized being shovelled back in dead!
blueskip

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi mate, yes this is probably true, and in the end this would no doubt benifit all members, the one good thing as it stands at the moment is that at least they are united & singing from the same hymn sheet, They are having a say in what happens and are acheiving things that we would.nt have acheived before, may be when all this debate is over and some sensible measures to protect our fish stocks and our sport are in place that would be the time to form one super club I think it would be dangerous to reorganise in the middle of a campaign as things get lost and there would be petty squables about who does what. each group keeps it's members informd on whats going on through different media and as you say they are duplicated to a great extent maybe this is the first step in amalgamating I will e.mail N.F.S.A this morning and put your idea forward and see what happens thanks for your input mate hope to see you out fishing one day,

·
Registered
303 Posts
well here we are on the 11th and still no reply from the NFSA have been in touch with my local P.M.'s rep only to get a tale of woe about lack of funds so will fire off another soon,

·
Registered
311 Posts
gus if you still havent had a reply from nfsa dont be to upset its their usual way.it all falls on deaf ears nothing has changed from years ago they wont rock the boat to much like i said no teeth

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rukai contacted me a little while ago regarding NTZ's.
SWSFC are not aware of any rumours spreading regarding this.
As regards Byelaws and legislation these take place through SFC's DEFRA and Parliament.
I am fortunate enough to sit as a RSA Representative on the 'strategy unit for Wales' i repeat the line 'For Wales'.
Stakeholders i liase with respond with information etc that needs to be dealt with relating to Wales. We do not decide what happens outside of Wales and therefore we do not expect any political intervention from other groups outside of Wales. what the UK would like to see as a unified statement for RSA's does not reflect the Welsh Opinion. We have a Coastline that is the pride of Wales from the Coast of the Newport reaches Gwent trhough to North Wales.
We have a Major problem with exploitation of bait beds due to overdigging, this can be addressed by the use of buses travelling to Wales from other regions packed with bait diggers and blitzing the beaches and estuaries of their natural resources to boost Tackle shops elsewhere. We now have an agreemnet with local Council where Officials can check diggers to see if they are licensed and if not then what gains are perceived by the large numbers of worm being dug. SWSFC are also involved where a byelaw can be implemented to cover this.
This can also be brought in through the Strategy Group as most diggers (unlicensed) could fall into the same category as the Black Fish sales which at this moment Welsh Fishing Industry has a say to implement a possible Bag limit or Carcuss Tagging to eliminate such illegal acts.
We are fighting for our Region and our Region alone, if we can help others we will if asked. We consist of Members from WFSA ,SWWASAC EFSA (Welsh Region) & Members not affiliated to any Bodies or Associations. We cover all species that are native to our waters and those that are endangered, We promote fair angling by rod & line and also catch & release.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts