World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I bought this lovely 19ft boat with an old engine last week.The boat is fine going to have all the electrics fitted next week. Now the engine I was told was serviced has a new impellor and was running before being stored a few months ago. Got the boat home gave it the once over checked it was pumping water through flush muffs ect.. Took it down to the harbour for a ten minute run around to see how she sat. Engine started and I trundled along the harbour wall, as i turned to go out i could smell something very hot and turned around, I could see lots of smoke from the engine so I turned it off. After my mate towed me back with his boat and tryed it again another friend said he could not see it pumping any water so home she went.
After we got her back off came all the panels and stripped down to the impellor. as I was told the impellor is new and ok. So we flushed all the pipes out and put it all back together and tried again, and it still is not pumping any water.

So if any of you have any ideas i would gladly listen.

Cheers guys
Kevin

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had the same problem a while ago, assuming you havent trashed the engine like i did, its probably the thermostat.

Mine had new impellor and pumped loads of water on the muffs but when in the water the flow was poor.

When the engine is on the muffs you force water into the leg at the pressure of your hose pipe, in the sea the only presure is created by the pump.

So i waould geuss thermostat assuming that the pipes didnt get blocked and the impellor is working

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Be carefull if it is your thermostat. If it's broken the water can bypass the cylinder head water passageways and still come out of the tell tale, fooling you into thinking all is okay. It is actully overheating though!
These are usually easy to replace depending on your motor. What is it?
When you take out the thermostat you can reverse flush it from the tsat hole to get rid of any debris that may be sucked in and blocking it. You can also flush it with the thermostat out as normal for a short period, but watch were the water goes. It will conk ot the motor if it gets on the plug leads.
Dave.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
He says the impeller's been replaced yet it's overheating...

Check the impeller.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
My impellor was replaced too but the tstat was stuck. It overheated!
Just passing on my experience.
Dave.
Sorry Dave, that wasn't a dig at you-more pointing out that some people will say anything to sell something.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I will look at the t-stat later, I just cant see how there is no water coming out as I have just stripped it all down and put the hose an both parts of the pipes and the water goes through. I might just send it of to be serviced. Does anyone know of anybody in the penwith that can service it for me. I forgot to mention its a Chrysler 30hp

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
was it SMOKE or a lot of steam mixed with smoke??those chryslers are a pain for water ingres through the head or water chanels in the head,even head gasket,that might explain the water telltail on muffs,(it would have blown the water out of the exhaust)but in the water there isnt enough pressure against compreshion to let the water circulate,hence a very hot motor,just a thought

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Thanks guys, I will look at the t-stat later, I just cant see how there is no water coming out as I have just stripped it all down and put the hose an both parts of the pipes and the water goes through. I might just send it of to be serviced. Does anyone know of anybody in the penwith that can service it for me. I forgot to mention its a Chrysler 30hp
Think hard and get a valuation on the Chrysler (expect about £25) The Chrysler engines were rubbish even when new and have very little value today. The fact it is labled as a Chrysler means that it is about 30 years old for a start, as the Chrysler brand O/B went belly up late 70's. It would be unwise to spend money on it.

Afishionado

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Just a thought, have you dropped the gearbox off the engine, the impeller is on top of it, There is a rubber tube type gasket that pushes on to a pipe inside he leg that delivers the water up to the engine head. Is the gasket in good order?

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Think hard and get a valuation on the Chrysler (expect about £25) The Chrysler engines were rubbish even when new and have very little value today. The fact it is labled as a Chrysler means that it is about 30 years old for a start, as the Chrysler brand O/B went belly up late 70's. It would be unwise to spend money on it.

Afishionado
Tell a girl that her huge diamond engagement ring was glass! you really know how to make someones day, that poor bloke has probably got the right "hump" now, that was his pride & joy that you called a pile of scrap!:roll1:
Have you ever thought about being a Samaritan? or better still a Relate counseller? the suicide & divorce rates would go sky high:rtfm:
blueskip

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Tell a girl that her huge diamond engagement ring was glass! you really know how to make someones day, that poor bloke has probably got the right "hump" now, that was his pride & joy that you called a pile of scrap!:roll1:
Have you ever thought about being a Samaritan? or better still a Relate counseller? the suicide & divorce rates would go sky high:rtfm:
blueskip

Or the guy could spend a lot of money chasing the fault from one end of the engine to the other, and the O/B would still not be up to much. I know I would rather know if I was trying to turn a silk purse into a sows ear before I went to a lot of trouble and expence.

Afishionado

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HI guys, Just to let you know engine fine now pumps water at last. Thanks for all the info specially to chrisp there wasn't a rubber flange on the pipe but I put one on and away she went so many thanks mate. I think its worth more than 25 quid now LOL.
Cheers guys

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
You a owe the guy £25, & a "pretty sorry":roll1: Well done Kev, now rub it in a bit more!:yeah:
blueskip

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
It's great you got it sorted and I am ssss.......ssoorr...worry? Erm no I mean ssso..sore? Yes that's I am ssssore....y ??

DAMN IT I'M SORRY, OK!!! :)0(

Still save your pennies to get a more up to date engine in the future.

Best of luck and have a great summer.

Afishionado

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Well done Fish!:clap:keep on taking the tablets!:yeah:
blueskip

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
HI guys, Just to let you know engine fine now pumps water at last. Thanks for all the info specially to chrisp there wasn't a rubber flange on the pipe but I put one on and away she went so many thanks mate. I think its worth more than 25 quid now LOL.
Cheers guys
Hi Kev

I have a workshop manual on Chrysler outboards, if you need any info give me a shout.

Dave
:secret:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts