World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good afternoon members,

"Old Photo's are far more evocative than present day (photographs), guess it's the association with youth...?"
A sentiment probably shared by many anglers, advanced in years, when they come face to face with faded black and white stills, a snapshot from their past that inevitably evokes memories of "Day's Gone By", good or bad! The above comment arose out of a discussion on the content of the late John Darling's vintage book the "Sea Angling Guide to Britain and Ireland", delivered to my home and relates to a post on page 3 of the "Vintage Angling Books" forum.

John's well researched and conveniently laid out book is as relevant today as when it was published in 1982, a useful companion for those anglers who like to travel in search of the best of sea angling, and is available at almost a third of the price of the original, as per the inside cover, at £8.50 per copy. Maybe some of the routes would have been modernised, motorways introduced etc, but the coastline would remain virtually the same. As a guide, I paid £0.01p (that's not an error!) for the book which was in immaculate condition, plus £2.80 p & p, a total outlay of £2.81. Available through Amazon and E-bay. The story goes that the late Ian Gillespie was originally commissioned to produce this guide, but tragically died and John Darling was asked to carry on the work.

John enjoyed his times in Wales and particularly south Wales, which he saw as a gold mine of valuable content for articles and books as is the case with the guide. Included in the Guide are three prominent photographs with a Welsh association.

This photograph was taken at my ex factory unit where I ran my rod building business in Bridgend, and shows John explaining the properties of the various rods waiting distribution to Tackle shops in Wales and beyond, to Mike Miles, proprietor of Angling Supplies, Penarth Road, Cardiff and his son Mike Miles.

Paul Thomas, the then owner of the Fishing Boat "Bulldog" had invited John (Darling ) to join him and a couple of other anglers on a shark hunt out of Swansea. Collected from my house in early morning by Don Cartwright they made haste to Swansea docks, embarked and were on their way out to sea. Apparently, the conditions were very good, warm air temperature and calm seas, and soon Porbeagle Sharks were coming aboard with a frequency. The story goes that there was a lull in the proceedings followed by an almighty bite on Pauls rod which ended with a Welsh Record Blue shark being boated. There was concern on board that the shark was bleeding profusely, with the real risk of a substantial loss of weight. The captured fish was estimated at about 13 0 lbs and the current record at the time was not a lot more, so the First Aid Kit was raided and a significant number of elastoplasts plasters were applied to the wounds to slow or stop the flow of blood. This tactic proved successful and eventually the fish was awarded the Welsh record (131 1/2 lbs.) at the time. John wrote up the full story and it was published in the November 1981 issue of Sea Angling monthly

Of the three photographs published, this was the most unexpected and depicts myself fishing one of Johns highly productive marks, with the White Cliffs as a backdrop and the English Channel at the fore. For identity purposes, I am the angler second in from the rhs, with the beard, bobble hat and pale blue smock. John had proved the value of this mark on many occasions with umpteen double figure bass to its credit. Despite the fact that John had supplied quality, home picked Soft Edible and Velvet Swimmers, no bass came to the hook on this trip.

Hope you enjoy these reflections on the past!

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek)

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good evening Richard (1973),

Pleased that you enjoyed the read. Amazing how the years go by almost without noticing! Most of these events in the photographs took place between 30 and 35 years ago. Best wishes for the mornings mullet-ting and I look forward to reading your assessment of the current conditions and the availability of the mullet.

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek)

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
Met and wrote to john when I was young
Just given away his letters and one of his rods
To fans of him
He was a legend
Well and truly missed

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
Good afternoon members,

"Old Photo's are far more evocative than present day (photographs), guess it's the association with youth...?"
A sentiment probably shared by many anglers, advanced in years, when they come face to face with faded black and white stills, a snapshot from their past that inevitably evokes memories of "Day's Gone By", good or bad! The above comment arose out of a discussion on the content of the late John Darling's vintage book the "Sea Angling Guide to Britain and Ireland", delivered to my home and relates to a post on page 3 of the "Vintage Angling Books" forum.

View attachment 442954

John's well researched and conveniently laid out book is as relevant today as when it was published in 1982, a useful companion for those anglers who like to travel in search of the best of sea angling, and is available at almost a third of the price of the original, as per the inside cover, at £8.50 per copy. Maybe some of the routes would have been modernised, motorways introduced etc, but the coastline would remain virtually the same. As a guide, I paid £0.01p (that's not an error!) for the book which was in immaculate condition, plus £2.80 p & p, a total outlay of £2.81. Available through Amazon and E-bay. The story goes that the late Ian Gillespie was originally commissioned to produce this guide, but tragically died and John Darling was asked to carry on the work.

John enjoyed his times in Wales and particularly south Wales, which he saw as a gold mine of valuable content for articles and books as is the case with the guide. Included in the Guide are three prominent photographs with a Welsh association.

View attachment 443026

This photograph was taken at my ex factory unit where I ran my rod building business in Bridgend, and shows John explaining the properties of the various rods waiting distribution to Tackle shops in Wales and beyond, to Mike Miles, proprietor of Angling Supplies, Penarth Road, Cardiff and his son Mike Miles.

View attachment 443034

Paul Thomas, the then owner of the Fishing Boat "Bulldog" had invited John (Darling ) to join him and a couple of other anglers on a shark hunt out of Swansea. Collected from my house in early morning by Don Cartwright they made haste to Swansea docks, embarked and were on their way out to sea. Apparently, the conditions were very good, warm air temperature and calm seas, and soon Porbeagle Sharks were coming aboard with a frequency. The story goes that there was a lull in the proceedings followed by an almighty bite on Pauls rod which ended with a Welsh Record Blue shark being boated. There was concern on board that the shark was bleeding profusely, with the real risk of a substantial loss of weight. The captured fish was estimated at about 13 0 lbs and the current record at the time was not a lot more, so the First Aid Kit was raided and a significant number of elastoplasts plasters were applied to the wounds to slow or stop the flow of blood. This tactic proved successful and eventually the fish was awarded the Welsh record (131 1/2 lbs.) at the time. John wrote up the full story and it was published in the November 1981 issue of Sea Angling monthly

View attachment 443042

Of the three photographs published, this was the most unexpected and depicts myself fishing one of Johns highly productive marks, with the White Cliffs as a backdrop and the English Channel at the fore. For identity purposes, I am the angler second in from the rhs, with the beard, bobble hat and pale blue smock. John had proved the value of this mark on many occasions with umpteen double figure bass to its credit. Despite the fact that John had supplied quality, home picked Soft Edible and Velvet Swimmers, no bass came to the hook on this trip.

Hope you enjoy these reflections on the past!

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek)
used to fish with Ian Gillespie as well ticker
He used to fish a lot with Keith linsell the artist for the angling times
Met them on author wietzels boat out brad well Essex
Always used fixed spool reels and very light rods
Great pair of fishermen as well

Reactions: Ticker

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good evening Matt (H),

Good to hear from you again. You are right the C.G. "Angling Guide to Wales" has become a classic over the years, full of useful information about the south Wales coast and beyond. Hope the four of us can have a mullet get together later on in the season when they are about in numbers and the weather plays ball.

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek)

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Good evening Matt (H),

Good to hear from you again. You are right the C.G. "Angling Guide to Wales" has become a classic over the years, full of useful information about the south Wales coast and beyond. Hope the four of us can have a mullet get together later on in the season when they are about in numbers and the weather plays ball.

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek)
Looking forward to the Mullet again Derek, I did have a few hrs on them last night... plenty of ground bait went in but no movement on the Mullet front, we'll have a get together as soon as they start showing in numbers.

Matt

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good morning Matt (H) and members,

Thank you for the update on the mullet. Viewing the last of the trio of old photographs, the one with the fishing scenario at one of John's "hot spots", looking back, the incoming flood gives the impression that the surrounding ground was level when in fact it was far from it and extremely dangerous territory unless guided by someone like John who new the spot intimately. In between the close positioned sea-weed covered rock fishing stations, there were narrow, deep gullies bordered by sharp, unforgiving rock surfaces which were a serious accident waiting to happen for anyone who put a foot wrong, any angler making a fast retreat trying to beat the incoming flood could easily fall foul of these natural hazards! In hindsight, I would guess that this ground facing the English Channel, was probably one of the most challenging that I had encountered at that time and certainly not for the faint hearted. Reportedly, the risks were more than offset by the potential rewards when tackled by quality sea angling tactics, techniques, and familiarity with the inherent dangers!

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I used to have a copy of Clive Hammond book when I was a youngster. Can't remember what happened to it, probably thumbed it to death, I was constantly reading that book. If I remember rightly, it had a pic of Clive with a shore caught Tope from the Gower.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good morning Chris (Moore),

You are absolutely right about the book and there are still second hand ones, even 1st editions around if you know where to look, at ridiculously low prices. As I said in a previous post, I paid £0.01 p (that's right) for the book and £2.8o p & p. The condition of my copy was near mint not a tear only a slight crease in the jacket, the pages were mint and looked as if the book had never been read. Just been talking to a neighbour and he said that good weather is promised for this week, if this is so then I will make the effort and get out with my Mepps. It is stunningly sunny outside the house but a large front of black clouds are moving ever closer towards us from a northerly direction!!!!

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek)

·
Registered
587 Posts
I used to have a copy of Clive Hammond book when I was a youngster. Can't remember what happened to it, probably thumbed it to death, I was constantly reading that book. If I remember rightly, it had a pic of Clive with a shore caught Tope from the Gower.
I think you mean Clive Gammon's guide to fishing Wales. The photo was of him catching a tope off Broughton bay when there used to be a massive channel running close in. The last time I was there in the boat I did manage to find a depth of around 8ft. Sadly the channel has filled in. Great read that book though.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good evening members,

Just out of curiosity due to the expressed interest in the late John Darlings book "The Sea Angler's Guide to Britain and Ireland" (published 1982), Amazon are advertising 14 second hand copies at £0.01p each plus p & p on average at £2.80. Some would consider that a Bargain!

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek)

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Good morning members,

"Definitely This Seasons Best Catch"

I would, respectfully, like to draw your attention to a particular, interesting piece of history detailing the collection and amount of data that went into the publication of John's book. On page 3 of the "Vintage Angling Books" forum, member CELOCANT has published a copy of the promotional advert about "The Sea Angler's Guide to Britain and Ireland", headed up by the claim "Definitely This Seasons Best Catch". The leaflet goes on to disclose that over 1200 tackle shops and sea angling clubs were canvassed "to obtain the most up-to-date-information on each area" together with a detailed and comprehensive list of information requested "which makes this book an indispensable guide for all who are interested in sea angling".

CELOCANT has also published a copy of a letter from the publishers Lutterworth Press, dated 16th August 1982, addressed to "Dear Contributor", a thank you letter for the information supplied and signed by J.R. Sams (Sales Manager at the time).

In my opinion, CELOCANT's post is of historical interest and gives the reader an idea of the effort and depth of information required to put together any significant Sea Angling literature. This post is worth a visit, and the link to page 3, Vintage Angling Books is as follows:
http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/threads/vintage-angling-books.2716169/

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.