World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished with Nick and John, 7.00pm - 10.45pm over the top of the tide. We fished with the intention of catching turbot, fishing sandeel, sandeel strip and mackerel under belly. Conditions were near perfect for them this evening, bar small amounts of snot weed. The mackerel was as fresh as a daisy from Norwich market and was the successful bait. OK we averaged a dozen or so baits in the water most of the time so one fish isn't a great success. With a couple of dabs and a bass it was pretty slow really, but for my money catching that little 'ol turbie was magic, well done golden nads Nick. The fish swam off strongly to fight another day.
I don't think it's right to name the specific venue for fear of the obvious.This fish wasn't a giant but a few "dinner plates" turn up annually in this neck of the woods. There are a few small fish showing from the Norfolk beaches at the moment to fish baits, they tend to be larger late autumn which is the best time to try for them here.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Always good to target a species and then catch it, nice to see something a bit different.
What size were the dabs and bass?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nigel,told you NN was getting like the channel islands!!
Seano Lol, you did you old bugger.
Winklun' one outer there was a right result. Still we'll have 'em in the Terhi's a bit later. I was going out this weekend, not over the bell mind. Further round, I dew know better though! Was I right about the weather the other week, or did you go over? I'm itchin'. Best.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Always good to target a species and then catch it, nice to see something a bit different.
What size were the dabs and bass?
u0347108, agreed. I predicted a hell of a pull along there last night and it was there. In fact it was the strongest tide i've fished from the beach for 6 months at least. Historically we've had 'em along here when it's like this. I got something right for once.
Funny thing is others fishing local beaches didn't get any rip at all.

Titchy bass, Titchy dabs.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
nice report B.J and well done nick.Is this a common species on the NN coast or just a rarety worth targeting :g:
Am i correct in thinking the shore caught record comes from Dunwich or something.
Maybe they're worth a go in this neck of the woods.
What used to be unusall catches seem more common now.
Spratty:clap3: :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Spratty. I believe the record was caught at Dunwich, just round the corner from you and weighed 28lb or close. Now that is a fish.
I wouldn't say turbies are common in NN particularly or any Norfolk, Suffolk beach for that matter. They are catchable in certain areas but they are very very bait fussy. IMO 80% of it is about using the freshest fish bait you can get. This is hard especially as the fish run inshore outside our main bait fish period. If you fish with old manky frozen stuff forget it, you won't catch a turbot unless you are exceptionally jammy.
As far as the other 20% is concerned, it's local knowledge, attempting something different and perseverence. Good luck if you try for one.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Luck" dribbles down me chin m8.
I'm looking to you to tip us the wink on them there sole when there in your way.:secret: :secret:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
fresh mackerel seems the best bait,if you can't get it ammo sandeels are good,some come out on crab.best chance of a better one seems to be late summer/autumn,definitelya few beaches in norfolk that seem to produce them regularly if you fish for them .

·
Registered
948 Posts
nice catch BJ,
Its nice when you go out of your way to target a species which is seldom fished for along our coast line and catch one. I know there are several spots along the coast where they come up every year all around plate size but never in any quantity. A few years ago I had one at Yarmouth on sandeel and also one at a spot Freddy Williams(god bless him) put me on to a few years ago at Horsey on fresh herring. By the way no numbers of sole showing yet.
Dabslayer

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yo Dabs, hopefully we'll get a few more trips in after them before the water clears. I don't know about you but I like the variety of fishing on offer in the summer. Sole, bass, boat, spinning, plugging, rays, smuts, cod! Brilliant isn't it.
How big was the Horsey turbie?
I love Horsey and Winterton. Winterton is a wonder if you consider how far back the sea is now. I recall casting out from the groynes which are now burried in the sand. Sea Palling, cheers.
The missus and I took a walk last week at Waxham and there was a lovely stetch about three groynes south from the church. the concrete behind had very interesting graffiti. Definately at bit of a casters beach, but ray/smut city I reckon, if you are up that way have a chuck or two mate! Cheers Dabs.

Role on the sole

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
none this year ,haven't been fishing local beach.still bassing round the coast might go local sunday evening .

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Digger

:) MOT. Sound, it's been quite good Ovy way. Now the wind has gone a designer fish?:) Hope the snot disappears, good luck if you give it a go.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts