World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a trip up north and I am mainly after a Coalfish for my species list this year, can anyone tell how far up the East coast I have to travel before I stand a chance of getting some?
I know the pier at Whitby is fishable but are there any others that I can try? whilst I am up that way I will probably have a boat trip as well if I can find a boat that takes individuals.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say you will get coalfish off any of the piers in the North East. They're usually hard to avoid.
Thanks thats good news, anything else unusual that I am likely to find up there that I can't get in the Thames?

·
Registered
348 Posts
You don't say where you intend staying but if it is Whitby, there is another pier at Saltburn about 20 miles further north and plenty of good shore fishing between. If we start at Whitby you have the piers, harbour and the beach all the way to Sandsend. It is possible to fish the cliffs at Sandsend over high water. Next is Runswick bay, you can fish off the rock armour sea defence at high water onto sand and at low there are rocks and gulleys on either side of the bay. Port mulgrave offers an old concrete jetty to fish off at high water or rock fishing at low. Cowbar jetty is situated on the north side of the beck at Staithes, fishing space is limited due to the rock armour along its length. Not a place to be if there is any swell on the sea unless you have local knowledge. Skinningrove jetty is another place that can be a little dangerous to fish at the end due to large holes big enough to more than swallow a man completely. Finally we arrive at Saltburn with its Victorian pier fishable over high water. The places I have listed are the easy accessible spots along the coast here, there are numerous good marks to fish south of Whitby but these are all rock marks.
If you are on a species hunt you could expect any of the following from the shore:- Cod, Whiting, Coalfish, Pollock, Mackerel, Bass, Pouting, 3 bearded rockling, Sea scorpion, Vi-viporous blenny, shanny, Launce, Dragonet, weaver, Ballan wrasse, eel, Flounder, Dab, Plaice and Turbot. I could include Horse mackerel and red gurnard but Iv'e not seen either of these for a number of years now.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't say where you intend staying but if it is Whitby, there is another pier at Saltburn about 20 miles further north and plenty of good shore fishing between. If we start at Whitby you have the piers, harbour and the beach all the way to Sandsend. It is possible to fish the cliffs at Sandsend over high water. Next is Runswick bay, you can fish off the rock armour sea defence at high water onto sand and at low there are rocks and gulleys on either side of the bay. Port mulgrave offers an old concrete jetty to fish off at high water or rock fishing at low. Cowbar jetty is situated on the north side of the beck at Staithes, fishing space is limited due to the rock armour along its length. Not a place to be if there is any swell on the sea unless you have local knowledge. Skinningrove jetty is another place that can be a little dangerous to fish at the end due to large holes big enough to more than swallow a man completely. Finally we arrive at Saltburn with its Victorian pier fishable over high water. The places I have listed are the easy accessible spots along the coast here, there are numerous good marks to fish south of Whitby but these are all rock marks.
If you are on a species hunt you could expect any of the following from the shore:- Cod, Whiting, Coalfish, Pollock, Mackerel, Bass, Pouting, 3 bearded rockling, Sea scorpion, Vi-viporous blenny, shanny, Launce, Dragonet, weaver, Ballan wrasse, eel, Flounder, Dab, Plaice and Turbot. I could include Horse mackerel and red gurnard but Iv'e not seen either of these for a number of years now.
Brilliant I have printed this off and will google all those places mentioned and add them to the pratnav
As I am on a species hunt I only need 1 of each species thats big enough to Identify and take a photo of and the one on that list that I have never seen is the viporous blenny so I will have to check everything I get.
Mind you I had a Yarrels Blenny from Dover many years ago and I believe that they are more of a northern fish.

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Brilliant I have printed this off and will google all those places mentioned and add them to the pratnav
As I am on a species hunt I only need 1 of each species thats big enough to Identify and take a photo of and the one on that list that I have never seen is the viporous blenny so I will have to check everything I get.
Mind you I had a Yarrels Blenny from Dover many years ago and I believe that they are more of a northern fish.
Viviparous Blenny is better known as the Eelpout. Stacks of them in the Wear and Tyne estuaries and I'd be surprised if they weren't caught dropping down the side (possibly better on the inside) of either of the Whitby piers

·
Registered
230 Posts
if your after the bigger coalfish get frozen crab on off very north east tip of dunstanbough castle canny walk but ... cast 30 meters if they are around its one after another really big fish here at times over the summer months .... or spin deep mid june time ....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts