World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to Antrim coast yesterday to test out a new rod I got recently was greeted with a lovely surf on waterfoot beach With the north easterly blowing. While setting up I noticed weed amongst the surf but carried on first cast out five mins later was weed central It was pulling lead out of bottom. Reeled In after ten mins of first cast surprise surprise big clumps of weed on rig and line so casted out again This time the weed actually pulled the rig lead to the right so badly my cobra gt and reel fell on sand. So had enough after 20-30mins went to rock mark around the corner same outcome again so moved on again to the waterfoot pier same situation again with the added scent of stinking **** lol. Waste of trip but was gd to get out test the new rod akios airtorque first impression r brilliant

Tight lines Louis

3AA76F43-8E2C-402D-86F7-305C28EC25C5.jpeg

·
Registered
335 Posts
There’s really is nothing worse when you get weeded up sometimes a move of 50yds will see you weed free other times you can’t get shifted for it, best just to lack up and go home. Fished a beach in Cornwall a few years back and I was fishing 60lb braid straight through couldn’t hold bottom snd lost two rigs in two casts with the weed build up on the line.Turned the air blue and went home!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There’s really is nothing worse when you get weeded up sometimes a move of 50yds will see you weed free other times you can’t get shifted for it, best just to lack up and go home. Fished a beach in Cornwall a few years back and I was fishing 60lb braid straight through couldn’t hold bottom snd lost two rigs in two casts with the weed build up on the line.Turned the air blue and went home!
Was realy bad on the coast where I was unfishable basically . Could have fish for congers but didn’t bring that tackle with me lol

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Weed can be a nightmare sometimes it's best to pack up and head home. Better luck with the new rod on the next trip

Reactions: kingloudog

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
The dreaded weed:Oo:
When the seaweed is floating I cast short with 20lb mono no shock leader, I also stop the cast an keep the line as taunt as possible, this method does not allow a large bow of slack line to lay on the surface.
I aslo hold the rod high as I can an don't use a rodrest.

Slack line instantly catches floating weed an your bate before ye start, the taunt line an no shock leader greatly reduces the amount of weed caught on your line an can give ye 10 / 15 minutes before the inevitable:).

I don't use braid for owt else but spinning so don't know if beach braid users can stop the cast short without finger damage;)

Floating weed is a pain no matter what Lou, but it can be fished if you take these few basic steps.

Fed...:eeks:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dreaded weed:Oo:
When the seaweed is floating I cast short with 20lb mono no shock leader, I also stop the cast an keep the line as taunt as possible, this method does not allow a large bow of slack line to lay on the surface.
I aslo hold the rod high as I can an don't use a rodrest.

Slack line instantly catches floating weed an your bate before ye start, the taunt line an no shock leader greatly reduces the amount of weed caught on your line an can give ye 10 / 15 minutes before the inevitable:).

I don't use braid for owt else but spinning so don't know if beach braid users can stop the cast short without finger damage;)

Floating weed is a pain no matter what Lou, but it can be fished if you take these few basic steps.

Fed...:eeks:

Was a big pain in the arse lol fished multiple ways long distance mid distance then really close in the stuff was every where lol

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Aye Lou that's the point;)
The weed is everywhere an
the less line hitting the water an in it, the less there is to catch, believe me lol
I've fished the weed all over, ye either adopt or go home:cool2:

I ain't one for going home:whistling:

Mark...:inlove:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Did ye try the rocks at the swimming pool Marc ?;)

Mark...

Not sure where that is Mark, Sunday was only my second time up there. I'd the weekend from hell to be honest. Got 3/4 of the way there on sunday before realising I didnt pack my rod rest. Turned round and came home again. Went to dig fresh worms on sunday night and my spade broke. Went back up Benone on monday. The bottom screw on my rod rest was seized up so I couldn't attach the bar with the cups on. Spent about a hour trying to fix that. The next hour I spent playing with weed... by this time I knew it just wasnt meant to be, packed up and drove home in disgust. Lessons learnt and will try again next week:rolleyess:

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Damn Marc,
Sometimes the fishing Gods just work again ye, but 10/10 for the effort.
Your mad going all the way back for a rod rest:happy: The bait fork ? well that's a bummer, I've had it happen to me on a few occasions an learnt my lesson.
My local hardware shop on the Woodstock sells forks dirt cheap I was stuck once so thought I'd buy two an they would do rightly , hell I've still got one an Jonny took the head of the other an made me an all steel one.
Been a while since I bought a new bait fork but both forks came in at under a teener, for both like:BigGrin:

I'll PM ye the swimming pools location later on tonight when I get the laptop fired up:thumbsup:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Damn Marc,
Sometimes the fishing Gods just work again ye, but 10/10 for the effort.
Your mad going all the way back for a rod rest:happy: The bait fork ? well that's a bummer, I've had it happen to me on a few occasions an learnt my lesson.
My local hardware shop on the Woodstock sells forks dirt cheap I was stuck once so thought I'd buy two an they would do rightly , hell I've still got one an Jonny took the head of the other an made me an all steel one.
Been a while since I bought a new bait fork but both forks came in at under a teener, for both like:BigGrin:

I'll PM ye the swimming pools location later on tonight when I get the laptop fired up:thumbsup:

Sounds great!
Thanks Marc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts