World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After many months of planning and a canceld trip this time last year. I finally made it to sunny Hampshire, or is it still Dorset east of Bournemouth.
Either way It was most definitely SUNNY .... in fact the brightest and hottest so far this year.
A "Stinger" was my target for the trip but I only had one session to try for one. The morning tide on Sunday morning was the chosen time. Friday night, Saturday morning and the a few hours Saturday evening would be spent. after the hounds and Rays.
Baits were ordered and collected from Christchurch tackle. The owner Tom Bagnal ( the inventor of the locally used BAGNAL BAR rig ) was most helpful, sorting through three trays of fresh Southampton rag to sellect me 3lb of the huge worms. 14-16inch long and as thick as your thumb.These were exclusively for the "stingrays".
Most of the other bait I took down with me. Frozen and packed in lots of ice. Squid, Large Sandells, Crabs and Prawns
IMG_20210611_181614.jpg

Friday night HW at midnight saw me at my first mark at Barton on Sea.
IMG_20210611_194651.jpg IMG_1028.JPG
A slow start to the weekend but as long as I'm fishing I'm happy. 3 hours up and 2 down produce a few small hounds, smalleyed rays and ............................ yes your right a DOGFISH !!!! not as noticeably mark as our local once but equally annoying .

IMG_1031.JPG IMG_1032.JPG IMG_1034.JPG

Saturday morning was a visit to Milford near Hurst Castle ..... Temperatures soon rose and the crowds of beach goers arrived ... luckily they stayed away from where I was set up.
To be honest fishing during the day here wasn't the best choice. Strong tide rip and masses of weed IMG_1045.JPG made it really hard to fish and it was an almost inevitable blank for me.

IMG_1041.JPG

Having to get up early Sunday morning I had a short session back at Barton resulting in just the one Bass.

IMG_1027.JPG

Sunday morning I was up at 6am and sorting my gear and bait ready to hunt my first "Stinger"
A friendly local @smart201 and I have been in touch for a while and he has been immensely helpful with local info and advice. Thank you so much buddy, the info was brilliant.
At 8am we met and he took me to the mark he suggested.
What an intriguing mark it was. A funneling channel, a sandbar, mud banks and lightly broken ground. An ideal location for my hunt.
Bunches of 4 - 6 large rag at a time were baited up and once in the water, lasted all of 10 - 15mins before the crabs schoolies and micro black bream stripped the hooks bare. Nothing you can do but keep plugging away and hoping your target finds the bait before its gone.
I tried a few cast in different places but the results were the same. Cast out and watch the tip twitch away for a few minutes the stop signaling that the bait had all gone, so reel in and rebait.
Four hours of this and even though I switch to carb or squid in the hope of a hound and the worms were used up. In the baking sun, all the casting baiting and recasting had drained me despite taking on regular amounts of water.
Sadly it wasn't to be my day and I ended up with just a few miniature bass and bream.

Despite my disappointment I knew that catching one of the creatures on my first attempt would have been extremely lucky.
Undeterred, I'll be back for another hunt if not this year.... Definitely next.

Great experience, I learnt a lot and enjoyed every minute.

TILL NEXT TIME .............................................

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Great effort keith....well done on your trip to get a stinger.....You dont need 3lb of worm for next week...looking forward to the day..

·
Registered
Daiwa supercast M11 rods and Slosh 30 reels 30 reels
1,822 Posts
Unlucky on not getting your Stinger buddy but a great effort anyway.
Nice report and pics as always fella.

·
Registered
461 Posts
A good Recce for the future Notso . But still , another great write up .
Maybe for the Stingers , you will have to keep an eye on catch reports and use your local contact for the area and get to the mark short notice .
Tight lines .
Rich .

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Top effort bud, i'll be doing one more trip on the stingers this year then thats me done until next year lol

·
Premium Member
9,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all your kind comments guys. It was an interesting trip and I'm already planning a return next year but have my ear to the ground in case things kick off down there. So for now it will be back to the muddy waters of our channel. Although I'm heading west next week to fish with a couple of fellow members to try for a few Bass and maybe a GG or two. Happy Hooking All

·
Premium Member
9,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lovely report Keith, I hope I do as well when I'm down Selsey in a couple of weeks.
Hi Phil. From what I heard while down there, Selsey to Bognor is fairing better than the Western side of the Solent. Good luck with your trip 👍🦈🦈🦈🦈

·
Sole Man!
1,653 Posts
sounds like a great trip to me Keith, you'll get your stinger i'm sure.

Reactions: Notso
1 - 20 of 24 Posts