World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my RYA Powerboat course a few years ago when I used to do a lot of diving as this was a pre-requisite for taking out the clubs RIB.
Having recently got into fishing I am now yearning for my own boat.
I was thinking of buying an inflatable as I have nowhere to store a boat (I live in a flat with no driveway) and an electric trolling motor, just for pottering around langstone harbour.
However, I have just noticed that mud berths in Langstone harbour are quite affordable, even on my strict budget. So I'm now thinking I might be able to stretch to a little fishing boat with a small cabin and leave it mud berthed.
This will mean saving up for another year, even for something cheap.
My question is, how cheaply can I get something that I can use in the harbour and for the odd trip to the IOW, weather permitting?
I need something cheap that will happily mud berth and be economical on fuel.
Should I be looking for an inboard as an outboard could be nicked?
What other considerations do I need to think about.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I suppose the first questions have to be how fast do you want to go if you're wanting to go to the IOW, and how cheap is cheap?

Inboard won't be cheap to run unless diesel, and then that'll be expensive to buy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose the first questions have to be how fast do you want to go if you're wanting to go to the IOW, and how cheap is cheap?

Inboard won't be cheap to run unless diesel, and then that'll be expensive to buy.
I wouldn't mind if it took a couple of hours to be honest. But with the currents around the solent I guess I'd want 15 knots.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Ok, so how much do you want to spend on fuel? Work on 4 litres per hour per 10hp for fuel.

If you want 15 knots and a cabin you'll be planing, so I'd expect you to be looking at a15/16' with a 40hp outboard (smaller engines will mean thrashing the nuts off it and using more fuel).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so how much do you want to spend on fuel? Work on 4 litres per hour per 10hp for fuel.

If you want 15 knots and a cabin you'll be planing, so I'd expect you to be looking at a15/16' with a 40hp outboard (smaller engines will mean thrashing the nuts off it and using more fuel).
Okay, this is good stuff. I've got a starting point, which is a lot more than I did have :clap:

I would guess that I would be using it in Langstone, or very close, most of the time and would only venture further afield (IOW) maybe 2 or 3 times a year max.

My maths could be way out but from memory....
Lets say I will want to go a max of 20 miles out from moorings to off the IOW. Doing 15 knots against an average of a 5 knot current (probable worst case), we are talking about a 2 hour trip out and a two hour trip back. Lets say 5 hours total running time. So using your formula 16 litres per hour for 5 hours would be 80 litres. I could stretch to this a few times a year, but not very often.
I guess it wouldn't be worth going for something slower because of the currents around the solent.

Is there anything I should be aware of with a mud berth when selecting a boat?

Something like this might be affordable next year: http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/PAA10233

1 - 5 of 5 Posts