World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday saw 5 of us travel to Ramsgate for a day out wrecking with Dave on ‘Excel’.The day dawned bright with very little wind and I could feel we were going to have a decent day.Ron,Steve,John,Paul and myself were the crew.

Dave met us on the quay around 8.15am and we were soon underway.

Dave explained we never needed to use ‘Flash’ rigs.Sinple cod feathers with a Pirk attached or a double American snap swivel rig with a shad attached was the way to go.We was soon on the first wreck and fish were coming aboard from the first drift…that was the way it stayed.We fished several wrecks, not wanting to empty any particular wreck,Dave likes to rotate the wrecks he fishes so as to keep a healthy stock on each wreck.We even fished a couple of wrecks Dave hadn’t tried before, plotting them as we went and we caught well on all of them.

This was ‘Hardcore fishing’ ,tackle losses were high but the effort was worth it. It didn’t matter what you sent down to the fish either. No need to worry if it was a ‘Twin tailed tiger gizmo in orange’ just get ‘something’ on the end of your line and send it down.

Dave certainly knows his stuff and worked tirelessly throughout the day, netting, unhooking fish and getting the boat back up the tide as quickly as possible to start the next drift.

We arrived back in the marina around 7.15pm and with the catch still needing to be filleted it was going to be a long day!

If you want to go for a boat ride on a big flash new boat or a ‘Jollyup’ then look elsewhere BUT if you want to catch fish and plenty of them, then Dave is your man.

Thanks Dave it was a pleasure and we will certainly be having future trips out with you.

Me with a hook up of three

Ron and a gurnard

Me, Ron, Paul, John and Steve

Dave Top skipper of EXCEL.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Fantastic day out, and I have cod back in the freezer.

The first time I have been wrecking. I will go again. Steve advised me before we started that if I don't lose gear then I'm not doing it right. I was doing it right and said buy buy to many perks and shads. Well done Ron on the biggest fish, you are obviously lucky.

In the main cod and more cod with quite a few pout thrown in, a few mackerel, Ron had a gurnard and I managed to tail hook a *&%&* dogfish.

Dave is a good skipper with a pleasant manner who made us feel welcome and worked damn hard. The only break he had was steaming between the different wreaks.

I took a few pics. Shame the camera is playing up.

Steve of Dominator - a happy chap nice to see him as a relaxed punter

Ron and Pablo getting dirty - nice gloves

The serious business of filleting - I tried to grab the ones done by Ron

Oh Yes Cod for tea.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Pablo,

Great report & lucky to get such a calm day, Sounds like a strong back was required pumping them fish up. Water looked a bit clearer than our local patch.

Crew were a motley bunch in the pic & i did a double take when the names were given (John Paul) @#ck it i thought the Pope was with you, i missed the comma! then realised Ron wouldn't allow just anybody to fish with him!

Well done.

John.

G

·
nice one paul,

i'm gutted i couldn't go mate.poxy induction at my new job which was what can i say....different!!!i gotta change the way i've worked big style for the last 20 years!:doh:

anyway enough of that.glad u had a good day out mate.

·
Registered
985 Posts
brilliant,that looks like a good days fishing.it dont get much better than when a bunch of mates get together for a day out on a boat....excellent.

·
Registered
710 Posts
well done chaps and very nice report keep em comming :laugh:

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Top fishing. Dave.... Pleasant manner..PMSL!:eek:hmy::kissing:

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice one paul,

i'm gutted i couldn't go mate.poxy induction at my new job which was what can i say....different!!!i gotta change the way i've worked big style for the last 20 years!:doh:

anyway enough of that.glad u had a good day out mate.

shame you could,nt make it bud.....will be booking again so i,ll keep you posted

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Change yer job, Bigfoot. You`ll find the world a sunnier place . . .
Wont! I love it that you pay my wages :) :busted_co

·
Wind Up Merchant
5,985 Posts
mmmm i could just eat a bit of cod now ,lol, well done looks like a great day!!!:drunk:

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Monday saw 5 of us travel to Ramsgate for a day out wrecking with Dave on ‘Excel’.The day dawned bright with very little wind and I could feel we were going to have a decent day.Ron,Steve,John,Paul and myself were the crew.

Dave met us on the quay around 8.15am and we were soon underway.

Dave explained we never needed to use ‘Flash’ rigs.Sinple cod feathers with a Pirk attached or a double American snap swivel rig with a shad attached was the way to go.We was soon on the first wreck and fish were coming aboard from the first drift…that was the way it stayed.We fished several wrecks, not wanting to empty any particular wreck,Dave likes to rotate the wrecks he fishes so as to keep a healthy stock on each wreck.We even fished a couple of wrecks Dave hadn’t tried before, plotting them as we went and we caught well on all of them.

This was ‘Hardcore fishing’ ,tackle losses were high but the effort was worth it. It didn’t matter what you sent down to the fish either. No need to worry if it was a ‘Twin tailed tiger gizmo in orange’ just get ‘something’ on the end of your line and send it down.

Dave certainly knows his stuff and worked tirelessly throughout the day, netting, unhooking fish and getting the boat back up the tide as quickly as possible to start the next drift.

We arrived back in the marina around 7.15pm and with the catch still needing to be filleted it was going to be a long day!

If you want to go for a boat ride on a big flash new boat or a ‘Jollyup’ then look elsewhere BUT if you want to catch fish and plenty of them, then Dave is your man.

Thanks Dave it was a pleasure and we will certainly be having future trips out with you.

Me with a hook up of three

Ron and a gurnard

Me, Ron, Paul, John and Steve

Dave Top skipper of EXCEL.

Another nice day with nice company,
Thanks chaps,
Dave.

kentcharterfishing.com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts