World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At last the weather forecast was looking good. A trip to Oban was long overdue but first we prepared by digging ragworm from the Forth.

Hard digging amongst the rocks but worth it in case the pollack might be hard to tempt.

We launched the boat mid-morning with the tide ebbing. Just a gentle breeze and things were looking good. Allan does a decent impersonation of a crewman - he earns his keep on these trips!

About 5 miles down the coast and we were on the reefs, just a gentle swell and no wind. One boat there before us - never seen anyone fishing this reef before so it felt crowded!

This bunch of 'poachers' anyone on the forum?

The drift over my favourite pinnacle was too short so I dropped the grapnel on the high point. Just 15' deep but dropping to about 80 within a few yards.

Christened a new baitcasting outfit on a few pollack to 4lb, dropped a bigger fish at the edge of the landing net. One small pollack took me through some weird weed. This photo shows my new baitcaster with the weed draped over the boat rail.

Lost a couple of good fish with the line being cut on the rocks but we had a steady run of fish between 2lb-5lb.

The sun came out as the flood tide started. Fish proved very difficult to tempt then but we had a few for eating and had returned plenty more.

Has summer finally arrived?:sun:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks like you had a good day out!

Last time I was in Oban fishing was a few weeks back, caught bugger all! Well the father caught a tiny mackerel. We ended up giving up and going about the town for an hour haha. I love Oban, one of the best places in Scotland.

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
2,629 Posts
excellent report mate.

sounds like a good session. cracking pic of the pollock mate.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Nice Pollack mate, i hope you enjoyed your tea. I thought that was a crows nest when i first seen it lol.

Steven

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice report Steve...the boat looks good m8 :thumbs:
The old Vimar is going well. Had it running at 29mph on the way back. Will go a little faster, just needed a good burn. Long while since it was calm enough to run WOT.

One of the previous owners must have fitted the centre consul. I forget it's a small boat whilst standing at that stainless wheel - all I need is the 'Captains' cap:cool::rolleyes:. Even has cup holders on the left-hand side - :oops: ....that should read PORT.

Good day to be out. Would have expected bigger fish but did not have time to stay until sunset - they normally feed as the light fades.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts