World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished my favorite north coast cove for a few hours yesterday, had one 3lb bass, one schoolie and one small but very greedy turbot. Pretty good considering there was hardly any surf and it was really bright. Anyone had much ray? I quite fancy a bit of ray fishing this weekend. I fished Gorrangorras creek on the Fal after gilthead a couple of weeks ago and only caught a couple of micro bass. One was so small it still had it's juvenille spots.

·
Registered
633 Posts
We fished the Fal three weeks ago for Thornbacks. Loads of doggies but no Ray. Might try Mother Ivey's area this weekend for Small eyeds. Does anyone know if any Bream have showed in the Fal yet? Cheers.

:) KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD :)

G

·
don't know about the fal, but carnsew is spitting them out, my mate had a gilthead 08.08.08lb new Club and County Record. took the Grenville open with it.
wish I knew how to catch them, sigh !

·
Registered
633 Posts
Tim, thats a stonking Gilthead. He deserves a pat on the back for that one! Have you got any tips for fishing Carnsew?

:) KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
managed to snag these bad boys yesterday, pretty chuffed, not quite 8lbers though, I kept two and put the one back (He's only posing in the picture). Really good fun, had loads of school bass as well, they were getting a bit annoying there was so many, you can't really grumble though!

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Had a look at the map - Where in the Fal is Gorrangorras creek, I can't see it? I take it that the threesome came from elsewhere?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, those three didn't come from there but it's up near Penryn on the west side of the estuary, supposed to be a good spot but I've only fished it the once. It's marked on the O/S map of the Fal, its only a small creek, if I was you I'd fish the north bank, think I made a mistake by fishing the south bank last time, I saw it at low tide afterwards and the north side definately looked better. tell us if you snag any.

G

·
never fished the 'pool' myself (not a mullet person, rather knock the fish out with 6oz's of lead!)
i'll pick my mate when i catch up with him, see if i can get some info on it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I heard the pool was netted out last week by a group of commercial fishemren because some idiot blabbed the fact that someone caught an 8lb bream in there on the internet -anybody any clues who this might be?

Get a life and go fishing rather than writing about other peoples fish and ruining their fishing :mad: .

G

·
that 8lb Bream was common knowledge as it was the winning fish in the grenville open, doesn't take a genius too work out where it came from (just as well).get a life.
seeing that they have been catching bream over 5lb for weeks out of there, it was only a matter of time before it was netted.
also, Read the West Briton.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You clearly aint got a clue mate. There are fish that big in the south coast estuaries in Cornwall as proven by the Cornish boat record being beaten two weeks ago. The pool was just convenient for the locals until people like u publicise it to the masses.

- ps. They are also in the helford that size but no doubt your long casting from the GEW is reaching the other bank and putting your bait on the grass. Only plausible explanation for not catching.

G

·
Maybe they are catching off the boats, but from my experience, and info from my friends/club members, the fishing has not been good from the shore lately in the estuary's, for decent fish that is.
as for publicising fish being caught, west Briton does a good job, besides, this forum is supposed to be informative,not just for idle banter.
anglers like to know whats being caught and where, as for casting, thats plain childish. you don't catch fish everytime you go.

·
Registered
210 Posts
To be fair, the 8lber was common knowledge, and im sure that it being posted on hear didnt lead to the pool being netted. The fact that large bream are in the pool has been known for years, the commercial netters would of known this without looking on here!

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
shouldn't we be complaining about the commercial netting and not who told who, when and where. these greedy b......s will always do this wether its discussed on here or not. the local paper and local boasting/gossip will be far more informative for these people than we are on here.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I broadly agree with all of the above although I doubt that many of you actually fish the pool with any regularlity. In many cases, anglers also have alot to answer for in destroying fish stocks. Wrasse fishing on many popular North and south cornish rock marks is a classic example. Hardly any of these have worthwhile wrasse on them because johnny "sport fishermen" kill the wrasse they catch for the cat, their neighbour, their local club.

In addition, Cornwall is unhealthily blessed with a significant number of tackle shop information scroungers who trade information to benefit their own fishing mainly for schoolie bass. These low life scum are the parasites of those who are prepared to put in the time, effort and thought into understanding the ecology and behaviour of fish and who catch specimens with regularity. Very often these scum bags have no intention of seeking hard to catch species themselves. Where gilts are concerned, like wrasse, even taking out a small number of large females can do a huge amount of damage to a small resident non-migrating population. Knowledgeable local anglers have largely conserved the stock. However, thanks to the parasites we now have anglers from Plymouth and even Looe (you can tell them by the way they walk) coming down followed by commercials -Well Done.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I too have seen the invasion of hoardes of clueless Looe and Plymouth anglers - awful bunch, covered in tattoos of swallows. Mind you, I did hear rumours of their strange walk and was wondering if it had anything to do with the large gilts they have been winching in? May even be due to the long walks to their secretive gilthead marks, before filling Mike Millman's gullible head with lies bout how many giltheads have been caught in the pool. Good job nobody is stupid enough to head on down to the pool, in the false belief that their fish have been caught there. Or have they?!!! Try 60 miles further to the east for a lot of these fish, i.e. the River Yealm.

While we're on the subject, you'd think catching a gilt of 8-8-1 would force even a Camborne angler to break into a smile?!! Oh, actually, I forgot about the rule banning you from smiling at any time........

Keep on chasing, lads......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts