World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI folks just joined and am going to north wales for a long weekend this coming friday

so wheres the best place for a bit of fishing action around north wales to keep me occupied for a good few hours , ill be staying around the Barmouth or Porthmadog areas

thanks in advance andy

ps not a newbie to sea fishing as i was always fishing off the old pier at portencross or the harbour at Ardrossan in Ayrshire before moving south

·
Banned
10,968 Posts
Barmouth pay 50p and fish off the toll bridge 2 hours up and down. Porthmadog try the Machine gun nest at Borth y Gest, again 2hours up and down. Both comfy spots that produce fish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well what a weekend

arrived in Barmouth friday afternoon had look at the spot that ian suggested and then, got the essentials in like beer and food then went up to Shell island to set up the tent

friday night even though it was blowing a gale i thought I;d try my luck in the harbour/ estuary at shell island had been there an hour and ended up with a a plastic bag:roll1:, then something happened felt my rod move and it was crab so moved along abit after getting rid of mr crab, another hour of sod all but weed and was just thinking of packing up when the rod moved and I was thinking more weed , but nope I was, wrong out came a rather nice bass not quite big enough to keep so back in it went, then went back to the tent as I was soaked

saturday got up packed the gear in the car and headed for barmouth to visit the tackle shop I had spotted on the way in , got some mackie fillets and a few more rubber sandeels , and a cheap fishing rod for the wife who was keen to try fishing for the first time, as it was high tide we went up to Porthmadog and did the touristy thing for a few hours and then went to try the other spot that ian recommended at borth y gest but it was busy so we gave it a miss for now so, it was off for a trip on the narrow gauge railway .

after that it was off back to the camp site when I decided to try the beach at llandanwg showed the wife how to set up her rod.

spent several hours with no luck ,then i caught a nice pile of weed and as i was detangling from it a small weaver fell out of it dont think that counts as a catch tho lol, so decide to walk further up towards the estuary after the bass from friday night the wife was getting bored when her rod bent over and shouted me, so i reeled in and she had caught a decent sized bass must have been around the 2lb area, not bad on a cheap £8 rod and my spare spinning reel, then my rod bent over and i had caught another bass also about 2lb just as i was landing it a cheeky crab decided to nip its claws on to the tails of the bass , packed up for the night as the wife was wanting her tea,

sunday packed the tent up then went back down to barmouth, tried the beach at the north end for a few hours but blanked so we went back up to borth y gest where after another few hours of fishing the result was a crab and a very small mullet

a good weekend in all and the wife is wanting me to get her a decent sea rod and is looking forward to our next sea fishing trip :yahoo:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hi,

Glad you enjoyed the weekend in Gods Country, and well done on cathching, makes the difference, will cost you a packet if the missus gets the bug.

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheres dave and ian

looks like im going to needing loads of overtime once i get to work next week just had the glasgow angling centre catalogues and the veals one drop thru the letter box

mind you at least she is willing to come out fishing rather than watching x factor or some other ****e on telly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts