World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Ole

I have a few questions: I own and run a seafishing lodge close to Skjervøy (Arnøya), and I was wondering how to attract more english customers and more attention in the UK? Where are usually english sports anglers to be found?

All the best
Ole Petter Pedersen, Crazy Cod Camp

Below, Mr John Long and the Monster of all times :)

IMG_0224.JPG

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'd start with catch reports, pictures of accommodation prices also car hire ect I'm not that clued up on it but is it just boat fishing or shore fishing do you do guided trips I hope this helps.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Think i met you in 2013 july we were staying in looksletta house next place up the road.
Just post pictures and catch reports
Maybe some prices and show what's on
Offer.
Did you get your pilots licence?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think i met you in 2013 july we were staying in looksletta house next place up the road.
Just post pictures and catch reports
Maybe some prices and show what's on
Offer.
Did you get your pilots licence?
Hello. Well, you have a good memory indeed. I have Commercial Pilots License now. Just came back from Ireland.
I probably met you on the road or down in the harbor. We had great catches last year, with Mr Long topping it all with his 100+ kg halibut, very late in the season. This time of the year is the Skrei fishing which dominates. Good reports daily, but predominantly professionals with nets and pilks.

Hope to see you guys some day.

All the best
Ole
Crazy Cod Camp
https://www.facebook.com/groups/241198701653/

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yes you made me a coffee when I was walking back from the harbour.
Keep us posted

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Hi Ole. Most guys who travel to Norway for boat fishing prefer to hire a boat and do their own thing. Charter boats are muchos expensive and TOO BIG.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Ole. Most guys who travel to Norway for boat fishing prefer to hire a boat and do their own thing. Charter boats are muchos expensive and TOO BIG.
Thanks for the advice Nick

Shows that we have done something right, as we only rent out accommodation and boats for self use, not charter. I have also concluded that the market for the big charter boats is very limited.

Regards, Ole
www.crazy-cod.com

·
Registered
47 Posts
You might won't to try filming some of the days when you are out fishing. Use English commentary and put you contact details at the end of the film.
If you offer tips and advise on how to fish your area with some good fishing action and post it on YouTube.
YouTube was the first place I looked when I was planning my first trip out to Norway

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Thanks for the advice Nick

Shows that we have done something right, as we only rent out accommodation and boats for self use, not charter. I have also concluded that the market for the big charter boats is very limited.

Regards, Ole
www.crazy-cod.com
Hi Ole. Imho all any potential customer wishes to know is / What boats are available/ A general description of the accomadation/ And how to get there.
Also if you could indicate a price for boats and house that would be helpful. But as you where a previous manager at Skjervoy you prob already know this.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Agree with the lads on here that you need to regularly post reports and answere any questions in a manner that shows you not only have the fish but also the service to back it all up.

I work with tourisum and know a quality picture showing people enjoying themselves speaks far loader than any text. To add to quality fish photos a few of the location and acomadation added would go along way.

Is there any other wildlife on offer such as whales or bird life etc.

Video can be far less appealing unless done very well in my opinion where quality photos can be achieved by most people without to much hard work.

I've looked at your Facebook and truthfully not found it the easiest or quickest to navigate through, but you do have some great fun images of people enjoying themselves.

In my local small town I've given a range of images (for free) to show off what we have on offer http://www.narooma.org.au This may help you with a few ideas.

You could always offer me a free trip to do come and photograph it all for you!!!

Good luck and keep posting this forum goes out far and wide.

JonD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for all the feedback. This gave me alot to consider. We have plenty of video footage available, but it has never been assembled into a video. I will be back with more information. However, as a teaser, this is the Aurora Borealis seen above our most recent accommodation unit.

Regards, Ole
www.crazy-cod.com

12299111_10153747380679938_3456622307789723292_n.jpg

K

·
0 Posts

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
Hello my name is Ole

I have a few questions: I own and run a seafishing lodge close to Skjervøy (Arnøya), and I was wondering how to attract more english customers and more attention in the UK? Where are usually english sports anglers to be found?

All the best
Ole Petter Pedersen, Crazy Cod Camp

Below, Mr John Long and the Monster of all times :)

View attachment 336474

Having been on 7 Norway fishing holidays I think it is fair to say I now know what I am looking for in a holiday there.

Getting there: Whilst some people are happy to find the apartments, my self and many others want to be collected from the airport and taken to the apartments. Also, transfer back to the airport is essential.

Vehicle hire: The hire vehicle needs to be waiting at the apartments, all paid for and ready to go.

Bait: It is a pain in the backside bringing bait on holiday. So a holiday operator who can supply high quality fairly priced Bluey, Herring, Mackerel, Peeler crab, Mussel, Lug and ragworm has an advantage over those who dont.

A good drying room is essential for drying out floation suits etc etc.

Fish filleting areas and freezer space are also essential.

A TV with English channels is nice for when you are not fishing.

Some basic essentials in the apartment on arrival help, ie bread, milk, tea and coffee, as many flights are night flights and thus the shops are closed.

An easy to use web site in English, listing prices etc would be good as well.

Hope this helps
Shirl.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Having been on 7 Norway fishing holidays I think it is fair to say I now know what I am looking for in a holiday there.

Getting there: Whilst some people are happy to find the apartments, my self and many others want to be collected from the airport and taken to the apartments. Also, transfer back to the airport is essential.

Vehicle hire: The hire vehicle needs to be waiting at the apartments, all paid for and ready to go.

Bait: It is a pain in the backside bringing bait on holiday. So a holiday operator who can supply high quality fairly priced Bluey, Herring, Mackerel, Peeler crab, Mussel, Lug and ragworm has an advantage over those who dont.

A good drying room is essential for drying out floation suits etc etc.

Fish filleting areas and freezer space are also essential.

A TV with English channels is nice for when you are not fishing.

Some basic essentials in the apartment on arrival help, ie bread, milk, tea and coffee, as many flights are night flights and thus the shops are closed.

An easy to use web site in English, listing prices etc would be good as well.

Hope this helps
Shirl.
Thanks for the advice. I am really going to have a look at the information provided with my operational glasses. As this is very different from tourists arriving with car from eastern Europe, we need to think practical, sound, good solutions, avoiding bottlenecks and hassle.

Most of the items you describe are easily obtainable, e.g. bait, food, vehicle etc.

I also heard from some others, that lead weights available on site would be an advantage for all, as these are heavy.

Your advice is sincerely appreciated.
I will be back with kick ass videos and stories.

All the best
Ole

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
The simple fact that you've taken time to ask people what they want and your prompt replies instantly puts you at the top of my list.

The cabins look fantastic and the lack of bragging images with mass kills of fish is also good to see in this day and age.

As for British tv shows etc, when I travel to another country I prefer the social aspect of getting to know locals and their way of life (not that you can get away from British tv in most parts of the world).

From my side of the world there is more promotion on the sustainable side of fishing rather than large freezers and filleting facilities. Is there much demand for the people who just want the odd fish for dinner or do most people keep most of their catch.

JonD

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
The simple fact that you've taken time to ask people what they want and your prompt replies instantly puts you at the top of my list.

The cabins look fantastic and the lack of bragging images with mass kills of fish is also good to see in this day and age.

As for British tv shows etc, when I travel to another country I prefer the social aspect of getting to know locals and their way of life (not that you can get away from British tv in most parts of the world).

From my side of the world there is more promotion on the sustainable side of fishing rather than large freezers and filleting facilities. Is there much demand for the people who just want the odd fish for dinner or do most people keep most of their catch.

JonD

Hi Jon, in Norway, most visiting anglers will take home a proportion of their catch, mainly Hallibut, Cod and Haddock.
There are however strict limits in place. You are allowed 15Kg of filleted fish plus one whole specimen fish. So hardly a huge amount to be fair.

Reactions: JonD

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Hi Jon, in Norway, most visiting anglers will take home a proportion of their catch, mainly Hallibut, Cod and Haddock.
There are however strict limits in place. You are allowed 15Kg of filleted fish plus one whole specimen fish. So hardly a huge amount to be fair.
Thanks for that, that's quite reasonable but what happens to all those other dead fish we see in so many photos. One operator who moved out from the UK was showing pictures and describing catches of 1700kg in one day.

I haven't heard much about survival rates on cod being pulled from depth, similar species here have poor survival rates due to baratrauma and brain haemmoragh. Cod we used to catch wrecking tended to be stuffed from the mid channel wrecks. With the size and amount of fish on offer hopefully some real research has been done so it doesn't end up like the waters around the UK.

JonD

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Some tips for returning fish whilst boatfishing. (1) if you have hooked a fish that you do not wish to keep And it has come up from deep water PLEASE slow down the retrieve some 20 meters under the boat and let the fish expel all the air it can through it's arse. This normally applies to Cod and Coalfish and sometimes Haddock.

Once on the boat your fish Obviously get the hook out asap and if the fish is looking bloated It pays to exert gentle pressure by pressing down on it's stomach
from head to anus. You may hear the air being released But sometimes Not. (2) Cod normally go back if you hold them by the tail and behind the head and just
torpedo them downwards back into the depths this works well. Same applies to Coalies but they fight harder and are not always possible to release without casualties.

(3) Halibut will always give you a good fight and unless badly hooked will swim away with no problem. (4) The dreaded torsk will always die. As will any Redfish.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts