World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,out with a new skipper today,colin currie:clap3: :clap3: :clap3: about 8 takes(might be wrong but first time going for skate)1 hook up:clap3: 111lb male (i didnt catch it)full report+pics to follow.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
hi , i will look forward too the pics,

im sure it must be great hooking up with sumit like that, im sure i will give it a go sometime.

Andy

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi all,the charter we booked for sunday had to cancel us(plenty of notice re booked for june)so donald was phoned,but he was booked for both saturday+sunday.he put us onto a chap called Collin Currie:clap3:(M.V. HEATHER ISLE) no probs for sunday meet you at the north pier at 9.00am(he supplied all the gear).as we headed out the harbour we saw Donald on his boat empty,turns out he was cancelled on Saturday:uhuh: .got to the mark at 10.00 rods put out and waited.Colin said it would probably be at the turn of the tide before there was any takes,he was only about 10mins out.11.15 Davids rod goes after a 5min wait he was told to bring it up(450 feet of water)after alot of sweat+cursing 11.45 the beast breaks the surface to loud cheers:clap2: 111lb male.i think the measurements were 73" nose to tail and 58" wing to wing.at about 1 oclock we moved to deeper water 500 feet,we had some more takes during the afternoon but no more fish...........till the very end.Colin said we would leave at 4 oclock at about 3.45 my rod went,the other rods were brought up except mine and Billys.cant rember what he was doing so i started to bring mine up,nothing. Billy still hadnt started on his when mine was up.then came a cry of AM SNAGGED ON THE F****** BOTTOM.we were told before that it was clean ground,so did Billy had a fish on?for 30mins he tried to get some movement but in the end the line went slack, Colin said it was a definite fish.i think Billy was glad in the end because he was struggling.we all had a great day, just to catch 1 skate was good enough for us.great skipper,good laugh+weather was to hot.

Attachments

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
nice one guys i will get round to it one day i am sure ,your pictures are top rate well done:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

for a male Skate it seems to have something missing.. ie claspers :g: or am I looking at the wrong pictures ??

So given it's sudden sex change, it will now be a 141lb female :clap3:

As for the missed runs, to miss one or two is bad luck.. to miss 8 your doing something wrong or it wasn't skate runs.

thornback.. PM me with the dates of the next weekend you can manage

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hiya,

for a male Skate it seems to have something missing.. ie claspers :g: or am I looking at the wrong pictures ??

So given it's sudden sex change, it will now be a 141lb female :clap3:

As for the missed runs, to miss one or two is bad luck.. to miss 8 your doing something wrong or it wasn't skate runs.

Hi Davy,the skipper lifted the tale and said it was a male,we have never fished for skate before so are all novices.what are claspers?:giveup:
as for the missed runs, the lines were brought up and the bait was gone?

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Hi Davy,the skipper lifted the tale and said it was a male,we have never fished for skate before so are all novices.what are claspers?:giveup:
LOL you wouldn't need to lift it's tale to see it was a male.. the clasper's are the males sexual organs and they are rather unmissable as can be seen on this pic

as for the missed runs, the lines were brought up and the bait was gone?
That's a normal thing, the baits are soon chomped away with small Spurries, doggies etc, quite often baits will be gone in less than 10 minutes if they are are a few Spurs about.
Skate takes and runs are pretty distinctive as is the damage they do to a bait.

I must admit, from what you have told us so far.. I think it was the skippers first trip for them also :uhuh: :uhuh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts