World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm originally from Oban and only moved away at the end of last summer - shortly after getting into fishing again for the first time since i was a wee boy!

Last year I mostly went off the (very very popular) rocks at Dunollie Castle - but never cuaght anything more exciting than some fat mackrel. A couple of weeks ago, a mate and I tried the rocks below the cliff past Ganavan - only managing to catch a wee starfish!

I'm intending on going back every couple of weeks over this summer and I was hoping some of you could recommend a few spots near town.

Apparently theres some dogfish to be caught in the sound near Puffin Dive. Has anyone tried there? or got any other suggestions?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi Jimbo,

I had a go last year down past Puffin dive, if you carry on past the caravan site road and go as far as the gatehouse you will notice that its a dead end, turnaround and head back up the road about 50 yards park up the verge in the passing spot at the corner, you should see some rocky outcrops I used this as a mark last year had 5 doggies for 4 hours fishing

bait was mackeral and squid

(watch out for the lobster pots, you may have 2 fish between them)

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
i was fishing opposite the isle of kerrea just south of the ferry pick up and before the puffin divers.
caught doggies , sea scorpion on baited hooks also macerel , coalies on lures not bad though i am going back this year as well.
check my site out for pics
sultzer's sea fishing

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys - will probably give it a go next time I'm there.

Sultzer - lovin that coalfish :D

Has anyone tried going off the piers in town? I've seen people fishing there, but dont think I've ever seen a catch. I once, on my way out to dunollie, tried for an hour over by the ice factory - hoping the fishing boats would attract fish looking an easy meal - but no luck. I think the water might have been a bit to manky for them. :s

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi jimbo,

I have a mate who went fishing there for a long weekend and tried a few marks near the others mentioned on this thread. The only place he and his pals blanked was at the pier!! :confused: :confused: Although I dunno which pier they tried. Probably just bad luck though. :eek:

cheers,

Shad,

·
Registered
138 Posts
hi jimbo i stayed in the campsite there last year had 10 mack fishing the rocks at the bottom of the camp site near puffing drive just kept moving that was just after first light olso fish the same rocks there all day without a bite soon as darkfall came so did the dog fish 8 of them in 2 hours olso tried the rocks u spoke of at gannavan had a good day there spinning 8 mack 3 pollock one of the pollock must have been 8lbs could not get down to the water broke of when tryed to hand it up :) hope this help u :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts