World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just got back home to kent today after a week’s fishing in north wales.myself,flathead and my friend and neighbour mark jones.

Day 1.

Arrived at Caernarfon,unpacked,got settled and then made our way down to foryyd bay for a couple of hour’s fishing in the afternoon.we never got anything but only really went down there to find the bait bed’s and where we would be crabbing the next day.

Day 2.

Today we went digging lug at the bay we found the previous day.i have never dug so many lug in such a short time!after we got our lug we went round to ronnie’s slipway and searched for some peeler crab.we found loads of them including some big velvet’s and a few edible’s too.that afternoon we headed to ty croes.we hadn’t picked the best week tide and weather wise so all we ended up with was a few dog’s and mark caught a couple of nice wrasse to about 2.5lb.

I’ve fished this ty croes a couple of times in the past and done well but today,we were not on the mark I fished before down there.after telling my mates how good it can be there we were a little disappointed.oh well.

Day 3.

Crabbing again in the straits.not as good as the previous day so we went up to menai bridge and got a load from up there.what a great spot that looked for spinning.mark wanted to give it a try during our week but we never got round to it.we went to a place in the strait’s that evening on the Anglesey side hoping to get a bass or two.blanked!turns out we were in the wrong place!!here’s the view from where we were fishing.

Day 4.

After a rubbish start to our week up in north wales fishing wise we were staring to think maybe we should go back home and fish the rest of the week down there.the weather was horrible,but when we looked at the weather for kent it was even worse!anyway,today chris (the guy we stopped with)took us out netting sandeels and it was a great experience having never done anything like that before.after getting the eels he took us for a bit of a guided tour of the straits.that bloke know’s his way around that area!
Day 5.

After the poor start fishing wise to our week,we dicided to book a boat trip up.so it was off to amlck on the east side of anglsey on a boat called Kelly kim skippered by a bloke called pat.thing’s started to look up for us now as we started to catch some big bullhuss,plenty of dog’s and whiting for huss bait too.flathead had a nice 8-9lb huss which I think was his biggest fish to date.mark had never caught a huss before our week up here and he broke that duck too.it wasn’t a great day but we all had plenty of fish and one geezer on the boat had a few double figure huss which was nice to see.(we don’t get them in kent).mark and flathead(tone)done better than I did today as I could only find a few small huss and loads of dogs.never the less thing’s were looking up.what I did enjoy was the banter with the skipper when he took the micky out of us saying it was like being on lock,stock and two smoking barrell’s and that we were cockney’s!we live miles away from bleeding London!also we did see some pilot wales and a few seals out there which was good.here’s the view from the boat as we came in to bet some whiting bait’s after a fruitless wrecking bash.

here’s tone’s pb huss….

Day 6.

Today chris took us out into caerarfon bay on his very handsome boat too try for some mackerel for the next day’s bait and hope to get us some bream and maybe a tope.after getting plenty of bait we tried a few marks in the bay.the one’s I can remember are bird 5hit rock,the reef off of dinas beach and llanwyn rocks.as I said earlier,we hadn’t picked the best week tide wise and we struggled to get any quality fish.BUT…..i did manage to catch my biggest ever fish and I was well pleased.a 10lb bullhuss.cheer’s chris.i know they are not your fave fish but I don’t care!!!I have no picky of the fish as I forgopt my camera but tone might stick it on here sometime when he see’s this thread.we all had plenty of huss,dogs etc and on the way back we tried that reef for a bream but only small Pollack,huss and dog’s were about.
Then we went over to the rock’s at llanwyn for a bass on the live eel’s but it was not to be.never mind,it was a great afternoon/evening’s fishing and I got my pb!thank’s again chris!

Day 7.

Previously during the week,chris had got us a day’s fishing on a boat out of pwllheli after tope and bream.the boat is a blythe catamaran which we are familiar with as we fish on one once a month out of dover back home once a month.what we never realised was how great a bloke the skipper is.what a gentleman he is!Jason is the guy’s name.he couldn’t do enough for us.shook all our hands as he met us,explained what we would be doing during our day out,kept us fuelled up with drinks and food all day,and put us over fish.we never go a tope on the boat but got into loads of bream and huss too.the usual dogs and the odd Pollack as well.the first two hours of this trip has got to be one of if not the best fishing I have ever had!here’s a few pic’s of our day.

just like the last time I was up in north wales.the last day was the best.can’t wait till I can get back up there.

Lastly I just want to thank chrisp for accomadating us,all the advise he gave and for being a genuine great bloke.my freezer is now full up with bait and also some nice fish to eat too!cheer’s chris,you’re a star.

P.S.sorry if I’ve spelt any of your towns wrong!!……dave.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
A good report fella shame the week didnt go to plan I surpose thats british weather for you. Chris does know the straits well and his boat:)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Just wish you had picked bigger tides Dave, sorry for not getting you into the fish.

Going out over the bar in a 6 to 8 foot swell at 15 knots was fun though.

Good to meet you and hope you will come back on a bigger set of tides to give me another shot.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
No it isn't as long as they are collected by hand and in size. You need a license if using a pot.

Byelaw 20 North Wales SFC

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Nice one Dave, what a cool week. Lucky bastid! LOL

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
No it isn't as long as they are collected by hand and in size. You need a license if using a pot.

Byelaw 20 North Wales SFC
i apologize if have been misinformed, :giveup: what is the min size chris so i know? i picked some velvets the other week only to put em back as i thought they were off limits, by the way what do you think of them compared to regular peelers

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Liocarcinus puber Velvet crab 65mm

Cancer pagurus Edible crab 130mm

Limit on numbers if collected in a pot, by hand they have not set limits as yet.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nice one son i will be round later to help ya get rid of all that bait ya got in yr freezer!!:clap2:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
your welcome to try some of the eel's mate.they are a lot better than the one's we get turned over for in kent!

as for the crab,the velvets we got were well insize but the edible's :unsure::unsure::whistling never got many edible's anyway but i'll bear the sizes in mind next time i'm up there.

chris,we enjoyed our day out on your boat mate.i got my PB and it made a change to fish in calm condition's.i'll take you up on your offer and see you sometime next year,and i'll be asking you when there will be some good tides for us too....dave.:)

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Excellent report and piccies, shame about the Bass (the venue looks a bit like the shore below the Sea Zoo and, on its day fishes well - don't they all!!) Fish are caught at all states of the tide but most last two hours of ebb a nd first 2 up and , as Chris sez (whever he is?) on big tides!! Mind you your party did quite well all round!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ive been on 1 trip with Jason from Pwlleli and would reccomend him to anyone, great skipper, loads of tea and good food!

·
Registered
389 Posts
great photos dave,the bream look great.chris youre a diamond mate,if i was from away then youve just sold me north wales.great report dave.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent report and piccies, shame about the Bass (the venue looks a bit like the shore below the Sea Zoo and, on its day fishes well - don't they all!!) Fish are caught at all states of the tide but most last two hours of ebb a nd first 2 up and , as Chris sez (whever he is?) on big tides!! Mind you your party did quite well all round!
yeah,that's where we was,near the sea zoo.we fished next to that old slipway/jetty thing in front of a white bungalow i think.there was a load of small fish or sandeel's boiling up close in at high water.we tried a few spinner's and plugs near them to try and catch whatever was chasing them but no luck.

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,629 Posts
Great report Dave, and lovely pics. Its great fun collecting crabs on the fforidd, its amazing what you can find there, i think i seen you there when i was passing, well done on your report .....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts