World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd post a couple of fishing reports. The first was last weekend after a roasting hot day I thought there would be a bevvy of fish ready to be hooked leading up to an 11:30pm ish high tide at Caister on Sea. I fished in between two groynes to he north of the second avenue car park from about 7:30pm. Nada. I may have had one bite but as there was weed on the line it could as easily have been the lead pulling free in the current. I tried close in, far out (where I got plastered with weed and plastic) and in the end even resorted to one rod with smaller hooks and lug to try and pick up some tings. This was my first taste of summer fishing in the area having recently moved here after almost 30 years living in Scotland and not a good start.

Undeterred I headed to North beach yesterday (Saturday) afternoon, opposite the Furzedown Hotel to fish the last hour of the ebb and first two hours of the flood with one rod loaded with a little joey mackeral on a pennel rig and the other some left over frozen black lug from last winter, tipped with squid on a 2 hook flapper. The current flowing south to north which hit about 40 yards out meant fishing close in, but the water seems to have a good depth there and I had read on here that close in was the way to go here. Immediately after low the tings hit the lug one after the other, some were keepers but all were lip hooked so went back. The mackeral bait, which was on in the hope of a smoothhound or bass was nibbled away at but untouched by anything large enough to take it fully. I have only fished North beach a few times last winter in the dark and have walked it with the dog a few times during the daytime. Every time there has been a fierce south to north current running, however, about 1 1/2 hours after the low it stopped and if anything seemed to slowly flow the other way ...is this normal? Keen to take advantage I rebaited and whacked both rods out as far as I could for the last 20 minutes to see what was about and was rewarded with a very nice whiting about 16" (40cm?) on the lug squid cocktail, which again was lip hooked so went back.

Being a newbie to the area and someone who has only ever really fished for winter and rock cod, coalies and saithe off the wild rocks of Fife and Angus in the past. A couple of questions came to mind...

1. With bass being predominantly sight feeders, and seeing the amount of colour in the water at North beach and Caister, I am surprised there are any there at all as I wouldn't have thought it a natural or easy hunting ground for them..?

2. Was I right to use a joey mackeral for smoothhound and bass?

3. My aim this summer is to catch at least one bass from the shore. I'm not fussed it it is a schoolie or something bigger. Would anyone recommend anywhere different? Thinking of trying some new ground at Gorleston harbour or further down towards Hopton later this week.

Cheers and tight lines,

Bob

·
Registered
70 Posts
1. Try further around the coast in either direction - from Southwold to Felixstowe or from Mundesley to Cley for Bass. For some reason there aren’t so many from Caister to Corton. In fact, around Great Yarmouth you’ll be lucky to catch any more then Dabs or Tings from the shore at any time or year, with the odd exception of course.

2. Peeler Crab is the bait to use around here, it catches everything, especially Bass. I usually take lug, peeler and squid to tip.

3. I have caught Bass in my last two trips. Check out my reports. Get down to Dunwich and turn right under the cliffs. They are a bit hit or miss and more seem to be coming up during daylight. Dunwich is an ebb beach, so fish it from high to low in the daylight for Bass at present. You only need to be 10 yards beyond the breaker. There is a gulley straight in front of you and sand bar further out (again, check my reports)

Tight lines!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice JH it's much appreciated, I think I'll give Dunwich a go Friday afternoon. I've never used peeler before - is the blast frozen stuff any good?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the advice JH it's much appreciated, I think I'll give Dunwich a go Friday afternoon. I've never used peeler before - is the blast frozen stuff any good?
Live is always better if you can get it, but frozen isn’t so bad! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Tramp alley Corton all the the way along the coast to Pakefield can produce decent bass 2 up 2 being best part of the tide , if you want a bigger fish then fish a baby squid bait one rod close in the other at the end of the groin any further then the tide run and weed is a problem preferably in darkness and be prepared for a blank or two but when a female bar of silver hits you will be rewarded , the tide and wind direction is vital and don't be put off by white water the big females are starting to show but its a waiting game.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Is it free parking at the Dunwich heath and beach national trust car park at Minsmere? Thought I might ark there and hike south a bit...

·
Registered
70 Posts
You pay at both. Dunwich Beach is open all day but the other one closes at 4pm and it’s a looong walk - you also have to book tickets in advance

·
Registered
677 Posts
There have been plenty of rays and smooth hounds off the North beach in the last month although it has got harder recently. Best baits are crab for the hounds and squid (which will take both species and anything else that swims if you suit bait size to species).
The rays can also be caught on fresh mackerel or herring but you will be very lucky to catch bass on it! IMO.
On some parts of the beach as it comes round the point, the water seems to eddy round closer in, on the flood tide and appears to flow the wrong way but normally if you whack a bait out you will still find it is flowing the correct way at distance where as a closer in rod is pulled in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Hi Bob, welcome to the land of six toes, unless of course you're in Suffolk and then it's seven. :alien:

The lateral tidal flow around our coast, is from left to right on the flood tide and from right to left on the ebb.

Re your questions....

1) Caister is a very good Bass beach but not so good if the water is heavily coloured. From there northwards, every beach all the way to Hunstanton produces Bass. The only problem being, May is by far and away the best month for them on all of the Norfolk beaches, so you now have 11 months to wait, sorry. However, do not despair, as they've not all carried on northwards upon their annual migration and most of the shallower sandy beaches still hold Bass, particularly if there's a surf running. Try Scratby, Cart Gap, Walcott, Mundesley, Overstrand.

Yarmouth North beach does produce Bass, just not that many of them. Yarmouth South beach can however be very good for them at times, particularly in May.

2) Yes, for Bass. No, for Smoothound, as its rare they get caught on fish baits.

3) Both Gorleston and Hopton are good for Bass. Trouble is, they both get crowded with sun seekers.

Lowestoft South beach, around the area of the wooden Claremont Pier, was alive with schoolies 2 weeks back. Fish the incoming tide in the evening this week as the sun goes down, 2 hook flapper, size 1 hooks with ragworm. If you don't catch a Bass, I owe you a pint. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have been doing very well this summer at Winterton for bass. Last session i had 7 size bass over legal limit. (all of which went back) and probably double that amount in schoolies. I have yet to see anyone else fish at the mark i fish other than them group i go with.

As for smooth hound. all the ones I've caught this year have come on Squid. All from North beach not far from where you are fishing. all at decent length but not crazy distance.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
A good resource for your coast is to watch "from the waters edge" on YouTube. They just did a video last week, which I think was somewhere up Mundsley, Overstrand way where they had quite a few schoolies.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A good resource for your coast is to watch "from the waters edge" on YouTube. They just did a video last week, which I think was somewhere up Mundsley, Overstrand way where they had quite a few schoolies.
I think they fished Bacton and Trimmingham

·
Registered
94 Posts
Fished yarmouth north beach and south for years and in 2002 to about 2008 me my uncle and good friend micky would catch some cracking cod and codling.even if it was a strong east wind we would catch codling in the harbour as a last resort.our rule was to fish last two off the ebb and one over.we woukd fish up by the irion duke the point.then pack up get some food then fish the last 3 up and over on the south beach if you didnt get codling or cod on the ebb you were not going to get them on the flood.the harbour in recent years has made a very big difference.bait wise we have used everything but lugworm is the killer the golden time is when that water goes dead still.best conditions for the ebb is a strong north west wind against the tide as it holds the weed back.dont rule out the centre niether ie marina centre as that can be just as good.if you get the depth app you will see yarmouth north beach is the deepest water around close in.if you can hold bottom the point up by the irion duke is the spot
IMG_20181028_181610_639.jpg
IMG_20181028_181610_639.jpg

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
i have been doing very well this summer at Winterton for bass. Last session i had 7 size bass over legal limit. (all of which went back) and probably double that amount in schoolies. I have yet to see anyone else fish at the mark i fish other than them group i go with.

As for smooth hound. all the ones I've caught this year have come on Squid. All from North beach not far from where you are fishing. all at decent length but not crazy distance.

Hi 5harky, how have the Seals been when you've fished Winterton this year? I love that beach and fully agree with you re it being a superb Bass beach, but when I walked it just after lockdown was lifted, there were dozens of them and I simply didn't fancy competing with that lot!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi 5harky, how have the Seals been when you've fished Winterton this year? I love that beach and fully agree with you re it being a superb Bass beach, but when I walked it just after lockdown was lifted, there were dozens of them and I simply didn't fancy competing with that lot!
No bother at all. seen plenty but none that have gotten in the way. I always fish the gully from the sand bar always produces good fish.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi 5harky, Thanks for the information. I'm just discovering all the venues around at the moment. Looking at Winterton on Google it seems that there are a couple of potential fishy features that are quite interesting compared to some of the more featureless beaches around (pic). Not sure about access to the bottom two circled in the picture though...I don't mind a bit of a hike (but would rather not ;)) can you get parked anywhere near them?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts