World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mate big Tam and I went for a wee flattie bash today. Firstly dug about sixty lug each to supliment the few crabs from the bait fridge. Arrived at chosen mark near Carsethorn. Sea looked quite good, with a fresh South Westerly blowing on our backs. Illusions of a good day soon shattered when we found the amount of weed collected on the traces. Fine slimy stuff, easily removed but masking the hooks. After a while the weed disappeared and the bait robbing shrimps were not long stripping the hooks. Will be very glad when I see the Annan shrimp trawlers out in front of me doing a bit of crustacean removal. At high water the weed returned, so all in all a poor session, with Tam catching one small flounder, and myself with an eel of about a pound in weight.
Noticed a couple along the shore from us today, and could see at least one tripod, so for a wee change, the five mile stretch was crowded with at least three anglers wasting their time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It was the same the last time I fished the area. Three very small flounders to save the day .Bait robbers also present.

·
Registered
469 Posts
the eel saves the blank again.

should be down there later in the week but think I will try fishing further afield since the weed is still there.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the eel saves the blank again.

should be down there later in the week but think I will try fishing further afield since the weed is still there.
Might be better on the smaller tides as most of it will be deposited on the beach. Carsethorn itself has again masses of weed in front of the village. Bait robbers are a pain, need an awful lot of bait each sesion. Not sure if the shrimpers are tied up due to restrictions or perhaps the cost of shrimps is so low at present that it is not worth targeting them. Will be glad to see them sweep up the channel again though, as it will save a lot of digging.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having mentioned bait digging, Tescos in Dumfries are selling stainless steel garden forks at £3 each. Great bargain. Mate and I got one apiece yesterday as spares.

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
688 Posts
Are they quite flat spikes? I keep chopping worms in half...

:oops:

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are they quite flat spikes? I keep chopping worms in half...

:oops:
No mate, the tines are square. Here is a photo of the £3 Tesco one beside my long handled flat tined one. I would say the square ones are better in stoney ground when digging rag, although they are o.k. in sand for lug. All depends upon the type of ground you are digging I suppose, and I can burst worms with any type of fork lol. My long handled one is going to break some time, and the cheap one makes a good back up. Don't fancy a 50 mile round trip for bait when a fork breaks after a couple of digs, without having a back in the car boot.
DSCF0260.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts