World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alreet guys

I've noticed a couple of threads on here regarding norway trips so i'm assuming that a few of you have gone. I'm wondering if any of you have been lucky/unlucky enough to catch a wolf fish ? and did you ..

a) Turn to stone

b) Bludgeon it to death out of fear

c) Gingerly un-hook it and return it to the waters with the utmost of respect

Apparently they can be eaten, has anyone tried it ?

Also, although as a newbie I'm not planning on going there just yet, but out of curiosity what are the regulations regarding bringing cod back from norway, i can see the attraction of bringing back a couple of 30-40 + lb cod to be eaten at leisure back home, not withstanding the pleasure of landing such big fish

·
Registered
176 Posts
wolf fish taste better than cod just be carefull of their gnashers though they go through your fingers as though they wernt their lol dave

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wolf fish don't just taste better then cod. They taste a hell of a lot better then cod. Absolutely fab.

Officially you are allowed to 'export' fileted fish up to a maximum of 15 kilos per person. This law came in effect last year ( or was it already the year before? ). I said officially, because allthough the Norwegian set a maximum by law, they neglected to at the same time also define a suitable sanction in case you exceed that maximum. Because of this, customs didnt really know what to do when they caught someone and as a result just did nothing.
I am not sure if this is still the case, but judging from the *enormous* amounts I see the Germans take home each year I doubt if things have changed.

Ps. Like mentioned here before, do not get your hands too close to a live wolf fish. There have even been cases of shattered wrists as a result from a bite. Their bite strength is enormous. Use a gaf and either kill the fish immediately ( as should be done with any fish that is meant to be taken) or cut the line while the beast is still in the water.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The wolf is one of the best fish to eat that we have here in Norway, and as jax says, keep your fingers,toes,wrists,head away from the mouth. It crushes crabs, mousels etc for a living.

When it comes to the 15kg filet rule, its still like jax says. The reason for this law is to awoid that turist take out hundreds of kiloes... So i think the law is good. It means that the people that fish only for food dont come and the people that fish for the sport and the pleasure comes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Rønsingen;665153 said:
The wolf is one of the best fish to eat that we have here in Norway, and as jax says, keep your fingers,toes,wrists,head away from the mouth. It crushes crabs, mousels etc for a living.
I`m just wondering... Seeming as you have a lot of experience with the wolf fish... Have you ever caught one?:bangin:

Oz

·
Registered
165 Posts
I`m just wondering... Seeming as you have a lot of experience with the wolf fish... Have you ever caught one?:bangin:

Oz
Prehe! I didnt tell them howe to catch one, just to keep their fingers away when they do :secret: And no i havent caught one, but im not after a tiny litle one like the one you caught :boxing:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Here's a nice picture of the business end of a wolf.

Note the nice molars in the back of the mouth.

This pic is from my last trip to norway, a week or two ago. I will write a nice report in the Europe topic soon.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Here's a nice picture of the business end of a wolf.

Note the nice molars in the back of the mouth.

This pic is from my last trip to norway, a week or two ago. I will write a nice report in the Europe topic soon.
Leuk beessie :clap3::clap3::clap3:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts