World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a cracking few days out in Oban, species caught on the trip were cod, pollock, whiting, dabs, conger, coalfish, mackerel, dogfish. Took my own sib but ended up fishing on 3 different boats with mates on theirs.
20171015_182141.jpg
20171014_102003.jpg
20171014_132648.jpg
20171012_155838.jpg
20171015_152959.jpg
20171015_143508.jpg
20171014_111451.jpg
20171014_181133.jpg
Not the best conditions for small boats but got out everyday thanks god! No skate unfortunately not for lack of trying! Also was given 3 massive brown crab by a new fishing buddy I met. East coast next trip in December for the cod

Registered
Well done man, at least you got out and nice to see something other than skate being targeted from a boat, recently got a 17ft wilson flyer and hoping to do some exploratory fishing for a little bit of everything which of course does include skate! Hopefully looking for an area to target tope regularly

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well done man, at least you got out and nice to see something other than skate being targeted from a boat, recently got a 17ft wilson flyer and hoping to do some exploratory fishing for a little bit of everything which of course does include skate! Hopefully looking for an area to target tope regularly
Ah sounds great pal, some cracking tope showing in some of the lochs isn't there, can't believe it's not rife with how many bait fish are there!

Registered
Ah sounds great pal, some cracking tope showing in some of the lochs isn't there, can't believe it's not rife with how many bait fish are there!
Not sure, tope are present but from the information I can find and talking to some of the skippers from the charter boats it seem to be occasional captures of single large females 50lbs+ with very few pack tope in the 20lbs - 30lbs range.

I always thought Ardmucknish bay might be worth a look as it's rarely fished and is wall to wall covered in juvenile flatties including plaice, dabs and flounder which are important prey items for tope.

If you don't mind me asking where about did you's fish catching these species? Although if it's a secret don't worry I understand, BTW you may catch larger from the boat but that's a nice Saithe for round here maybe not from some of reefs and wrecks but quite frankly I don't know but from certainly from the shore. The firth of lorn isn't really known for larger gadoids with the exception of pollack or flatties as the region is a nursery area for many of these species although the odd larger cod ~10lbs or ling do put in an appearance for boat anglers targeting skate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts