World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sadly, after reaching my half century of lure caught bass in style nearly 4 weeks ago, the fishing has taken a bit of a downturn for me, starting when a return to the scene of my triumph resulted in another blank, 2 days later and the story was even worse when gale force winds stopped me from even getting out of the house :eek:.

This was followed by a break from lure fishing for a long awaited shark fishing trip to Cornwall. Now the trip has been cancelled each of the last 2 years due to bad weather, and though we finally managed to get down there this time, the rough weather of the previous week resulted in less than perfect water clarity and we didn’t see so much as a fin :frown:, despite this the long journey was still worth it for the craic with the lads. After a relaxing weekend away with the family at the Hafan y Mor caravan park in Pwllheli, to recharge the batteries, I was keen to get back out there on the lures again, with 2 sessions planned for last week.

First off last Tuesday was a session fishing down to low and back up the first hour of the flood, and though it was raining a little when I arrived it was forecast the dry up later. The mark was also sheltered from the light Northerly winds, so conditions looked perfect, but as I know that doesn’t always guarantee bass :rolleyes:. Despite me thrashing the water to a foam for almost 5 hours, another blank inevitably followed :thumbsdown:. I wasn’t about to let that put me off though and last Thursday night I was out there again.

This time a return to fresh south westerly winds forced me to fish a backup mark and I wasn’t so lucky with the rain either, as a good 2 thirds of the 4 hour session was spent casting lures head on into a heavy drizzle. A bass or two would have made up for the less than pleasant conditions, but once more the fishing gods obviously weren’t smiling down on me, resulting in my 4th consecutive blank :mad:.

To bring my last few weeks completely up to date I fished the latest club match on Sunday evening, when 6 of us turned up to brave the windy conditions at Llanfairfechan and for some it was a busy night. After a hard fought match John Harrison’s first ever thornback, along with his 10 best dogs, gave him victory with a bag weight of 9.50kg, for his second consecutive match win! :rofl: In 2nd place was John Jones with 9 dogs, another thornback and a solitary whiting for 8.44kg and in 3rd was Ieuan with 10 dogs for 7.29kg. The league leader Glyn finished 4th, with 10 dogs for 7.15kg, Steve Owen was 5th with 9 dogs for 6.74kg and my Llanfair jinx struck once again, as despite the injured Steve A (aka Goldenb***s) putting in a guest appearance to cheer us on, and rubbing my rod to bring me luck :laugh:, I still trailed in a distant last, with 5 dogs for 3.69kg :cry:.

So it’s back on the lures for me tonight, but with a very unsettled week ahead I’m not exactly hopeful of seeing any more bass for the remainder of the season. He who dares though and there could just be a big autumn girl out there waiting for me :wink:.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Good luck Andy for tonight......... been a difficult few weeks around here for us with the weather, but hopefully will manage another few to this years tally.

Dare I say I’m even starting to look at my beach gear and that not had any use since December 2016!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Been a very odd season for some of us mate!!..I don't even feel confident when I go out now!! iv'e been looking at my bait rod too??..oh dear!! I must resist!!!...heeeelp!!!:D:D...lovely report mate...oly...there's still time,i keep saying in my bonce!!!:confused2:..

·
Registered
8,507 Posts
Head up Andy, that lunker is out there and it might just have your name on it. One fish for me in seven trips, so not a great start to October confidence shot just going because I'm supposed to lol

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Confidence shot just going because I'm supposed to lol
Same here SJ :D.

1 bass in 6 sessions and 4 consecutive blanks, but while the catch reports are still coming in, I just have to keep on trying :rolleyess:.

·
Registered
8,507 Posts
I have probably caught 50 bass this season, but NOT ONE has been in size. I couldn't have kept one even if I had wanted to. My only decent fish (just over 4lb) has come to bait. October is here though so hope remains.
My first season was like this it gets better

1 - 9 of 9 Posts