World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
enjoy (think there might be some comments on this one)

So this fish is sold as "Non Organic Wild Sea Bass " (sorta contardicts itself) - caught on rod and line (being nonorganic but wild sea bass I can only imagine hes fishing in the bass farm)

very odd indeed

Anyways how long is a 700g fish about ?? (under 36ish cm?)

http://www.somersetorganics.co.uk/acatalog/Fresh_Fish.html

G

·
I have emailed him asking the average size in length of the Bass. It would be interesting how he will get out of that if they are under 36cm!

·
Registered
493 Posts
For a fish to be organic, you need to know what it's been eating.

Therefore a wild fish is non organic because you don't know its history.

i.e. wild fish could be full of pollutants depending on where it's been living. A farmed fish has only eaten what you've fed it and been reared in controlled conditions.

Sounds stupid, I know.

http://www.oceanicinstitute.org/nav.php?loc=News_and_Events&contentID=197

·
Registered
276 Posts
Maybe the wild refers to the fishes state of mind when dragged out of the water......... I suppose slightly miffed would be an understatement!!!:unsure::unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Maybe the wild refers to the fishes state of mind when dragged out of the water......... I suppose slightly miffed would be an understatement!!!:unsure::unsure::unsure:
to paraphrase a famous comedy sketch.

I was bloody furious...

sorry, couldn't resist!

G

·
Have emailed too.

I actually know the boats that catch these Bass and would hazard a guess the sizes are either for portions (fillets / steaks) or for gutted whole fish that are just sizeable.

Bit of a joke though at £9.50!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I understood that you need a special license to sell somthing as organic!! You cant just call it "organic" apparenty getting a ticket saying your produce is organic is a long process.
So people that want to let consumers know that somthing is "organic" have to play with words.

well I think so anyway lol

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Anyways how long is a 700g fish about ?? (under 36ish cm?)
700gm is just over one an a half pounds which would probably mean the fish are just over the 36cm minimum legal limit for wild bass. As stated in a previous post according to regulations controlling the sale of organic food wild caught fish cannot be classed as organic in origin - basically because no-one knows where it's been or what it's been eating. Consequently as this is a company that deals primarily in supplying organic produce they are simply flagging these fish up to the customer as being "Non Organic". If they didn't do this they could be charged with misleading their customers as many would naturally assume the fish were organic along with the rest of the produce on sale - the company's name is Somerset Organics after all.

Why not just call it wild line caught Bass?
In this case for the reason as stated above Tom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts