World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Conditions looked promising on the weather/surf forecasts so headed down to Norfolk for a few days fishing.
Arrived late on Friday night, missed the best part of the tide so went eel fishing instead, resulting in a good number of eels to 2lb. Changed venues and had a couple of roach and a trout, then decided to concentrate properly on the sea fishing.

First session was Saturday night, we avoided the pier in the daytime due to powerboat racing, crowds, etc, and waited for things to quieten down. Started fishing about 10pm, set up a couple of rods with small hooks in the hope of catching some livebait, things were a bit quiet but I managed one pout and a whiting, then 2 bass of around 2lb each. As it started to get light around 4.30, set up a rod with daylight lures and took 4 more school bass and a few mackerel.

Next session Sunday afternoon, pier looked busy so 3 of us headed for Weybourne. Apparently nothing much had been caught, but we were into mackerel fairly quickly, and took enough for the evening session's bait, perhaps 20 -25 fish. Also caught a few launce.

For the night/early morning session, decided to try the pier again. Action was very slow at first, I had a big flounder but nothing else until it got light. Set up the feathers again and suddenly the fishing seemed to switch on. Everyone had loads of mackerel, and I managed 7 bass to 3lb 12oz, again on daylight lures.

Next session was Monday afternoon. I fished 3 or 4 hours either side of high water. Conditions looked very promising, with a calm clear sea. My first cast produced a couple of mackerel, then it went quiet for an hour or so. A few other anglers turned up and started getting a few mackerel, I then set up a couple of livebait rods to target the bass. For a long while it looked like the bass wouldn't show, until after high water when I missed 2 good takes in succession. Then had another bite and managed to land a nice bass of 6lb. Got a fresh bait straight back in, and within 5 minutes the rod pulled over resulting in a 9lb bass, which was weighed and then returned. The next cast produced a third bass, this one going 7lb 4oz.
Things quietened down after this except for a few more mackerel and another school bass.

Had a quick session this morning, managed 10 mackerel on the lures, no big bass but I did miss a couple of takes.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Amazing Graeme, when do you start doing lessons on how to fish cromer pier?

I couldnt catch a cold on there mate.

Matt

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Ya I am with you Splatt for lessons, as I dont normally do much good when I have fished the pier. I must admit the crowds put me off trying most of the time.
Well done on another good catch.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers, I think its mainly a matter of hitting the right conditions, unfortunately doing this and avoiding the crowds at the same time seems increasingly difficult.
Even the beach at Weybourne was packed.

·
Registered
306 Posts
hi graeme.

Make that one more booking for the pier fishing lessons. :)

As always you are catching fish and your reports are interesting to follow.

well done.
I look forward to another installment.

simon.
:fish:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[QUOTE="My God Cod";1288360]Nice one Graeme
May bump into you over the coming fortnite.[/QUOTE]

Hi Paul, will probably be in the area sometime during the next fortnight, if I can get any more time off work! you have my number in any case. Best of luck with the fishing!
Cheers, Graeme

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi graeme.

Make that one more booking for the pier fishing lessons. :)

As always you are catching fish and your reports are interesting to follow.

well done.
I look forward to another installment.

simon.
:fish:
Cheers Simon, already looking forward to another go in the near future, hopefully the fish will turn up aswell.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Well done on the bass again Graham. Sounds a great bass spot.

Do you use a treble to lip hook the live bait under a large float and fish it close to the piles or freeline it?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well done on the bass again Graham. Sounds a great bass spot.

Do you use a treble to lip hook the live bait under a large float and fish it close to the piles or freeline it?

Hi coalie, I use a single 6/0 or a couple of 5/0s, through the top lip of the livebait. Considered using trebles but thought it might be difficult to get the fish de-hooked once landed, and could possibly cause problems when netting the fish.

I just use a plain 5oz bomb and a long flowing hooklength, not tried float fishing yet but it would be very interesting to experiment with this method.
Cheers, Graeme

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Any sign of mullet coming out off cromer pier, i occasionally enjoy tearing my hair out in an attempt to catch them!:cry:

But they are sooo tasty!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Tagman, I personally haven't had any this season (except for one lost) but have seen of a few caught. There should be more during August with the clearer water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts