World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it might of already been posted!!! BUT it seems a certain police force in north wales has took it as a mision to target any vehicle towing ANYTHING, i have to say in theory i FULLY AGREE with this,BUT it raises a question? WHO IF ANYONE out of the police force are FULLY QUALIFIED to use the equipment given to them,I/E NOSE WEIGHT metres,a one day play with them does NOT make anyone a MASTER of them,given that the BACK AXLE WEIGHT also comes into the maths,WHAT AND HOW do you use as a graph when a lot of tow vehicles use ADJ SUSPENSION,what this means is that if you set off with the correct nose weight and for some reason its shifted AND you get a PULL,do you stand the fine/points or do you you ask politely,SIR i have fully ADJ suspension,would you mind me re-setting it and re-weigh the nose,THE ANSWER from the said police force (on the way to barmouth from the west-mids)is NO they dont do that,ME THINKS A LOT OF CROWN COURT CASES as this isnt right!!! if they pull you and your boat/caravan/trailer and do you on nose weight take it to crown court,the local police watched a video showing them how to use this new equipment,IS THIS THE NEW LAW,.........I DONT THIK SO,,,,,,,,,FIGHT THE CASE thats if it happens to you:yucky: :yucky: :secret:

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Don't know if I can fully explain this but I'll try. Providing the towed vehicle does not exceed 85% of the unladen weight of the towing vehicle you should be OK, and most caravans/trailers will be manufactured so that unladen they are balanced correctly and are suitable for the majority of vehicles. Your car handbook will tell you what the unladen weight of your towing vehicle is. Most trailers will be well within 85% anyway.

When loading the towed vehicle always place the load over the axle, if you do that you have nothing to fear from roadside checks from the police with regards to nose weight. If they suspect a towed vehicle is badly loaded with the weight on the front, or even the rear, they will pull you and check. Bearing in mind that even if you have adjustable suspension, this will only adjust the ride height but the towbar will still only be able to take so much weight, as will the chassis it's attached to, that is where the danger lies! :)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Its a curious thing, the 85% bit. Not disagreeing with it, understand it fully... but... the handbook for my discovery quotes... unbraked trailer maximum, 750kg (fair enough thats a legal thin any way) fully braked maximum 4500Kg, that almost double the weight of the discovery. So whats the legal standpoint there??. is the 85% a flat thing regardless of vehicle?? just wondering thats all

·
Registered
513 Posts
The 85% thing was just something the caravaners came up with, as a sensible and easily manageable recomended safe load to tow behind a car.
It's a good recomendation for caravaners or boaters who could be covering considerable distances, and who are not too familiar with towing.
Although the max towing limit of your disco is 4.5 T [I thought it was 3.5 T] you would not want to go very far with that kind of load.
But at 85% it would be stress free.
Rgds

·
Registered
155 Posts
whereabouts are they doing this weight check job? Which police force is it? I will be towing a boat down there fairly soon so it would be nice to be prepared for a visit from N. Wales's finest, and then we can have a discussion on the merits of sufficient nose weight and the very real dangers of a light hitch! Must make sure everything complies first though :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Doesn't surprise me, they like to charge you the £60 entrance fee as well, O and the bonus 3 points, North Wales has the highest number of speed camera's per head Pop in the country, I counted 13 on one trip to Pwhelli 2 years ago. Remember this is the Police force that speed checked the RAC Rally team !!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
If the Police in North Wales put 1% of the effort and resources into other crime that they do into traffic offences it would be the safest place to live in the world.

Best thing is we have just had a huge increase on our Poll Tax to pay for the Police, Wish they had the courtesy to ask first, I think 99.99999999999999% of the answers would have been a NO.

I feel kind of sorry in a way for the "bobby on the beat", not that we see them very often, as the policy comes down from the top. Interesting that the top cop's daughter was clocked speeding two nights running and her case was referred to the CPS, not the normal letter job, pay up and 6 points. They thought it in the public interest not to prosecute strangely!

If you want the Police round here these days you don't dial 999 anymore, you get the car out and do 34 in a 30 zone, guaranteed to get their attention far quicker.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Although the max towing limit of your disco is 4.5 T [I thought it was 3.5 T] you would not want to go very far with that kind of load.

Rgds
I'd imagine It would take a while to get there as well with that load! Have towed a little over 3ton with it a couple of times - small excavator on trailer, and it still pulled amazingly well though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts