World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the north sea is warming up so much that some species of fish are moving to new areas eg sandeels,but the tuna is come back to the north sea, climate change is to blame.shaggy

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Years ago when tuna ran up the east coast in large numbers it was the herring shoals that they followed. There have been reports that the herring are making a come back in the area and if the food is there to sustain the herring then maybe there is a chance to see tuna again. I suppose it is all about substantial numbers within the food chain.
You mention climate change Shaggy, but what do you think was the reason for tuna being in the North Sea all those years ago? Climate change and ozone layers etc. were un heard of then.
If the sea is getting warmer then maybe alot of the cod etc have moved further north to cooler water not to be seen again.
I guess time will tell.

Arctechnic

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
"but the tuna is come back to the north sea"
Years ago Whitby boats went out for them,
Just Imagine catching one on Whitby West pier !!! now that would be fun ;)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Thanks Leon for the links to your site. It is good to see news of the happenings in the North sea,and so I have taken time out to join SACN to keep updated with the news. I hope more will do the same.
The North sea is obviously still thriving but not with the fish that we are used to targeting. If dolphins etc are moving in then they must have the food source to thrive.
I am so used to coming in after a days fishing and asking other anglers what they have caught " Only mackeral , cos thee' int' nowt else!" they often moan.
Of course there are others but, anglers seam to refuse to target any thing else other than Cod. When we launch, all the boats tend to head in the same direction over the sandy bottom to the deeper rougher ground to marks where cod have been caught in the past but they very often return without the target fish. It just shows that it is not just commercial fishermen that tend to be blinkered but some of us anglers are as well and attitudes have to change along with the species that we are looking to catch. A fight from a tuna would be very nice.

Cheers
Arct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts