World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, after reaching my half century of lure caught bass in style nearly 4 weeks ago, the fishing has taken a bit of a downturn for me, starting when a return to the scene of my triumph resulted in another blank, 2 days later and the story was even worse when gale force winds stopped me from even getting out of the house :eek:.

This was followed by a break from lure fishing for a long awaited shark fishing trip to Cornwall. Now the trip has been cancelled each of the last 2 years due to bad weather, and though we finally managed to get down there this time, the rough weather of the previous week resulted in less than perfect water clarity and we didn’t see so much as a fin :frown:, despite this the long journey was still worth it for the craic with the lads. After a relaxing weekend away with the family at the Hafan y Mor caravan park in Pwllheli, to recharge the batteries, I was keen to get back out there on the lures again, with 2 sessions planned for last week.

First off last Tuesday was a session fishing down to low and back up the first hour of the flood, and though it was raining a little when I arrived it was forecast the dry up later. The mark was also sheltered from the light Northerly winds, so conditions looked perfect, but as I know that doesn’t always guarantee bass :rolleyes:. Despite me thrashing the water to a foam for almost 5 hours, another blank inevitably followed :thumbsdown:. I wasn’t about to let that put me off though and last Thursday night I was out there again.

This time a return to fresh south westerly winds forced me to fish a backup mark and I wasn’t so lucky with the rain either, as a good 2 thirds of the 4 hour session was spent casting lures head on into a heavy drizzle. A bass or two would have made up for the less than pleasant conditions, but once more the fishing gods obviously weren’t smiling down on me, resulting in my 4th consecutive blank :mad:.

To bring my last few weeks completely up to date I fished the latest club match on Sunday evening, when 6 of us turned up to brave the windy conditions at Llanfairfechan and for some it was a busy night. After a hard fought match John Harrison’s first ever thornback, along with his 10 best dogs, gave him victory with a bag weight of 9.50kg, for his second consecutive match win! :rofl: In 2nd place was John Jones with 9 dogs, another thornback and a solitary whiting for 8.44kg and in 3rd was Ieuan with 10 dogs for 7.29kg. The league leader Glyn finished 4th, with 10 dogs for 7.15kg, Steve Owen was 5th with 9 dogs for 6.74kg and my Llanfair jinx struck once again, as despite the injured Steve A putting in a guest appearance to cheer us on, and rubbing my rod to bring me luck :laugh:, I still trailed in a distant last, with 5 dogs for 3.69kg :cry:.

So it’s back on the lures for me tonight, but with a very unsettled week ahead I’m not exactly hopeful of seeing any more bass for the remainder of the season. He who dares though and there could just be a big autumn girl out there waiting for me :wink:.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Don't give up on bass on the lures just yet Andy.I think they will be hitting lures well into November . Reading in the paper today next few days temperature above average coupled with the heat wave June/July will keep the sea temperature slightly above normal as water retains heat better . I'm waiting for a window in this blustery wind to venture out at a moments notice

Reactions: andy1965

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not giving up just yet Gareth but with only 1 bass ever in November and barely half a dozen in October before now, I'm deep into injury time :BigGrin:. Having said that it was around this time last year that I hooked and lost potentially the biggest bass I've ever had the good fortune to cross paths with.

The wind has dropped off nicely here now but unfortunately it's still forecast fresh at my 2 potential marks for tonight, I'm not a fan of big tides either but the big girls still gotta eat, so all being well the fishing gods will smile down on me and I'll find some action :wink:.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
C'mon, we can't have this despondency! If you were me then you could be cos I don't have the obvious skill you've demonstrated over both this and last year. Malcolm reckons that this year is the best he can remember for bass ever so I'd say there's a very good chance for bass well towards the year's end. I've realised that my lure failure is due to having to stay in the same spot chucking out the hooked things, with some regular changes, that I'm obviously frightening everything away with the continuous splashing! There is the prospect of finding a spot somewhere where I can chuck out in all directions and distances but frankly it got a bit pointless! As I couldn't see why I was casting where and how!
You on the other hand have built up your spots and know distances and directions - as you've proved so effectively!

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't give up on bass on the lures just yet Andy.I think they will be hitting lures well into November . Reading in the paper today next few days temperature above average coupled with the heat wave June/July will keep the sea temperature slightly above normal as water retains heat better . I'm waiting for a window in this blustery wind to venture out at a moments notice
Interestingly Gareth the water temperature on Tuesday night was 14.1˚C, down from 15.6˚C just a week before :eek:, which I'm using as the perfect excuse for yet another blank :redface:.

I'm hoping for tonight that the warm weather of the last few days has given it a boost, or at the very least arrested the plunge to the point where the bass head off to warmer climes

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
water temps are up, but only by half a degree on a 25 year average, but that is not the problem,the total collapse of inshore mackerel arrival and really bad weather resulting in onshore winds and coloured water is what has ruined the bass lure fishing season around here.........if you fish the straits/swellies then they are there feeding on the resident small pollock and can be caught on live pollock and lures but elsewhere its hard work.
Andy I am shocked that you have only ever had one bass in November and 6 in October.......

are you just fishing the same spring marks ?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm not giving up just yet Gareth but with only 1 bass ever in November and barely half a dozen in October before now, I'm deep into injury time :BigGrin:. Having said that it was around this time last year that I hooked and lost potentially the biggest bass I've ever had the good fortune to cross paths with.

The wind has dropped off nicely here now but unfortunately it's still forecast fresh at my 2 potential marks for tonight, I'm not a fan of big tides either but the big girls still gotta eat, so all being well the fishing gods will smile down on me and I'll find some action :wink:.
Hi matey,
Always remember Manchester United and “Fergie Time” scoring in the last minute of injury time!

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
water temps are up, but only by half a degree on a 25 year average, but that is not the problem,the total collapse of inshore mackerel arrival and really bad weather resulting in onshore winds and coloured water is what has ruined the bass lure fishing season around here........?
Though I fished a different mark last night, it wasn't that far from where I fished on Tuesday and the water temperature was down again, to 12.4˚C :eek:.

It was probably a localised cold spot but I can't help being worried about a drop of over 2˚C in 9 days :veryconfused:.

.if you fish the straits/swellies then they are there feeding on the resident small pollock and can be caught on live pollock and lures but elsewhere its hard work.
Can being the operative word :rolleyes:, unfortunately I can vouch for the fact that it's also hard work there :(.

Andy I am shocked that you have only ever had one bass in November and 6 in October.......

are you just fishing the same spring marks ?
I usually fish different marks to those I fish in the spring but after a few blanks I can't help going back to my old haunts :oops:, I do tend to get the odd bass there though when I've struggled elsewhere.

Hi matey,
Always remember Manchester United and “Fergie Time” scoring in the last minute of injury time!
Cheers for the encouragement :wink: but haven't you heard? Fergie time is ancient history now, as a City fan myself, and going by recent history it's now called Pep time :laugh:.

Reactions: Baldie

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Though I fished a different mark last night, it wasn't that far from where I fished on Tuesday and the water temperature was down again, to 12.4˚C :eek:.

It was probably a localised cold spot but I can't help being worried about a drop of over 2˚C in 9 days :veryconfused:.

Can being the operative word :rolleyes:, unfortunately I can vouch for the fact that it's also hard work there :(.

I usually fish different marks to those I fish in the spring but after a few blanks I can't help going back to my old haunts :oops:, I do tend to get the odd bass there though when I've struggled elsewhere.

Cheers for the encouragement :wink: but haven't you heard? Fergie time is ancient history now, as a City fan myself, and going by recent history it's now called Pep time :laugh:.
More like pooh time :D

Fergie time never dies

IMG_4498.PNG

On a serious note mate u always pull a clonker out after a few blanks so keep going and you'll be rowing about fish length to weight with Padders in no time :roflpuke::roflpuke:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

Whoa, I am a city fan! But we usually win it with 3+ goals in the first half :)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Never won the the treble, as I don’t play football but won a few sea matches, sounds like I hit a raw nerve:)

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Well done Andy. Good to hear of thornies showing there.

Reactions: andy1965

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
No worries matey, hope you have some good results over the coming winter

1 - 17 of 17 Posts