World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had an e-mail back from Silva, who are the distributors/agents for Lowrance in UK, my Lowrance FishEasy2 went "kaputt" after about 40 hrs of use, & was less than 2 years old!:nonono:
Silva offered me a "service exchange" of a "FishEasy 2ST" for £124.95! now I'm not sure how much they cost brand spanking, but with MarineScene selling the Garmin 140 for less than £90, I reckon that £124.95 aint much of a "service exchange" bargain!:g:
This means that Lowrance/Eagle wont get any more of my custom, & Silva have tarred themselves with the same brush now!:nono:
blueskip

15,082 Posts
Just had an e-mail back from Silva, who are the distributors/agents for Lowrance in UK, my Lowrance FishEasy2 went "kaputt" after about 40 hrs of use, & was less than 2 years old!:nonono:
Silva offered me a "service exchange" of a "FishEasy 2ST" for £124.95! now I'm not sure how much they cost brand spanking, but with MarineScene selling the Garmin 140 for less than £90, I reckon that £124.95 aint much of a "service exchange" bargain!:g:
This means that Lowrance/Eagle wont get any more of my custom, & Silva have tarred themselves with the same brush now!:nono:
blueskip

What do you expect?....This is England :)

Ron

·
Registered
160 Posts
How long was the original warrenty?

If the warrenty is for 2 years then they have to offer yor a replacement if yours is unfixable.

If they no longer make your current model then they will have to offer you the one that is the closest fit in performance and features for free.

So check the warrenty.

i have a contact for a repairs place that fixed my navman for £50 which was a bargain compared with a replacement colour chart plotter at the time. They charge a £15 inspection fee, they then give you a full break down of what the costs would be to repair, if you decide to go ahead with the repair you dont pay the £15. A very good service, they turned my plotter round in a week.

If you want the detailspm me and i will dig it out for you.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you expect?....This is England :)

Ron
You cynical old sod you, whatever happened to "Made in England" that used to count for something, now we get "Jap Crap", "Chinese Crud", "Taiwanese Trash"
& for US, now read U/S.
I am going to buy a long ball of string, a heavy weight, & a tub of grease, & sling that out to check my depth, & if the string breaks at least I can take it back to Tesco's!:yeah:
blueskip

15,082 Posts
You cynical old sod you, whatever happened to "Made in England" that used to count for something, now we get "Jap Crap", "Chinese Crud", "Taiwanese Trash"
& for US, now read U/S.
I am going to buy a long ball of string, a heavy weight, & a tub of grease, & sling that out to check my depth, & if the string breaks at least I can take it back to Tesco's!:yeah:
blueskip
I dont think it matters where it's made,it's the aftersales service thats shocking!...It dont seem to matter what you buy,how much it is,manufacturers when youre living here just seem to be able to rub there hands of it and that's that.Saying that though,Standard Horizon seem very,very good when it comes to aftersales,I have nothing but praise for them...Oh and they offfer a 3yr no quibble warranty too.

Ron

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I still use a lead when I want to find out exactly what the bottom is, as far as I know no sounder is capable of telling you exactly what is under the boat.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Following on from PM Blueskip is this any use to you

Click here

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
It seems to be the way of the world these days.
2 years ago my garmin gps 235 packed up after it got wet. It was out of garantee but garmin replaced the internals of the unit free of charge -fantastic service.
This year my back-up handheld (also garmin) packed up for no apparent reason. It was out of garantee but had less than 10 hours of use - £59.35 for repair. That unit cost me £5.95/hour for the first 10 hours use!!!!
Garmins aftersales service seems to have taken a nose dive - I hear that they are concentrating on road GPS units and no longer give a toss about their marine customers.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
& for US, now read U/S.
blueskip

Or you could tie the 'Lowrance fish easy' to the string and save the cost of a lead:idea:

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
& for US, now read U/S.
blueskip
Well at least you wont have a problem with Tesco they have a no quibble policy

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well at least you wont have a problem with Tesco they have a no quibble policy
Shame they dont sell marine electronic gear, probably thats why they made a huge profit in 2006, staying away from trouble.;)
I had an e-mail from "Servicewarehouse" who said "sorry you had no satisfaction from Silva, but due to the policy of Lowrance/Eagle on spare parts, we are unable to offer any further help", now whats that all about? because it seems they undertake repairs of almost every other electronics manufacturer, curiouser & curiouser?:g:
So its good old PRS Comms again, I should have sent it to them straight away, if its trashed, they sling it in the bin for you!:yeah:
blueskip

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you have no luck getting it repaired send me a PM and I'll see if there is anything I can do... I can't say anything publically on the matter since it's a conflict of interest.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Have to say that Silva have always been fantastic with me.
I've had a couple of problems with a sonar and a plotter, the first they replaced with a reconditioned model and the second they swapped straight away for a new model.
On a few occasions I've needed one or two spares, just small things like o rings and ratchet washers and they've supplied them, same day, no charge.
Great service.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have to say that Silva have always been fantastic with me.
I've had a couple of problems with a sonar and a plotter, the first they replaced with a reconditioned model and the second they swapped straight away for a new model.
On a few occasions I've needed one or two spares, just small things like o rings and ratchet washers and they've supplied them, same day, no charge.
Great service.
It seems that the problem only exists with Lowrance stuff, Silva dont have any spares for them, & dont have the facilities to carry out any repairs, it may be a clause in their franchise, which say's no repairing? Maybe its time they dumped Lowrance, or vice versa! They aint doing each other or themselves any favours like this!
blueskip

·
Registered
51 Posts
From the information I received today there will be significant changes regarding the servicing of Lowrance equipment from June/July.

Can't say more i'm afraid...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi Blueskip, all the stuff I'm talking about was Lowrance. they couldn't have been more helpfull.
Last time was just about 3 weeks ago!

·
Registered
196 Posts
From the information I received today there will be significant changes regarding the servicing of Lowrance equipment from June/July.

Can't say more i'm afraid...
Yes big changes for Lowrance and could explain the problems with service at the mo, should be sorted shortly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts