World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and the boy decided to fish one of our local Sandy marks for the last 3 hours of the flood. We wasn’t expecting a special night but to see a couple of fish was the aim, with that we got to the beach for about 8.30 and set ourselves up. I decided to fish two rods for myself and the boy with his, having not fished two rods for a while I knew it would be more busy than normal.
I got my rod out lovely and by that time the boy was ready for me to hull his out too. I set up my second rod baited up a nice fresh black sausage and sent it, with a lovely crack it was off to the mermaids for that one. I chucked that reel in the box and pulled out the spare and tried again, this time it was ok, second cast on that rod actually caught my lost gear so I was pleased with that.
About an hour and a half from top the first bite came to me with a nice 53cm bass at distance, then the boy close in with a 42. We unhooked and baited up again, while baiting up the line from my other rod dropped to the floor. I rushed to reel up the slack to feel what I thought might have been my first ever double figure fish but sadly not although it was a double header of bass on the pennel 36cm and a 48.
We ended the night having seen 13 fish between us, 8 to me and 5 to the boy. We kept the 53 and the boy kept a 48 but most were around 42 to 45 cm so figured they may as well grow for a bit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A fine report of a good Bass session that.

I understand as to how you thought you had a cracker when you had the double shot of Bass on the pennel, as done that myself on a Carp rod, it certainly increases the pulse rate. 😂

Well done Scott and Travis. 👍👍
Yes I was certainly hoping to see a nice big lump on the beach. I’m still looking for the elusive double figure bass, maybe one day I guess.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Me and the boy decided to fish one of our local Sandy marks for the last 3 hours of the flood. We wasn’t expecting a special night but to see a couple of fish was the aim, with that we got to the beach for about 8.30 and set ourselves up. I decided to fish two rods for myself and the boy with his, having not fished two rods for a while I knew it would be more busy than normal.
I got my rod out lovely and by that time the boy was ready for me to hull his out too. I set up my second rod baited up a nice fresh black sausage and sent it, with a lovely crack it was off to the mermaids for that one. I chucked that reel in the box and pulled out the spare and tried again, this time it was ok, second cast on that rod actually caught my lost gear so I was pleased with that.
About an hour and a half from top the first bite came to me with a nice 53cm bass at distance, then the boy close in with a 42. We unhooked and baited up again, while baiting up the line from my other rod dropped to the floor. I rushed to reel up the slack to feel what I thought might have been my first ever double figure fish but sadly not although it was a double header of bass on the pennel 36cm and a 48.
We ended the night having seen 13 fish between us, 8 to me and 5 to the boy. We kept the 53 and the boy kept a 48 but most were around 42 to 45 cm so figured they may as well grow for a bit.
Them mermaids do love a fresh black sausage boi . 😆😜

Very well done on that session. A few years ago i had 2 fish on a pennel and thought i had a fish of a life time. Turned out to be a 5lb bass and a 6 lb hound . 😔😤

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Yes I was certainly hoping to see a nice big lump on the beach. I’m still looking for the elusive double figure bass, maybe one day I guess.
You, me and many others also. Though I've just about stopped trying to be honest, too many hours spent fishing big baits at obscure hours without success, has led me to believe, if its meant to happen then it will and if not then hey no worries!

Besides my PB of 9lb 6oz came while fishing for Thornbacks from a flat calm Gorleston beach in daylight. It was at the time and still is, the luckiest Bass catch I've made!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You, me and many others also. Though I've just about stopped trying to be honest, too many hours spent fishing big baits at obscure hours without success, has led me to believe, if its meant to happen then it will and if not then hey no worries!

Besides my PB of 9lb 6oz came while fishing for Thornbacks from a flat calm Gorleston beach in daylight. It was at the time and still is, the luckiest Bass catch I've made!
See now I’m the same, I honestly think the bigger ones come from calmer water. My 5lb 2 was on a calm night, my boys 5lb 10 also on a calm night and if we fish on a rough night then I think you do well to see em much over 3lb, that is if they are there.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
See now I’m the same, I honestly think the bigger ones come from calmer water. My 5lb 2 was on a calm night, my boys 5lb 10 also on a calm night and if we fish on a rough night then I think you do well to see em much over 3lb, that is if they are there.
Very interesting subject this and one that is open to conjecture, as many anglers have varying experiences from different locations.

My biggest Bass in a very rough sea is 7lb 12oz from Cart Gap. The best from a moderately rough sea is 9lb 2oz from Mundesley and as already noted 9lb 6oz from a flat sea. So I'm not sure you can draw much of a conclusion from that? I certainly can't!

The truth of the matter is though, as wonderful and unforgettable to catch as they were, none of those Bass could be considered as truly big fish.

Bass generally appear to love rough and well oxygenated water, it just seems to turn them on and bring them to life. However, I personally do not believe that old and big fish could be bothered with all that chasing around for a few small morsels of Crab, Whitebait, Worm etc. They'll surely be more inclined to lay up near to an underwater feature of some description and simply engulf anything they can fit into their mouth as it passes by. Only trouble being from a personal viewpoint, I've yet to find the feature that holds such a beasty.

Any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I can only speak of lure fishing, but a calm, flat and clear sea in daylight is rubbish. When bass feed, they need to hold an advantage over their prey, and as very powerful swimmers, turbulent water, be it breaking waves or strong current gives them the advantage. They can hold around features and wait for struggling prey to be washed past helplessly - they are as energy efficient as they can be. For lure fishing in daylight you need turbulence. Dark, less so, as bass are feeding without sight, and are more confident to move in calm shallow water, feeling vibration and sensing movement. I can see how bait fishing is different, and how a passing fish might pick up the scent of a bait in very calm water, but in my experience, and I have put a few hours in, calm clear water in daytime is devoid of larger bass. I reckon Sole Intentions imagined his PB. Shouldn’t have happened.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I started fishing in 1957, and save for little gaps, have never stopped.

Truth be said, it has mostly been in foriegn places. (Royal Navy and living Mauritius/Spain/Gibraltar/Portugal/Canaries, etc).

My username suggests something more than I truly am ... I just love bass, but I'm no expert.

I am still learning when it comes to UK waters. I have only ever once weighed (or measured) a fish, they all go back unless the odd bigger one has ended up on our dinner plates. The one I did weigh (97 lbs), I believe broke the UK conger record at the time. Two problems, we knew nothing about records back then, and anyway, it was caught on a line left out overnight over the side of the ship.

Must be very remiss of me, or maybe stupid, but I 'go fishing'. I never gave too much thought to when, where or the what but I have very seldom blanked. More recently I have begun to consider these things.

So now I have five days fishing along the Norfolk/Suffolk coast. It remains to be seen whether I have learned from what I read on here.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
calm clear water in daytime is devoid of larger bass. I reckon Sole Intentions imagined his PB. Shouldn’t have happened.

You're so correct boi Will, it simply shouldn't have happened.

I cast a whole squid about 60 yards, put the rod in the Tripod and tried to tighten the line, but it wouldn't tighten, huh? I thought the trace must have somehow come unclipped and I had lost it. I wound and to my amazement the line tightened at about 15 yards out and there was a large swirl on the surface, at which point the Bass behaved like a dog on a lead, cruised toward the shore and virtually beached itself. I must have landed the bait on its nose and it possibly took the squid on the drop before it had touched the seabed.

Like I said, the luckiest Bass capture I have ever made. 😊😂

Water Sky Beach Body of water Fish

Please note the raging coloured sea in the background. 😁

Otherwise, thanks for the very interesting assessment you have made based upon your experiences. 👍

·
Registered
207 Posts
Very interesting subject this and one that is open to conjecture, as many anglers have varying experiences from different locations.

My biggest Bass in a very rough sea is 7lb 12oz from Cart Gap. The best from a moderately rough sea is 9lb 2oz from Mundesley and as already noted 9lb 6oz from a flat sea. So I'm not sure you can draw much of a conclusion from that? I certainly can't!

The truth of the matter is though, as wonderful and unforgettable to catch as they were, none of those Bass could be considered as truly big fish.

Bass generally appear to love rough and well oxygenated water, it just seems to turn them on and bring them to life. However, I personally do not believe that old and big fish could be bothered with all that chasing around for a few small morsels of Crab, Whitebait, Worm etc. They'll surely be more inclined to lay up near to an underwater feature of some description and simply engulf anything they can fit into their mouth as it passes by. Only trouble being from a personal viewpoint, I've yet to find the feature that holds such a beasty.

Any thoughts guys?
In my opinion if you've caught a bass of any size in north norfolk, then at some stage a double has come through there. Even nurseries as its common for large bass to predate on there own kind. The reason more large bass are not caught is as follows . In my opinion. 1. The more fished beaches ,over the years have seen anglers quite rightly take bass for the pot. Bass have now been proven to visit the same area of coast year in year out, given how slow they grow ,common sence would tell you less larger fish and more smaller fish on the more fished marks . lots of the most popular are rather featureless , bass will pass through these beaches to reach there chosen spot to hold on . 9 times out of 10 a feature. 2. If you knew how many bites in the form of tweeks ,knocks,pulls and rattles are big bass it would shock you.they can be unbelievable on how carefully they select a meal. small bass are in competition , doubles scare the competition away and take time with there food anless chaseing fish. once they know something up with your bait game overthey leave .This brings me to some info that not many would know .I learnt from specimen perch fishing [same family as bass] If they know something is up or you miss one they can send signals to other shoal members of the danger ,thus spooking any remaining shoal members , this also applies to releasing the fish if you fishing close. better to walk a way down the beach for releasing, if fishing close. 3. Doubles love a feature, structure, roughground, ledges , kelp and wrack beds gulleys. back of sand banks and strong tide the nearly always sit down tide in the creace sitting in the slower water in wait for the sea to do the work for them. These areas have high density of smaller life. I dont need to say most anglers avoid these gear grave yards. The best of these marks are fiercely gaurded by the largest fish , something i have personaly witnessed snorkling on 2 massive chalk arches with the biggest fish being in prime location just over the ledge , if any smaller fish came to close then instant chase off. 4. Bait. sure some large fish get caught on small baits, but trust me when i say big baits big fish . There people who belive that some of the biggest bass switch to fish only, im not one of those people. i do how ever belive that if useing crab 1 is not enough 3 to 4 is. same as worm big big baits[yes i do know of a 12 comeing to worm]. some people's idea of a big bait makes me laugh. now i could on but have covered the basic question mark you left soul man.

