World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well pi**ed off. Just spent 2 hours typing up story to loose it on the preview. Any help from mods would be appreciated.:schmoll:

Achh,no.
Right, start again.
Attempt no2.

To say this trip was a challenge is an understatement.
On arrival at Flesland airport, picking up the rental car was challenge no1.
Being a holiday monday, the rental company was on holiday but had agreed to leave the car keys at the customer service desk. Got to customer service desk.
No keys.
Eventually after an hour and a half we finally got the keys from the customer service desk of another flight operator. This was after 2 trips to the closed rental office. Well peeed off.
After a fairly uneventful journey up to hellesoy (challenge no 2 we only got lost once) we eventualy arrived at the cabins to be greeted by our old friend Alf (Affenn), who we hadn't seen in years. This and the fact that a new pontoon harbour had been built since our last visit made up for the disappointing start.
So after a chat we also met up with our neighbours above us who were from England.:clap2: Yeh, the first british contact out there.
They themselves hadn't had a great trip either getting there. With 2 of the 3 engines failing on the ferry they had arrived 2 hours late and had ended up sleeping in the car for a night.( John, Robert, Alan and Wally)
Anyway after a brief chat it soon became apparant that these guys knew their stuff and that information sharing wasn't going to be a problem.
So after a wirlwind unpacking and fry up we were soon looking over the charts marking off the areas worth trying.
Alan was hoping to catch some Haddock so i had marked off an area to the south which had produced haddock for us in the past.
With the boat loaded with our gear it was time to hit the sea.
We had been allocated a brand new boat, a 20ft Tobias. We were a bit apprehensive
at first as it was slightly smaller than the other boats, but after heading out we knew this boat was going to be special.
With a firm take in the light waves it gripped the water like a limpet. Very smooth with a good speed of around 12knts.
With john and the lads heading south we took the course north to head for our grounds out at the okla rock. The area where we had some unbelievable fishing last year.
We soon reached the outer isles but knew from looking at the wash coming through the Horsoy sound things were going to be uncomfortable.
After we lost the lea from the islands the horrible truth hit us.
Huge waves and swell were rolling in, possibly as high as 4- 5 m in height.
No way was the Tobias going to handle any of that, infact a 40ft trawler couldn't have handled that so it was a hasty retreat back to the inside of the isles.
So with 90% of our fishing marks out the window it was a case of making the best of what the inside had to offer.
We headed south for the pollack pole. On our way down we saw John and the lads slightly to the south of us.Clearly things were just as bad further south.
After a few nice pollack on the drifts it was time for us to head home for the day.
Day 2. As we were getting ready for the fishing i watched alan on the pontoon doing a bit of fly fishing, and by the looks of it not doing to badly either. After about ten minutes he had landed a few coalies which were the perfect size for baits and returning the larger ones back to fight for another day. Good man, i like seeing that.
(Don't get me started on the Germans)
John had brought along a little fold up crab trap which he dropped down just outside our cabin. Great idea, but will it work i thought?
Again we headed for Okla and again we were driven back in.
The weather then went right down hill and the rain started, making fishing extremly tough going. In the end we gave up and headed in. I can't remember how Alan and the lads got on but i don't think they faired much better than us.
Day 3. Much the same as day 2. Again tough going conditions. At least we were able to get out with the wind being from the south. The outside was still a no go
but the forecast for the next 3 days was looking more favourable.
Day 4. Yeh the sun was out. But that bloody wind was still kicking it up a bit.
We again tried for Okla. Things had calmed down quite a bit with the south wind killing off the Northerly swell. Still very lumpy but safe enough for the boat to handle. Waves were now down to about a meter.
After 4 drifts on the exact mark it now became clear that the cod had not returned from the spawn with only a few pollack and coalies being caught. We did get a few takes that were distinctly haddocky but didn't catch any.
We tried a small peak about 400m from the old mark to see what might be around.
First drift put us smack bang over the peak with some nice pollack being landed.
Tried a second and third drift for the same peak but kept missing it as the wind and tide kept vearing us off course. We then gave up as although there was plently of fish on this mark the waves made it very uncomfortable and the laddie started feeling a bit icky. So it was back into the sheltered waters.
We then headed for a peak we had fished in the past with little success except for small coalies.
First drift over and the laddie hit into what looked like a good fish.
He soon got it up to find not 1 but 2 nice pollack.
1 at 8lbs and 1 at 5lbs. Very nice fish. The best he's ever caught.
Naturaly we had a few more drifts around this area but again due to wind and tide we just couldn't hit the same drift. Very frustrating.
Again we gave up as it was getting late. Time for home.
When we got back we met john and the lads and had a quick chat. They hadn't much luck so we had agreed to show them the haddock ground to the south in the morning.
John on the other hand had been having a bit of succes at the cabin catching some nice crabs in his little trap.:clap3: Boiled crabs for the lads tea.
Day 5.With breakfast under our belt we all headed south for the haddock. Again the wind made things very difficult for us with drifts over a mile long in under 30mins made fishing useless so we gave up on that one.
On the way past we checked out the mykleboen. Another favorite mark of ours.
The waves on the reef must have been in excess of 7m. An absolute no no for fishing but spectacular to watch all the same.
John and the gang headed north as the sea was too much. One of the lads, i think it is Robert, Suffers badly from sea sickness so the guys looked after him well. True friendship if you ask me.
We tried a few drifts along the islands in shallows looking for the red cod before eventualy ending back up at the pollack pole. Again this mark proved to be very consistant with some nice pollack with a couple of red cod making an appearance also. After a few drifts it was time for home. I just can't belive how quick a day in the boat passes.
Day 6. John had been up bright and early to check his pot and had struck gold with a pot full of nice crab. Being the gentleman that he is he offered me a few and i couldn't turn him down as i love crab. The wind had got up from the south but the sun was shining big time so me and Bigpirk decide that a few beers might go down a wee treat. So there we were,on the quayside drinking beer,eating fresh boiled crab, sun out and great company. A fantastic start to the day and a moment i don't think i will ever forget.
Thanks for that one john.
After a bit of fooling around with alans carp rod, we decided to have a shot for the plaice just out in the harbour. Didn't even get a bite but hey ho at least we tried.
The wind then died away completly so we headed out to the deep reef in the middle of the fjord.
The djupskallen is a large reef which lies right in the middle of the fjord at about 154m
with over 300m either side of it. I hadn't marked the coordinates for this one on the map so it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. Unfortunatly it lies smack bang in the middle of a busy shipping channel so we didn't get much time on it as ships coming and going constantly made us have to reel in and move.
Just one of those things but given a chance i reckon some big ling could be taken from this mark.
Again like every other day the time flew past and it was time to head home.
Day 7. Our last day. We had decided to get up early and go for broke. The wind had picked up again and was determined to destroy our last hope of getting a double.
With determination we headed for our last mark,The bollflesa rock.
A mark our very own friend martyboy is familiar with as he caught his 21lber off here.
When we rounded the last island the bollflesa was to our left looking very ominous.
I reckon than rock has claimed a few boats in it's past.
The sea was up with waves coming from two directions in a herringbone pattern.
Not a nice sea at all.
With a space of around 200m between us and the rock we started the drift.
Straight away we hit fish, some very nice tusk.
A smile came on our faces as we reminiced the remarks martyboy made on encountering these rather strange looking fish. Sorry i can't repeat the exact comments he made as it would close the forum down.
Anyway we soon ran out of deep water as the bottom started to rise onto a ridge.
Then all i describe for the next hour was complete mayhem. All four of us were straight into fish.
Pollack and boy were they good fish.
Averaging 5lb- 6lb with the strength of tigers we hit the jackpot once again. Big pirk pulled in 2 at time. One at 6lb,the other at 12lb.
At last we had reached the double.
Towards the end of the drift i hooked into a good fish, very heavy with the distinct nod of cod on rod. Unfortunatly i lost it just below the boat as it straightend out the hokkai. Bummer!!!
The wind was again increasing so we only had time for one last drift over the ridge.
The waves were back up to over a meter so again after a good drift we headed for home. We had done it. Mission accomplished.
On the way back we bumped into john and the lads. They were still on the inside plugging away. They also had good news.
Wally had landed and released a fish that they wern't sure about but from the description it could be only one thing. The mighty wolffish.
Later that day we confirmed it when we watched the playback on Roberts video camera. A good sized one at that as well. I had to laugh at the dialogue on the camera. "Bloody e'll, look at tha' gob an teeth on that thing."
The look of relief on the lads faces when Wally threw it over board are priceless.
So basicaly thats it. Another trip to Norway gone and another year to wait till the next one. Not the best of trips fish wise but had the weather been kinder the story could have been a lot different.
Sorry bigdunny, unfortunatly because of the weather very few pics were taken but here are some anyway. Iam hoping john will send me some and hopefully at least one of the wolffish which to me i would give fish of the week.
As to martyboy i'm afraid your crown now goes to Bigpirk who wiped the floor with me,.:clap3:
Now for the pics, sorry the're crap.
son of lobster with a fine brace of pollack.

The lads on the veranda.
from left to right.
Wally(the pipe) ,littlepirk,sonoflobster,the top of bigpirks head, alan(the beerbelly), john(thegentleman) and rob(the wolfman)

bigpirk and the crab have a political discussion

Littlepirk finds the cod

some fash

The new harbour

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Thats happened to me a heap of times. Difficult to get back if you've clicked onto a heap of pages after losing it. Seems like you'll have to get typing again!!

As long as its on for when i get home you'll be ok!!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Easy to be wise after the event but since this happened to me (not 2 hrs worth admittedly) I now type into a word doc and copy/paste to the post when I'm done. I seem to remember my downfall was clicking on a link in the preview screen - "Back" did not work as expected.:wallbash:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Cracking report as usual mate. Shame about the weather but at least you got out everyday, thats the main thing.

Lovely pollack, strange how different the months can be (going on the past trips). Your right, if the weather had been better im sure you would have hit some 20lb pollack.......no doubt about that at all, maybe a few better coalies amongst them?

So when are we going next year.....fancy a trip later on in the year. Time to rumble up Ove and get some proper "local" info.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Can't wait, im going to Rejkvic in 7 weeks time. Hopefully i will get some big pollack, coalies and cod as its a noted are for the. Would love to catch a Halibut aswell. Can i ask how many lures you took over, and which were best? I keep buying pirks and big leadheaded shads, but have the issue of baggage weight on my mind.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't wait, im going to Rejkvic in 7 weeks time. Hopefully i will get some big pollack, coalies and cod as its a noted are for the. Would love to catch a Halibut aswell. Can i ask how many lures you took over, and which were best? I keep buying pirks and big leadheaded shads, but have the issue of baggage weight on my mind.
:) Hi bass-ic. I'm not sure about where you are going. Is it Reykjavik in iceland you are going to. We were limited to 20kgs of luggage for Norway. Pirk colours didn't really come into the frame much. Most of the fish we caught all fell to the hokkai rigs. Although we did do damage with the pirks, i'd say it was a 65-35 split in favour of hokkai. We tried bait also but didn't catch anything on it.
I don't know if iceland is renowned for big fish so big leadheads and giant pirks might be the wrong way to go. Best to start a new thread on iceland and ask for advice. There's bound to be a few guys on the forum who have been before.:)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Now thats a proper wee harbour or whatever you boating people call it. Much easier to get around than before. Unless the tide is ripping up robbiegans!!! (spelling)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Lobsterkid,

Interesting report - shame that the weather made life difficult for you and the fish were not generally playing ball.

I had 4 English guys out with me on the ocean both the sat. and sun. that you were here, although with 25 tons of boat we suffered less from the weather than you did. Still, its my impression that there was fewer fish around than I expected.

They still did reasonably well, taking fish to 16lbs (Ling), with plenty of coalfish and pollack and some haddock to 7.5lbs, but we were lacking the odd decent cod which I expected and the numbers were a bit down also (mind you we were plagued with 2-4lb coalfish). I still think that much of the fish at this particular time are involved in spawning (albeit at the end of it) and it was upsetting the fishing still. Many of the fish we took were full of roe or "overmature".

We were south of you, and you would have seen my boat under the Rognesund bridge on your way to hellesøy. Its the big bridge that goes in a right hand arc about 25 minutes from hellesøy.

We also tried a few deep water marks on the inside on monday, but but they did not produce anything significant - its way too late for the big Ling as I have said to you in earlier mails (my dad did his 21.5kg Ling with me on the first day of march, my brothers PB with me (45.5LB) was done in first week of march, and the day I did 550lb og Ling and mixed fish (including 2x 40lbers) was in the middle of Feb. Still, at that time of the year the weather can be brutal, and small boat fishing is likely to be blown off under such conditions.

If you want the cod with more settled weather then late July and August is possibly the time for you guys, although late spring and autumn are also good times (autumn = more unsettled weather).

Strange you did not get much action on the bait, we got through 100 mackrel and 2 salmon (bait) in the 2.45 days fishing and its rare for us to do too much pirking.

Anyway, hope you get better luck next time. One of these trips you will do a 30lb if not a 40lb cod - keep plugging away. :)

Regards,

kevin

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:) Hi kevin, good to hear from you. I know the very bridge you are talking about.
Very unusal to have a bridge with such a distinct curve both horizontal and vertical at the same time.
I think you are 100% spot on about the cod also.
The inside area was completly devoid of cod except the odd red one.
A sure sign that they are still sorting out their yearly nuptials.
Most of the pollack that had roe in them still looked immature, with the **** fish showing no signs of milt would suggest they still had a few weeks to go.
One of the tusk had a large bag of roe which would suggest they are also still spawning.
What did worry me was the amount of inshore netting which was going on around the inside of the islands.
There were nets every where.:schmoll:
We even had to cut short a drift as a netter crossed our drift while shooting it's net.
Having watched one boat pull it's net. We soon realised these guys were fishing for Monk as that was all he seemed to be catching.
Some biggies to, with one having a head about 2ft across being pulled up.
Hopefully they won't do too much damage cod wise.:g:
Weather wise, conditions were appaling to say the least.
I doubt if you could have fished it yourself most of the time, with 2-3m waves being the average. Without doubt the worst conditions i have ever seen.
The last day we kept around 70lb of fish and returned around 40lb in under 3 hrs.
Had we got out there for the week, it could have been incredible fishing.
Still there is always next year as they say.:)

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
hi Lobsterkid,
great reading your report,

its sounds like you all had a great time even if the weather wasnt on your side most days.

some nice sized fish all the same, bung me in yer suitcase next time lol.. that trip would have been brilliant.

great pics too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi bud great story:clap3: not sure i can add much more to that apart from a few more pics not many though not quite sure how to do it yet.and oh yeh martyboy polish up that cup for me will look good in my trophy cabinet hehe

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
hi bud great story:clap3: not sure i can add much more to that apart from a few more pics not many though not quite sure how to do it yet.and oh yeh martyboy polish up that cup for me will look good in my trophy cabinet hehe
Enjoy it while you can........i'll be back soon:bicycle: :1a: :1a: :1a:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
:) Bring it on boy. And bring F1fer with you so he can watch us kick your butt.:)
just noticed this post. a wee bit delayed ... :)
if im fishing , just give me the cup as im sure i would win anyway :clap2: .
even if it was beginners luck lol.

Andy.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:) Just a quick update on the auld haunt.:)
Nipper with a few fish from last week.

One that didn't get away.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey Lobsterkid or others any specific techniques to catch an anglerfish?

Cheers to you all and tight lines :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
just noticed this post. a wee bit delayed ... :)
if im fishing , just give me the cup as im sure i would win anyway :clap2: .
even if it was beginners luck lol.

Andy.
Well keep in touch with lobsterkid........

But remember the boy is back next year!!!! The trophy will be back in its rightful home. Bring it on...........

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well keep in touch with lobsterkid........

But remember the boy is back next year!!!! The trophy will be back in its rightful home. Bring it on...........
:) Oh hey, remember you'll be a married man by then.
Have you been given the green light, or are you still to ask her.
Looking at 9th to 19th of May next year.:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts