World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
put some nylon rollers on the trailer yesterday and got my son to push the boat to see wat they were like, well note of warning to anyone thinking of buying them ?:clap2: the boat went back with no force wat so ever and almost came of the trailer all for the winch rope still attached, then to winch the boat back on the trailer was so easy it was a big shock to what im used to:clap3:

if your old rubbers are stiff and flat dont waste your money getting more rubber ones get the nylon rollers , i payed ten pounds for them and needed 3 rollers .
the best 30 pounds iv spent in a long time.:clap2:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
put some nylon rollers on the trailer yesterday and got my son to push the boat to see wat they were like, well note of warning to anyone thinking of buying them ?:clap2: the boat went back with no force wat so ever and almost came of the trailer all for the winch rope still attached, then to winch the boat back on the trailer was so easy it was a big shock to what im used to:clap3:

if your old rubbers are stiff and flat dont waste your money getting more rubber ones get the nylon rollers , i payed ten pounds for them and needed 3 rollers .
the best 30 pounds iv spent in a long time.:clap2:
getting the boat ready then ERIC?? are you taking it away with you??

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Make sure you have a keel band fitted before using the nylon rollers or you will end up with the gelcoat damaged on the keel.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Let me know what it's like towing with them. I keep hearing it can get a bouncy with them fitted.
Cheers.
From one side of the trailer, over the boat, & attach it to the other side of the trailer, the whole thing can jump up in the air now, but not just the boat on the trailer!;)
blueskip

·
Raider 18 Owner
6,488 Posts
Iv Been Thinking Of Changing The Rollers To Nylon One's Do Indispension Sell Them

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From one side of the trailer, over the boat, & attach it to the other side of the trailer, the whole thing can jump up in the air now, but not just the boat on the trailer!;)
blueskip
im sure if the strap is tight it wont lift, but as blueskip says the whole lot should lift. and you dont tow if its not tied down ,good point blueskip

·
Registered
408 Posts
Even with a tight strap the boat will still bounce on the rollers a little. With rubber rollers there's a little shock absortion. I just keep hearing from people that it can make towing a little unpleasant and as my boat's pretty heavy it concerns me.
I guess I'll just fit them one day and drive around the block a few times - the roads round here are pretty crap so it should show up any problems.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even with a tight strap the boat will still bounce on the rollers a little. With rubber rollers there's a little shock absortion. I just keep hearing from people that it can make towing a little unpleasant and as my boat's pretty heavy it concerns me.
I guess I'll just fit them one day and drive around the block a few times - the roads round here are pretty crap so it should show up any problems.
let you know how i get on mate

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
At £20 a time that will be an expensive experiment! OK if you can take them back if you dont like them, otherwise you could end up with some expensive ornaments.
blueskip

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
The rear 2 or 3 rollers take most of the weight and do the most rolling when launching / retrieving. When I had a trailer with keel rollers I found the 4 fitted as standard were totally inadequate. I fitted a further 5 rollers mainly at the back. I used a couple of nylon rollers right at the back, made a hell of a difference, single handed launch literally and much easier to winch the boat on the trailer.

I fitted a wide, full length 316L keel band that started behind the winching eye and wrapped a couple of inches up the transom. I also replaced all the mild steel pins the rollers fit on with stainless.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The rear 2 or 3 rollers take most of the weight and do the most rolling when launching / retrieving. When I had a trailer with keel rollers I found the 4 fitted as standard were totally inadequate. I fitted a further 5 rollers mainly at the back. I used a couple of nylon rollers right at the back, made a hell of a difference, single handed launch literally and much easier to winch the boat on the trailer.

I fitted a wide, full length 316L keel band that started behind the winching eye and wrapped a couple of inches up the transom. I also replaced all the mild steel pins the rollers fit on with stainless.
Hello Chris
How many do recon I should fit on mine, I was thinking 3 or 4, my trailer is a Hallmark roller 8 and the boat [Leeward] sits on its's 2 swinging cradles.
Because of awkward shape of the cathedral hull [if that's what you call it] she's a bit stiff to roll off.
I though 3 or 4 nylon rollers would make all the difference.
Rgds TB

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Putting keel rollers on it would make it very difficult to load the boat Tony. As it is with swinging cradles it is virtually self centreing, if you add keel rollers you will loose that I think and have to centre the boat very precisely for recovery. I would prefer the self centreing ability especially with the wind and current I launch into.

What I would do is increase the number of rollers on the cradles, if there are only 4 to a cradle you could double them up to 8 by adding another couple of bars. if there is no room then you could contact the manufacturer of the trailer and get the next size cradle they make, the parts are quite often interchangeable. If there is room you may also want to consider adding another complete swinging arm with another set of cradles / rollers as far back as you can.

Also give them a good dosing with Wurth spray grease or simiar, it goes on thin but when the solvent evaporates it is real stick and slippy. Mine is sat on 40 rollers and is a one handed launch but I do keep them all well greased.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Putting keel rollers on it would make it very difficult to load the boat Tony. As it is with swinging cradles it is virtually self centreing, if you add keel rollers you will loose that I think and have to centre the boat very precisely for recovery. I would prefer the self centreing ability especially with the wind and current I launch into.

What I would do is increase the number of rollers on the cradles, if there are only 4 to a cradle you could double them up to 8 by adding another couple of bars. if there is no room then you could contact the manufacturer of the trailer and get the next size cradle they make, the parts are quite often interchangeable. If there is room you may also want to consider adding another complete swinging arm with another set of cradles / rollers as far back as you can.

Also give them a good dosing with Wurth spray grease or simiar, it goes on thin but when the solvent evaporates it is real stick and slippy. Mine is sat on 40 rollers and is a one handed launch but I do keep them all well greased.
What I was considering was keeping the cradles, and the first keel roller would come into play after she has climbed over the rear cradle.
One just behind the axle, one on the axle, then one or two in front of the axle.
The trailer would still be the same two swinging cradles but if I get it right, about 60% of the boats weight on the keel rollers, well thats the theory anyway, I was going to make crossmembers from wood in the experimenting stages, and when I get it right, fabricate steel box section to match the trailer, that would be clamped in place. Then once I'm satisfied, get it galvanised before fitting.
Or does that, not sound like a plan?
At the moment when she comes over the rear cradle the boat also tends to go nose down before getting on to the forward cradle.
Rgds Tony

1 - 18 of 18 Posts