·
Registered
207 Posts
In my opinion if you've caught a bass of any size in north norfolk, then at some stage a double has come through there. Even nurseries as its common for large bass to predate on there own kind. The reason more large bass are not caught is as follows . In my opinion. 1. The more fished beaches ,over the years have seen anglers quite rightly take bass for the pot. Bass have now been proven to visit the same area of coast year in year out, given how slow they grow ,common sence would tell you less larger fish and more smaller fish on the more fished marks . lots of the most popular are rather featureless , bass will pass through these beaches to reach there chosen spot to hold on . 9 times out of 10 a feature. 2. If you knew how many bites in the form of tweeks ,knocks,pulls and rattles are big bass it would shock you.they can be unbelievable on how carefully they select a meal. small bass are in competition , doubles scare the competition away and take time with there food anless chaseing fish. once they know something up with your bait game overthey leave .This brings me to some info that not many would know .I learnt from specimen perch fishing [same family as bass] If they know something is up or you miss one they can send signals to other shoal members of the danger ,thus spooking any remaining shoal members , this also applies to releasing the fish if you fishing close. better to walk a way down the beach for releasing, if fishing close. 3. Doubles love a feature, structure, roughground, ledges , kelp and wrack beds gulleys. back of sand banks and strong tide the nearly always sit down tide in the creace sitting in the slower water in wait for the sea to do the work for them. These areas have high density of smaller life. I dont need to say most anglers avoid these gear grave yards. The best of these marks are fiercely gaurded by the largest fish , something i have personaly witnessed snorkling on 2 massive chalk arches with the biggest fish being in prime location just over the ledge , if any smaller fish came to close then instant chase off. 4. Bait. sure some large fish get caught on small baits, but trust me when i say big baits big fish . There people who belive that some of the biggest bass switch to fish only, im not one of those people. i do how ever belive that if useing crab 1 is not enough 3 to 4 is. same as worm big big baits[yes i do know of a 12 comeing to worm]. some people's idea of a big bait makes me laugh. now i could on but have covered the basic question mark you left soul man.
forgot to say bass are there on the same marks calm or rough . its just rough throws out more food that gets the warry element of bass a back seat and takes there attention to a degree away from danger and the broken water over head builds confidence. calm conditions gives them to much time to work out danger .

·
Registered
61 Posts
You're so correct boi Will, it simply shouldn't have happened.

I cast a whole squid about 60 yards, put the rod in the Tripod and tried to tighten the line, but it wouldn't tighten, huh? I thought the trace must have somehow come unclipped and I had lost it. I wound and to my amazement the line tightened at about 15 yards out and there was a large swirl on the surface, at which point the Bass behaved like a dog on a lead, cruised toward the shore and virtually beached itself. I must have landed the bait on its nose and it possibly took the squid on the drop before it had touched the seabed.

Like I said, the luckiest Bass capture I have ever made. 😊😂

View attachment 1389544

Please note the raging coloured sea in the background. 😁

Otherwise, thanks for the very interesting assessment you have made based upon your experiences. 👍
That's a good catch Alan, good onya boi I reckon it was rushing ashore to see you ?👍 Well done 👍🎣🎣🎣

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
That's a good catch Alan, good onya boi I reckon it was rushing ashore to see you ?👍 Well done 👍🎣🎣🎣
Of course, why didn't I think of that? 😂😂😂👍

In reality, it was of course simply swimming in the opposite direction to the resistance it felt i.e. a 5oz spiked lead. That's what slack line bites are all about.

·
Registered
169 Posts
On the subject of big Bass, I spent ages trying for a "big-un" my plan was to fish places had had a structure but weren't fished.
I lost countless set of gear fishing big baits near pier's and wrecks that were close in but never connected with any Bass of note but I pulled out many decent out of season Codling to 5lb 5oz but I also blanked so many times.
Now I'm happy to stick to trying to finding fish holding features on the ever changing sandy beach's within about an hour from me, I catch plenty but but my biggest Bass is still only 5lb 2oz but there's always hope.
I always say each to his own but the more sessions you put in the more you catch, if you are willing to learn.
One of my best result was a gully around a structure I spotted at low tide when I was out with the kids that screamed Bass. Went back that night and into darkness to the top of the tide, had a session that was purely hard work 18 Codling all 3 to 4lb, several on double shots, but no Bass.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts