World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you pop over to C and P you will see in Dai post it looks like Bangor uni have done a fast one on Anglers...when they asked for your imput in a bass survey..

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I read this last night, thanks sai, for those that can't be bothered reading through the 100 odd pages they have basically extracted about 60,000 posts from WSF and got some IT guy to write some software to glean out all the posts containing bass reports and used this as part of their studies into RSA.

So if, like me, you have ever put a Bass reports on here in the chances are you have directly contributed to the study.

I'm surprised that this has and can be done, I wouldn't be surprised to see bass reports take a nose dive this year, if I was the forum owner, assuming they didn't grant access to the data, I'd be annoyed to say the least.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yes buddy bad news no more bass info from me on here as we all know it will end in tears it always does and the angler get the SHxx end of the stick . So keep it to your selves from know on or regret it big style

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crom, who posted regarding this did not say these would be used......now they have this data are they selling it on....
This is bad news for anyone who fish's for bass as anyone can get hold of your data...good or bad....
The uni need to explain..simple as...

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And just asked mike if that was legal or was the info sold to them.
also they even have a screen shot of WSF..
if you are for or against restrictions on bass fishing using your forum info without your consent must make you a little bit peeved..
wyn

·
Registered
692 Posts
I feel betrayed to be honest. I'll deffo think twice about reports now.

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep all our reports taken and used just as well I did not do many.but all together a load of info given by us to other fishermen used by a university for an official report with the help of BASS and other organisations which some of us do not like and even CF involved....so even if you want to keep info away from netters its to late its out there...
And we even gave crom further help with marks and info what a cheeky word he was.
what else are they been given acces to on here I wonder.....do they know how many times I have been banned as I cannot remember.
Wyn

Just wait for any uni fluckur that issues a report on my beads I will release the dogs and any uni anglers wanting help......swivel.
wyn

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,945 Posts
A pure underhand disgraceful way of gaining honest words from honest fisherman and surely using it for no good. Send them all who have breached our honesty to be crab bait and let the scavengers and bottom feeders have their fill and dispose of them into the accustomed fashion they have treated us all.......................................

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just wait for any uni fluckur that issues a report on my beads I will release the dogs and any uni anglers wanting help......swivel.
wyn
Just wanted to ask that you dont tar all uni students with the same brush.

I'm an angler who also happens to be a student, and having briefly looked at the thesis agree that if the data mining was done without the consent of the owners of this forum, it was out of order.
I would also agree with others on the c&p forum that as a source of scientific data the forum would not stand up to the levels of traceability and repeatability that an MsC thesis should be held. (we all know that fishermen can exaggerate a little!)

Re the 'report on Wyn's magic beads', as it was me who was talking about this a lot, I can only say that i was interested as a fisherman, and not wanting to write up a study on the subject (I'm a physical oceanographer not a biologist anyway), and hope that you believe me!

Finally, I've had some good advice from members on here, and some good banter too, and hope that that isnt going to come to an end because of the actions of another member of the university i attend.

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to ask that you dont tar all uni students with the same brush.

I'm an angler who also happens to be a student, and having briefly looked at the thesis agree that if the data mining was done without the consent of the owners of this forum, it was out of order.
I would also agree with others on the c&p forum that as a source of scientific data the forum would not stand up to the levels of traceability and repeatability that an MsC thesis should be held. (we all know that fishermen can exaggerate a little!)

Re the 'report on Wyn's magic beads', as it was me who was talking about this a lot, I can only say that i was interested as a fisherman, and not wanting to write up a study on the subject (I'm a physical oceanographer not a biologist anyway), and hope that you believe me!

Finally, I've had some good advice from members on here, and some good banter too, and hope that that isnt going to come to an end because of the actions of another member of the university i attend.
did someone fart....for I can smell something unpleasant. And you can put that in your thesis
mate.
wyn.

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,007 Posts
I read this last night, thanks sai, for those that can't be bothered reading through the 100 odd pages they have basically extracted about 60,000 posts from WSF and got some IT guy to write some software to glean out all the posts containing bass reports and used this as part of their studies into RSA.

So if, like me, you have ever put a Bass reports on here in the chances are you have directly contributed to the study.

I'm surprised that this has and can be done, I wouldn't be surprised to see bass reports take a nose dive this year, if I was the forum owner, assuming they didn't grant access to the data, I'd be annoyed to say the least.
Annoyed is an understatement. We are taking advice tomorrow to see if anything can be done but it is doubtful as no copyright breaches have occurred, it is simply a rounding of data :( We have now locked all report forums down into members only so no non-members can read reports anymore (including bots and scrapers). It is not fool proof as technically it is hard to stop content scraping but is a stop gap until we find something better.

It wasn't only WSF that was used, all the popular forums that cover North Wales were scraped too :(

·
Banned
8,293 Posts
Would a simple line near top of WSF home page informing ....No posts may be copied from this site without the permission of the poster or owner of WSF, failure to do so may lead to prosecution....Or is it much to complicated than that legally?

·
13,170 Posts
Would a simple line near top of WSF home page informing ....No posts may be copied from this site without the permission of the poster or owner of WSF, failure to do so may lead to prosecution....Or is it much to complicated than that legally?
It would be meaningless. In law it is not possible to deprive a party of their legal rights. Even if they sign up to it!

·
Registered
85 Posts
did someone fart....for I can smell something unpleasant. And you can put that in your thesis
mate.
wyn.
No wonder you get banned so often.

Anyone else want to have a go at me for being a Bangor uni student? Before you do, read my post about this issue and have a grown up think about what your reply will say about you.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Keep it to your selves lads take it from me . We will be the ones that lose out not others always will always have moms the word regarding bass reports from know on

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Personally I didn't take part in the survey due to the person involved coming across to me as an obnoxious and self opinionated individual and I even followed the link just to say why I wouldn't take part so I am fuming that my reports on bass catches were used anyway without my consent :nonono:.

Having to tailor my future reports to avoid them being used by such a selfish and underhanded person will make me extremely reluctant to share anything with any anglers I do not know in future, sad but true :sad:.

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No wonder you get banned so often.

Anyone else want to have a go at me for being a Bangor uni student? Before you do, read my post about this issue and have a grown up think about what your reply will say about you.
Thank you for that, The person who did the survey came onto WSF and requested the information in a polite way, answering questions regarding who would use the data, who had access, we were informed that only people wishing to take part would be included. Now we find that over 60,000 posts going back to 2004 were used....a few would of been mine.I am just a little bit peeved.
If this is the calibre of the students from the university then do not expect me to trust any of you.And hopfully any further requests for data from the university will be given a cold shoulder.
As for my reply to you that will be the level of my replies to anyone from the uni from now on.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Being in IT myself - I can tell you that it's not unusual to scrape websites for information. The problem is that the information is in the public domain and accessible to anyone over HTTP. Perhaps the answer might be to make it a closed forum? On saying that I'll be careful on what info I post (not that there's much of that - not fished since last August).

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Personally I didn't take part in the survey due to the person involved coming across to me as an obnoxious and self opinionated individual and I even followed the link just to say why I wouldn't take part so I am fuming that my reports on bass catches were used anyway without my consent :nonono:.

Having to tailor my future reports to avoid them being used by such a selfish and underhanded person will make me extremely reluctant to share anything with any anglers I do not know in future, sad but true :sad:.
My sentiments entirely Andy. Sadly.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts