World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rigs used: 2 hook loop rig with size 1 hooks

Bait: squid and some rashes of bacon I had left over in the fridge.

No weed thank goodness

first cast we had Whitings & Dabs every Chuck on squid, started to run low on bait so I used the little bit of squid left over and some bacon to make a cocktail bait. Wasn’t long before the rod slammed down, initially I thought I was snagged but it managed to free himself then all of a sudden I had some massive pulls on the rod, it was a fight to get in but managed to land a large Thornback ray. Didn’t have my scales but was in the 9lb to 10lb range which was a PB for me, only ever caught two.

overall a good session and nice to see the rays are still around

Attachments

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I'd say overall a VERY good session. Streaky or back? :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rigs used: 2 hook loop rig with size 1 hooks

Bait: squid and some rashes of bacon I had left over in the fridge.

No weed thank goodness

first cast we had Whitings & Dabs every Chuck on squid, started to run low on bait so I used the little bit of squid left over and some bacon to make a cocktail bait. Wasn’t long before the rod slammed down, initially I thought I was snagged but it managed to free himself then all of a sudden I had some massive pulls on the rod, it was a fight to get in but managed to land a large Thornback ray. Didn’t have my scales but was in the 9lb to 10lb range which was a PB for me, only ever caught two.

overall a good session and nice to see the rays are still around

Great session, Everyone runs to the butchers for smaked bacon !!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It worked I had whiting & dab up until the bacon then whallop I got a big take. Just goes to show you can catch them on run of the mill store bought baits. If they are hungry they’ll feed Lol

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Rays are very hungry right now as there is so much competition for food. Many rays are taking baits deep which is normally rare. There are lots of dogs and whiting around but the rays are most certainly still there. If the whiting suddenly stop feeding it could be that rays are moving through. It's happening many times for me and my mate. Both catching whiting then one carries on while the other suddenly doesn't get any then lo and behold the rays appear. As soon as the rays move on the whiting come back.
I think your 9 to 10lb estimate is very hopeful but it's certainly a good ray for the autumn run. The rays we've had recently have been a good size but not heavy. They are not in the condition that spring fish are.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Lovely fish boi, well done.

Said it before and will say it again, Thornbacks will eat just about anything when they're in a feeding mood. :thumbsup:

Next on the list is a cod or sole. Not hopeful on the cod but you never know. Need to learn about sole fishing. Not sure what rigs, baits to use, I know they have small mouths and you have a better chance of catching them at night lol :/

·
Registered
3,716 Posts

Next on the list is a cod or sole. Not hopeful on the cod but you never know. Need to learn about sole fishing. Not sure what rigs, baits to use, I know they have small mouths and you have a better chance of catching them at night lol :/
Getting a bit late in the year for Sole around here, however there will definitely be a few still around. Try fishing Lowestoft North beach with a two or 3 hook flapper loaded with a strong size 1 hook (Kamasan B940 are ideal) and bait them with lug, rag too if you have some, then fish the rig on a flood tide. Day or night shouldn't make much difference at this time of year and with coloured water. You will stand a reasonable chance of not only catching a Sole but also one of the Codling that are showing in that area.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts