World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Oban

2K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Allstar 
#1 ·
I'm having a couple of weeks hols end of May in and around Clachan-Seil and would appreciate knowledge of some local shore spots and baits usually used. Thanks.

#3 ·
Wow, you will be spoilt for choice. I was staying at Etive a couple of years ago ( back again this summer) and had a drive around Seil Island, it is a beautiful place, with so many rock marks I would have liked to try, but never had the chance. I would think Pollack, Ray, Conger,Wrasse, Doggies,Flats, maybe some Cod.
I dont know about bait but the usual should see you right.... Squid, Mackerel, and if you could find some worm maybe they would help. I am sure that chucking out some soft plastics, spinners, plugs or similar would provide sport on a spinning rod.

Dave.

#5 ·
Wow, you will be spoilt for choice. I was staying at Etive a couple of years ago ( back again this summer) and had a drive around Seil Island, it is a beautiful place, with so many rock marks I would have liked to try, but never had the chance. I would think Pollack, Ray, Conger,Wrasse, Doggies,Flats, maybe some Cod.
I dont know about bait but the usual should see you right.... Squid, Mackerel, and if you could find some worm maybe they would help. I am sure that chucking out some soft plastics, spinners, plugs or similar would provide sport on a spinning rod.

Dave.
Thanks for your response Dave. Hopefully I'll be able to get as much gear I can into the car to enable me to try as many options as possible.

Regards

Alastair

#6 ·
most places around easdale are god for Pollock ,if you head down to the ferry for the island and look to your right theres a car park
if you go there and look at the point to your right (its a climbbut ok with a free hand)I usually go round there and I use jellys,and float
also in the village down there,there is a quarry that's good for conger and just at the mouth its good for Pollock but its still early.
anyway good luck
and tight lines

#7 ·
most places around easdale are god for Pollock ,if you head down to the ferry for the island and look to your right theres a car park
if you go there and look at the point to your right (its a climbbut ok with a free hand)I usually go round there and I use jellys,and float
also in the village down there,there is a quarry that's good for conger and just at the mouth its good for Pollock but its still early.
anyway good luck
and tight lines
Thanks for your response, looks like I'm in for an interesting couple of weeks and I would appear to be spoilt for choice.

#8 ·
fished it a few years ago if you head north along the coast road theres a nice little park ,very easy parking and park benches to fish from . rocky bottom with conger and decent pollock a plenty! be warned if you want crab or worm baits take it with you all thats available are fish baits. take a couple of abu tobys but only in the gold as the pollock wont touch any other colour. as an aside if hes open try the shellfish stall on the harbour, some of the best hot smoked fish i have ever tasted! enjoy you fortnight
regards steve

#9 ·
fished it a few years ago if you head north along the coast road theres a nice little park ,very easy parking and park benches to fish from . rocky bottom with conger and decent pollock a plenty! be warned if you want crab or worm baits take it with you all thats available are fish baits. take a couple of abu tobys but only in the gold as the pollock wont touch any other colour. as an aside if hes open try the shellfish stall on the harbour, some of the best hot smoked fish i have ever tasted! enjoy you fortnight
regards steve
Thanks for the info Steve. Fishing from benches sounds ideal for the good lady wife, as long as the sun is out for her! Spinning rod at the ready.

#10 ·
Hi All, I'm new to this forum. I was guided here by a member at another forum. I will be visiting Oban in the middle of June and am looking for a Fishing Charter. I've tried contacting Oberon and Ronnie Campbell but they're fully booked during the days I'm there. Would anyone be able to recommend any others?

Thanks,
Paul

#11 ·
May up that way take some midgie repellant, it can be hoaching at times. I've never fished Seil Island though most of the ground up that way is mixed to rough, so plan on loosing leads and rigs. There tends to be a fair bit of rope kicking about too from boats and the fish farms that you can get caught up on. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

#12 ·
I was up at Connel above Oban last week on the yak and only caught pin Whiting the guy in the van next to me was shore fishing.

He went to Easdale which is right next to where you are going. He and others caught skate to a claimed 100lb on mackerel.

Sorry don't know more detail than that as it was the wife who spoke to him whilst i was testing out the dry suit!!!

Regards Clive

#13 ·
Fished seil and the area a few times last year and had mixed success. Travel light with a good selection of jelly worms. I caught on cannibal shad lures and red tail black jellys. Avarage size was around the pound mark with a few good fish thrown in around two pounds. Can be a strange place fishes great one day next day nothing in almost the same conditions

#14 ·
Hi Paul, if you have your own gear, you could hire a boat yourself and fish in Loch Etive, see below link.

TFC Boats, boat hire and fishing on Loch Etive in Taynuilt near Oban Scotland

Doug Bannatyne who looks after the boats can provide bait, fishing in the Loch can produce Spurdog, Ray, Cod, Ling, Mackerel, Trout, the list goes on.

Taynuilt is only about 4 miles out of Oban, a great place !

Failing that, I have a half days boat hire myself on 21st June, if you are around you can tag along for half the boat hire price, it will only be for 4 hours, but maybe enough for a taster for you.

Dave

#17 ·
etives ..*******s ...spent two days up there this weekend ..with only five fish total from six rods all weekend both from a charter boat we hired and a day shore fishin at the church and the quarry...place is SERIOUSLY low on decent fish ...
Just cos you couldn't catch anything on 2 given days the place is seriously low on fish???? Lol..

Are you a fisheries scientist by any chance? :unsure:

#21 ·
Etive is a place that imo isnt heaving with fish, you have to work at it, my last visit provided Cod, Pollack, Whiting, Ray, Ling, Mackerel,Doggies, I think one of my mates had a Wrasse, but cant be certain.
The fish are there,but you have to be prepared to search around for them, and be prepared to try out different methods until you find what is working on the day. I think Big Spurrie and others have had some clonkers out in the past..
One thing I do know, and that is the fishing is unlike any I have done elsewhere in the British isles, I have never gone from fishing baits hard on the bottom in 300 ft of water, to chucking lures along a rock edge, all within 80 feet of each other.
I sussed out pretty quickly that if I was not catching, and didnt want to catch any fish, I should just keep on doing what I was doing, If I did want to catch some,then I had to chop and change until I found what worked .

BTW I was only there for two days as well. :fish:

Dave.

#22 ·
Good luck in your quest Alastair. You've certainly had a good response to help you out. I don't know of some of the places mentioned, but I do know a bit about Loch Etive.

As for Etive...it's the proverbial hit or miss mark. There's loads of tales of people having great sport one day, then nothing the next, fishing the same conditions. It really is a strange place, but I like it. The one problem with the place is that too much rain seriously affects the fishing there.

There's such a variety of fish in the loch. Some days you'll try everything and catch nowt, but there's always the hope of a decent spur or thornie for example. On that note, ensure you have plastic coated wire on your snoods. If there are spurdogs about, they'll chomp through your typical snood line with ease. I've had a whiting hammered on the way in and one clean bite leaving nothing but the head. Use the wire. Great fish!

I even caught a British record tadpole fish on the opposite side from the quarry (I couldn't claim it as I didn't tap it on the head). Not fished Etive for a while now, but I'll be fishing it in the near future. It's a definite night fishing mark and you will probably be fishing very deep water, so make sure you have ample line on your reel and even a spare reel/s and/or line. If you had to use one bait only, mackerel will catch you any fish that swims there.

I hope you're lucky!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.