World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Nice one. To what bait and hook size did it fall to?

G

·
I've caught them there on a size 4 nordic bend fine wire hooks and rag. If I remember correctly about 5 yards down the slope from the railings. It's the only place I have caught them, I've seen plenty under weed when searching for peelers on beaches but catching one on rod and line is a different matter

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've caught them there on a size 4 nordic bend fine wire hooks and rag. If I remember correctly about 5 yards down the slope from the railings. It's the only place I have caught them, I've seen plenty under weed when searching for peelers on beaches but catching one on rod and line is a different matter
Yep was in virtually the same place........was delighted went it come out after a deluge of rock gobies! Topknot, tadpole , dragonet and butterfly blenny next on the list...

G

·
Yep was in virtually the same place........was delighted went it come out after a deluge of rock gobies! Topknot, tadpole , dragonet and butterfly blenny next on the list...
We have had trigger fish from the same spot using the same tactics later in the year, it's a great place for species.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
How many specimens you got to go then, or do you just keep counting until you reach a certain point, or there's Nothing left to catch, species wise.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How many specimens you got to go then, or do you just keep counting until you reach a certain point, or there's Nothing left to catch, species wise.
The aim of the species hunt I'm in is to catch as many as possible which is getting harder and harder.......got until 31st March......I'm on 41 now and I've caught 51 species overall since I've been sea fishing so will need a few new species if I'm to do well in this species hunt

G

·
Funnily enough I've looked at Brunel quay as a possible mark for dragonets
I've said on another thread that I've caught dragonettes at Cwm yr Eglwys in the past, not often but it's possible to catch there. All sorts of small stuff along the rock fringes too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've said on another thread that I've caught dragonettes at Cwm yr Eglwys in the past, not often but it's possible to catch there. All sorts of small stuff along the rock fringes too.
Yeah had a few fish there, where have you had them out on the rocks into the bay or off the beach? I usually fish far out on the left hand side

G

·
Yeah had a few fish there, where have you had them out on the rocks into the bay or off the beach? I usually fish far out on the left hand side
On smaller tides or over low we fish onto the sand from the rocks by the concrete platform that used to the base for a diving board. On bigger tides we fish from the top of the churchyard wall.
I use my flattie rods there so I never fish at any great distance.

Dragonettes are usually on the sandy patches of other places where I fish, not in the rough or rocks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On smaller tides or over low we fish onto the sand from the rocks by the concrete platform that used to the base for a diving board. On bigger tides we fish from the top of the churchyard wall.
I use my flattie rods there so I never fish at any great distance.

Dragonettes are usually on the sandy patches of other places where I fish, not in the rough or rocks.
Have to try that then, never fished off the beach onto the sand.........are they a seasonal catch or are they to be had this time of year?

G

·
Down in Dorset they are around all year, haven't fished Pembs all through a year, mainly from March to October, i.e. when the rain is warmer.

I can't remember the time of year when I caught one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts