World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A strange thing happened to me and mrs c on the way home last night.

We were approached by a very smartly dressed woman claiming to be a phsyciatric nurse saying she was going to have to walk quickly to the station to catch a train. At first I though she was going to ask for a lift as the station was about a mole away and we were en route to the car park. She then said that she was a couple of quid short and that the kind
black man sitting in a car on the opposite side of the road had already given her a quid. I smelt a rat and was constantly looking around for someone to come running out of the shadows. Fortunately that never happened and I just hold her I had no money on me and we went on our way. I looked back to see her getting into the car with the black guy and a couple of young girls. She wasn't walking anywhere and it was a scam. Just think, get a couple of quid of off a hundred people and that's not a bad nights work. Some people would have probably handed over a fiver without thinking about it. So if you're in the Colchester area be vigilant. I expect that they would probably be working in other places too.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Seems quite alot of work for a quid, how many people she going to ask before something reasonable?
I doubt anyone will give a fiver, especially in Colchester. They were probably trying to find money to pay for the extortionate parking prices up there!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Seems quite alot of work for a quid, how many people she going to ask before something reasonable?
I doubt anyone will give a fiver, especially in Colchester. They were probably trying to find money to pay for the extortionate parking prices up there!
If she was after money for parking in Colchester she would need to be doing a bank job !!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Someones been watching too much of the BBC's 'The Real hustle'.

That program although exposing the scams, gives people too many ideas on how to scam.
Exactly my thoughts, I won't have it on in my house, if you ask me the programming executive needs locking up.

Whilst it masquerades as providing "useful" information, I have always thought it provides more useful "how too pull off a scam" directions

eejitts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Similar thing happened to me in Nettos car park in Witham a couple of weeks ago,
The well dressed young man asked for £1 as he was short of that amount for his taxi fare home.
When asked where he lived he said Maldon Road area, I replied I go right down the Maldon road I will give you a lift.
He of course refused my offer, saying that he was nervous of accepting lifts from strangers........I'm retired and he was approx miid 20s..????.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Same thing happened to me today at southend. Except this was for train fare and he had bandaged leg. Young man in his 20`s with ginger hair and freckles.

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
I have had it loads of times in petrol stations, asking for a couple of quid, usually to get to the school to collect the kids or some other sob story. The last time i heard the story the guy at the till was waving at me, not to give any money away, as the car that had run out of fuel was his, and nothing to do with the beggar.
I have also heard of beggers geting out of taxis in the morning at the best begging spots!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Yeh, think I've seen this bloke...does he walk with a lisp and carry a black handled walking stick?

What a load of *******s...
pmsl....walk with a lisp..you forgot to say he spoke with a limp!!!!!

sorry bud gotta mock the english and you boys do make my job soooooo easy lol

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Some silly short blonde tart with sunglasses came up to me in Sainsbury's carpark in Ashford about a month ago with a similar story. Some idiot in a BMW gave her some money. Looked like a heroin addict and/or drunkard, hence the sunglasses.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
similar to the coloured bloke in the BMW who goes psst, psst! mate, ive got these watches from work theyre worth £200, i only want £40 for them. i havent got 40 quid says me, how much you got? says he. 'Nothing' I reply. so far ive met him twice, no watches bought. if something sounds to good to be true or a sob story then as far as im concerned its a scam

·
Registered
473 Posts
This story worries me a lot, I am a dual qualified nurse and i am the manager of a community mental health team. Any attempt at impersanating a psychiatric nurse is both illegal and potentially dangerous,plus in this case bl--dy annoying as our ability to do our job is based on trust.I can confirm that any nurse on duty would always carry official identification so if anyone ever tries to pass themselves off as a nurse, ask for their I.D. Being on duty without official I.D. is a disciplinary offence in itself so never take any excuses. I would also not expect any of my staff to run out of money on duty as this would not be an example of proffesional planning would it? Sorry if this seems an over-reaction but if this ever happens to anyone again report it to the police.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.