World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm keen to get fishing for mackerel and sea bass in and around Bangor, North Wales but don't know the best spots or the ideal rig for the area (im used to boat fishing and enjoy using jigs, poppers and plugs in the tropics).

Is there a suitable rod/reel combo that would be suitable for both species (and maybe a pollock etc.). I was considering a 7-8ft spinning rod and fixed spool reel with up to 15lb mono, using floating and shallow diving plugs (sea bass) and spinners and wedges (mackerel).

I should say that my budget is not huge either - £50 for a rod and reel combo (seeing some clearance sales atm) + extra for proven lures?

ive read that these are good; megabass zonk, rapala j13, dexter wedge, savage gear sandeels, Abu Toby floating

All advice is welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
I bought a 9ft spinning rod n reel from ABC tackle last yeat for 59.99 its served me well so far, its a sunset sunlure evo2 he still has them in n them come in 7/8ft aswell. Im looking to upgrade to a better setup this year now that ive got into the lures abit more but has been a good starting point for me with this setup

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your response. I have actually seen that rod and watched a YouTube video of some dude in Ireland using one too. Where are you fishing and what for? What lures were best? What are you thinking of Upgrading to and why?
Apologies for the Spanish Inquisition

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a mixture of surface lures(patchinko and savage gear popper prey) i also have a couple of cheaper hard lures that are coppies of some of the more expensive ones, also have some saandeel type soft lures.... Ive stayed away from expensive lures apart from the patchinko which is a surface lure purly cuz i felt i was learning the craft as they say and when i lost a £25 lure within a few casts of my first time ever lure fishing you can probably imagine how i felt....

Im looking to upgrade to a HTO nebula rod of 9ft but is a nice price aswell around £120-£160 depending on length and casting weights. im looking to upgrade as i feel the sunset rod is abit whipish in the tip and im looking for something abit stiffer that doesnt wobble so much at the tip so i can control the surface lures abit better when trying to do techniques such as walk the dog with surface lures.

I live in penmaenmawr, originally from llandudno and fish around the great orme, west shore and north shore for bass but anything is welcome tbh... Caught my first bass a few weeks back on a lure was only small but was great fun

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah yes, very wise. I did the same with a couple of expensive lures on my first giant trevally - hadn't reduced the drag prior either - smashed the popper as it hit the surface and dived. safe to say i panicked and didn't know what to do. Lost! lol.

Good work on the sea bass! i haven't caught one since i was a kid, fishing with my dad in Teignmouth, Devon. That was on a spinner in amongst a school of mackerel (the fish i was trying to catch), they were both pushing in the sandeels to the beach. think i took 7 that day. anyway...

how are the sandeel lures working?

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have a mixture of surface lures(patchinko and savage gear popper prey) i also have a couple of cheaper hard lures that are coppies of some of the more expensive ones, also have some saandeel type soft lures.... Ive stayed away from expensive lures apart from the patchinko which is a surface lure purly cuz i felt i was learning the craft as they say and when i lost a £25 lure within a few casts of my first time ever lure fishing you can probably imagine how i felt....

Im looking to upgrade to a HTO nebula rod of 9ft but is a nice price aswell around £120-£160 depending on length and casting weights. im looking to upgrade as i feel the sunset rod is abit whipish in the tip and im looking for something abit stiffer that doesnt wobble so much at the tip so i can control the surface lures abit better when trying to do techniques such as walk the dog with surface lures.

I live in penmaenmawr, originally from llandudno and fish around the great orme, west shore and north shore for bass but anything is welcome tbh... Caught my first bass a few weeks back on a lure was only small but was great fun
Do you want to sell the rod and reel as my wife has started fishing .

·
Registered
169 Posts
They can be worked like jigs or can just reel them in at different speeds, i bought 2 different ones last week from abc and one is a white colour which he said most people are using in a jig style and the other one was a grey/black one which he advised me to cast out and reel in at various speeds. I will be out this evening testing them out again so will keep you updated as im pretty much a novice myself

·
Registered
110 Posts
2 comments which may provoke some discussion.....

I generally use 10lb nylon for spinning - a compromise between distance cast and pulling lures free from snags.

My most successful size of Dexter wedge is 16g.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I'm not an advanced lure fisherman - like some on here, as I've mostly worked with bait all these years, but have caught my fair share of bass, pollack and of course mackerel by spinning. If you want affordable, long casting effective lures, the dexter wedge takes some beating in many conditions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts