World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm keen to get fishing for mackerel and sea bass in and around Bangor, North Wales but im mostly used to boat and rock fishing using jigs, poppers and plugs in the tropics (I’ve also posted this in north wales catch thread for mark tips).

Is there a suitable rod/reel combo that would be suitable for both species (and maybe a Cheeky pollock etc.). I was considering a 7-8ft medium power spinning rod and fixed spool reel with up to 15lb mono, using floating and shallow diving plugs (sea bass) and spinners and wedges (mackerel). I want to feel the fish and have fun, not just have something too heavy.

I should say that my budget is not huge either - £50 for a rod and reel combo (seeing some clearance sales atm) + extra for Any proven Recommended lures?

I’ve read that these Lures are good; megabass zonk, rapala j13, dexter wedge, savage gear sandeels, Abu Toby floating

All advice is welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Might have more luck in the lure fishing section although your budget is.....optimistic...?

Sorry can't be more help.

·
Registered
16,988 Posts
if your just going out on the occasion then any rod will do. don’t look to much in to it.
if you start getting serious about bass fishing then the worlds your oyster & it could end up an expensive hobby.
Go out and target a species. don’t go out in speck hoping to catch this that and the next thing or you’ll be disappointed. Research the fish your after and off course there’s always a big chance you can land something different

1 - 3 of 3 Posts